AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 1233 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
And tvs only have 1 eARC port so this isn't a good solution even if eARC worked perfectly. Might be something for LG to consider for the X1/11 series next year, add eARC to the other ports.
You only need one eARC port as you only need one AVR.

So basically to get full HDMI 2.1 functionality for next gen consoles you need to be swapping them in and out constantly, which is not optimal.
That's why everyone with more than one console will connect them to the TV. The LG B9, C9 and CX have four 4K120 ports. The LG BX only has two so should be avoided if you plan on having more than one gaming device.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't understand your point about a new TV purchase. Buying a new TV with 48Gbps ports is absolutely a requirement to being able to use 4K120 with the upcoming consoles.
Anyone with a serious home theater or gaming setup opts to route all sources through the AVR then a single output to the display device. But with the advent of Xbox Series X, PS5 and new HDMI 2.1 enabled PC graphics card coming this year, it's not ideal to channel all the sources into the TV. It's the opposite of how AV and home theater have been since the beginning. It's not complicated.

However, with LG being the only confirmed TV manufacturer to provide all HDMI ports in 2.1 on their OLED line, their cost may be a limiting factor for consumers not able to afford such luxuries on top of the other investments needed to take advantage of all the advances in gaming tech coming this year.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
everyone with more than one console will connect them to the TV. The LG B9, C9 and CX have four 4K120 ports. The LG BX only has two so should be avoided if you plan on having more than one gaming device.
Wait the CX has less ports? It is a step back? Or is this because if eARC?

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Anyone with a serious home theater or gaming setup opts to route all sources through the AVR then a single output to the display device. But with the advent of Xbox Series X, PS5 and new HDMI 2.1 enabled PC graphics card coming this year, it's not ideal to channel all the sources into the TV. It's the opposite of how AV and home theater have been since the beginning. It's not complicated.

However, with LG being the only confirmed TV manufacturer to provide all HDMI ports in 2.1 on their OLED line, their cost may be a limiting factor for consumers not able to afford such luxuries on top of the other investments needed to take advantage of all the advances in gaming tech coming this year.
I have a serious home theater setup and not everything is hooked up to the AVR. Why isn't it ideal to connect the gaming devices to the TV? It's just a matter of where the devices are located and the length of cable required to get the output to either the TV or the AVR. There are some cases where there's a restriction on cabling but that's just poor planning on the room's designer.

No, in the begging the video went to the TV and the audio went to the AVR. The reason that the AVR became the hub is because the AVR manufacturers were the smart ones and included more than a couple of HDMI ports.

So instead of spending money on a new AVR and a new TV, put it all into the TV and get one with multiple 4K120 ports.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a serious home theater setup and not everything is hooked up to the AVR. Why isn't it ideal to connect the gaming devices to the TV? It's just a matter of where the devices are located and the length of cable required to get the output to either the TV or the AVR. There are some cases where there's a restriction on cabling but that's just poor planning on the room's designer.

No, in the begging the video went to the TV and the audio went to the AVR. The reason that the AVR became the hub is because the AVR manufacturers were the smart ones and included more than a couple of HDMI ports.

So instead of spending money on a new AVR and a new TV, put it all into the TV and get one with multiple 4K120 ports.

But I have an even more serious home theater and don’t want a TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frohlich

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Are HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz projectors coming out this year? I don't follow the projector tech advancements. If so you're going to have to replace the HDMI cable going to it anyways so might as well run more than one if you're into gaming.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A bummer it's only 1 48Gbps port, did they mention or hint at whether that port will be for the other Denons coming in the fall or just the 8000 series? And when will they be adding more 48Gbps ports?
This will be the case for the upgrade board of the 8500H and their new AVRs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz projectors coming out this year? I don't follow the projector tech advancements. If so you're going to have to replace the HDMI cable going to it anyways so might as well run more than one if you're into gaming.

