AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
So it is not possible to add it to the 6700 via firmware?
I do not know if adding DIRAC later on would be possible.
But it won't happen to these models, even if it would be possible.

Which means that you have to wait for their AVR Lineup in like 2022.
But just because they are in talks right now it does not mean that
Denon will end up using DIRAC. Which is why I would not get my hopes up
until they will announce something regarding DIRAC (but this annoucement won't happen anytime soon).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
So it is not possible to add it to the 6700 via firmware?
On a very quick look at the DSPs used in the Denon/Marantz units and for Dirac - both Audyssey and Dirac run on Analog Devices SHARC processors ADSP-213xx or ADSP-214xx chips, so D+M can convert from Audyssey to Dirac if they want, but probably it will take more than a compatible DSP for D+M to do that... ;)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I was carefully looking to see if they added Dirac or are continuing with Audyssey.
I know this is off topic for this thread, but while the gamers out there are clamoring for 2.1 48/GB inputs, I'm equally clamoring for D&M to dump Audyssey...... Champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I know this is off topic for this thread, but while the gamers out there are clamoring for 2.1 48/GB inputs, I'm equally clamoring for D&M to dump Audyssey...... Champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Dirac would likely be available only for the highest end models, as the license cost is considerably more expensive than for Audyssey and Dirac is more complex and far less user-friendly. I doubt that D&M could make the cost structure work with < $1500 AVRs, unless it was able to negotiate lower license charges. Maybe that is possible given its volume compared to boutique brands.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Dirac would likely be available only for the highest end models, as the license cost is considerably more expensive than for Audyssey and Dirac is more complex and far less user-friendly. I doubt that D&M could make the cost structure work with < $1500 AVRs, unless it was able to negotiate lower license charges. Maybe that is possible given its volume compared to boutique brands.

I would happily pay for it!

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
No idea.. :rolleyes:
Thats what happens when U throw out BS numbers.. Denon is a well-respected brand, no need to do this for their mid to higher end products, entry-level maybe..
Just watched the video for the x3600 and they claimed 180W, same as they claim for the x3700. So, at least they are consistent in their BS.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I would happily pay for it!

I'm sure some people would and it may make sense within the cost structure of high-end devices like the X8500H and the Marantz AV8805. However, if a device like the X3600H increases in price from $1000 to $1500 or more, I doubt that sales will remain constant or increase. Certainly, there is no possibility that lower-end AVRs below the models with Audyssey XT32 will transition to Dirac.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From dfa973's comparison, these are what the 4500 has that the 3600 does not:

- a little power on the amps;
- the ability to apply DTS Neural:X upmixer on any source when the input signal is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos *2);
- the Center Spread feature of Dolby Surround upmixer *2);
- the Auro-3D immersive format decoder;
- the Auro-Matic upmixer;
- the metal front panel *6);
- the metal door *6);
- the dual-row display with signal channel indicators *6);
- the ability to control other devices with the IR remote control unit - using preset codes *4);
- the third audio Zone - ZONE3;
- Denon Link HD;
- the second trigger;
- D.D.S.C.-HD with AL32 Processing Multi-channel *3);
- the "Bass Sync" feature;
- the ability to set the component video output connector to video ZONE2 - limited to MAIN ZONE;
- the "2ch Playback" feature - the ability to set custom calibration for speaker size, SW On/Off, SW Mode, Crossover, FL+FR distances and levels when playing 2ch sources;

Though I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the 4xxx series, or just continued to release them in different years.

what about 4500 vs 3700?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dirac is well and truly niche - to the point that even many enthusiasts struggle to use it the first time they get a receiver with it.

I couldn't imagine average Joe picking up an amp on Amazon to replace their 10 year old Onkyo... only to be faced with a computer based Dirac setup! Imagine if a firmware update then proceeded to nuke your Dirac setup like it does with Arcam!

It would either jam up forums like this or clog up the returns dept at Amazon!

521 - 540 of 1096 Posts