I’m not sure, but I don’t buy AVRs every year. My current AVR has been with me about 7 years. I’m sure at some point in the next 7-10 years we’ll see such projectors.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
At least someone understands what a home theater vs entertainment system is.
Home theater does not mean it has to be a projector as the output device. But if you want to use a more narrow definition of the term be my guest. Doesn't change the fact that if you only have room in the conduit for one HDMI cable, to a projector or a TV, then that's nobody's fault but your own (or the previous owner who built the room).

Don't get me wrong here, I think that one 48Gbps port on an AVR is silly. They should have at least gone for two.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
I’m not sure, but I don’t buy AVRs every year. My current AVR has been with me about 7 years. I’m sure at some point in the next 7-10 years we’ll see such projectors.
That's my point. If the 4K120 projectors are not going to be available for a few years then there's no need to buy a 4K120 AVR this year or next.

It's the people who want 4K120 as soon as the next gen consoles and video cards come out are the ones that need to compromise a bit if they want to run more than one without swapping cables (which should be avoided).

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

I have the upmost in serious home theaters (aka the mostest serious of all time!!!!!) and won't even think of upgrading until HDMI 2.2...HDMI 2.1 is for amatures :p

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Actually, it is but that's an instructional course for another topic.
Be pedantic all you want. I'm going to continue to use the more general definition.

But nobody answered my question. Is there a 4K120 projector available this year or next? If no then using a projector with a 4K120 AVR right now is moot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's my point. If the 4K120 projectors are not going to be available for a few years then there's no need to buy a 4K120 AVR this year or next.

It's the people who want 4K120 as soon as the next gen consoles and video cards come out are the ones that need to compromise a bit if they want to run more than one without swapping cables (which should be avoided).

My current AVR doesn’t even support 4k60. I’m having to use an external switcher and have been looking for a more modern AVR with Atmos etc...

I just won’t buy a stop gap AVR that I’ll be wishing to upgrade due to lack or ports in 2-3 years again, or be back In the same situation with external switchers so soon.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
My current AVR doesn’t even support 4k60. I’m having to use an external switcher and have been looking for a more modern AVR with Atmos etc...

I just won’t buy a stop gap AVR that I’ll be wishing to upgrade due to lack or ports in 2-3 years again, or be back In the same situation with external switchers so soon.
Wonder how much external 4K120 switchers are going to come out and how much will they go for.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Be pedantic all you want. I'm going to continue to use the more general definition.

But nobody answered my question. Is there a 4K120 projector available this year or next? If no then using a projector with a 4K120 AVR right now is moot.

Even if I used a TV.. I actually used to use a TV behind a drop down screen at one point. I’m wired for conduit to the Screen location (where the TV used to be) and the projector..

The cables will be a problem. I had challenges finding one good , reasonably priced 18gbps cable for my 25ft and 35ft runs...

Having to source several, when already they’re saying the nominal length will be up to 10ft for 48gbps ... is going to be a massive pain and potentially quite expensive all over again.

One 48gbps at 35ft to the projector is hard enough already.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Even if I used a TV.. I actually used to use a TV behind a drop down screen at one point. I’m wired for conduit to the Screen location (where the TV used to be) and the projector..

The cables will be a problem. I had challenges finding one good , reasonably priced 18gbps cable for my 25ft and 35ft runs...

Having to source several, when already they’re saying the nominal length will be up to 10ft for 48gbps ... is going to be a massive pain and potentially quite expensive all over again.

One 48gbps at 35ft to the projector is hard enough already.
Yeah, cables are going to be more of an issue this time around. I currently use a 15ft one so would have to go fiber if I ever got a 4K120 AVR. There’s a good thread discussing it here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/3071130-hdmi-cables-properly-reliably-support-48-gbps-hdmi-2-1-a.html

Projector people still have a bit of time. Most likely there will be AVRs with multiple 4K120 ports by then. And we still don’t know what the other AVR manufacturers will have.

361 - 380 of 1233 Posts