AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Given the significant cost difference between the two, I highly doubt that removing the composite input would result in an additional 48 Gbps HDMI port. Think of the analog in as a free bonus.
The 6700 has Eight pairs of analog audio inputs, Two pairs of analog audio ouputs, Four composite video inputs, Two composite video outputs, Two component video inputs and One component video output. All of these also require an analog to digital converter for both audio and video.

I'm sure eliminating or reducing all of this could afford them at least one more HDMI input even if it's only 2.0

·
Registered
57 Posts
Denon aren't in the business of developing their own room correction system - they pay a licensing fee for someone else to do that.
Actually Sound United bought out many of the Audyssey patents outright. The more units they sell, and the longer they stick with Audyssey, the higher their ROI.

I think XT32 would be great with more filters "XT64" and a few new target curves. There is a reliability to the XT32 system that really is only impaired by the default curves.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7567675B2/
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7720237B2/
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9860641B2

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The 6700 has Eight pairs of analog audio inputs, Two pairs of analog audio ouputs, Four composite video inputs, Two composite video outputs, Two component video inputs and One component video output. All of these also require an analog to digital converter for both audio and video.

I'm sure eliminating or reducing all of this could afford them at least one more HDMI input even if it's only 2.0

Yes, there are certainly an unnecessarily large number of analog inputs. Reducing the number may be able to pay for an additional HDMI 2.0 port, but I wouldn't care much either way, as there are already a sufficiently high number of HDMI inputs. Another 48 Gbps HDMI port would be more valuable, but D&M clearly avoided that route because the cost of the 48 Gbps RX/TX chips is exponentially higher right now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, there are certainly an unnecessarily large number of analog inputs. Reducing the number may be able to pay for an additional HDMI 2.0 port, but I wouldn't care much either way, as there are already a sufficiently high number of HDMI inputs. Another 48 Gbps HDMI port would be more valuable, but D&M clearly avoided that route because the cost of the 48 Gbps RX/TX chips is exponentially higher right now.
They probably leave them in as it might actually cost more to redesign everything to eliminate them!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do any of the denon receivers have xerox balanced pre-amp output? I bought a monoprice monolith amp thinking I would power the from stage with it using xlr cables from a 2020 denon receiver. Guess the non-balanced outputs will still work

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
Leaked by Denon:

Upgrade to the ultimate home theatre with this premium 11.2 channel 8K AV amplifier with 205W per channel that fully supports 3D audio formats like Dolby Atmos®, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X®, DTS Virtual:X™, DTS:X® Pro, IMAX® Enhanced and Auro-3D®. The AVC-X6700H also supports the latest HDMI specifications such as 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through and upscaling, VRR, ALLM, Dynamic HDR, HDR10+ and eARC support. HEOS Built-in wireless music streaming (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) supports Spotify®, Amazon Music HD, Tidal, Deezer and more. Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri for seamless voice control.
Pro was not listed in the 3700 specs. Unknown for the 4700.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
HD radio requires licensing fees because it is all proprietary. It was dropped because there is little benefit for it - you can get better audio quality by using internet radio, and for home use, a stable internet connection is far more likely than for the car. Saves the cost of licensing the HD radio codecs and buying the receiver modules from HD radio (plus designing the receiver to use them all for just one market).

Europe digital radio (DAB) is standard for Europe and Asia. The codecs are more stanrdard and cheaper to license, if they aren't already licensed. So it's easier to justify since you're building a circuit used in practically everywhere in the world but the US and Canada. AM/FM is used practically everywhere save a handful of countries.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The other ports are 18 GBit/s. But they support stuff like VRR, ALLM etc..

They will.
Is that hard to get the ports to get 4K120 ?! geez... LG has this for two years in a row on 4 ports (I know, its only a TV)... if one need to connect a Xbox, PS5 and a PC to get full 4K120, then you're out of luck. Yes one can have connect the rest via eARC, but still...

Any ideas what more stuff is going to support beside VRR and ALLM ?!

Like I said one analog input is enough. I also use one for an old game console (that is mostly collecting dust).

I'd really love to meet the person who has an 8K TV and 7.2.4 audio while also using analog inputs for his Tuner, CBL/SAT, DVD, Blu-ray, GAME ,CD, and PHONO.
There can be some one out there that might need more than one or two RCA. For example, if you have a dedicated CD player, a vinyl player that connects to the RCA and need to connect a compact player or a mobile via RCA, then it goes 3 RCA inputs...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is that hard to get the ports to get 4K120 ?! geez... LG has this for two years in a row on 4 ports (I know, its only a TV)... if one need to connect a Xbox, PS5 and a PC to get full 4K120, then you're out of luck. Yes one can have connect the rest via eARC, but still...
I was wondering the same thing.
Roland Krüger from Sound United mentioned that the price was an important factor. And the shielding is also said to have played a role.
Considering that LG already has 4 Ports available this might look strange. But my guess is that it is easier for TV manufacturers to implement that stuff.

They did not go into too much detail.
But the way Roland Krüger put it, it looks like every feature except [email protected]/8K60 will also
be supported on the other ports. But I am not sure what "every feature" means since Denon never specifically stated which
features they are going to support. During their presentations they mentioned these (but they never mentioned if their AVRs will have support for them):
- Dynamic HDR
- eARC
- VRR
- ALLM
- QMS
- QFT
- DSC

·
Registered
508 Posts

There can be some one out there that might need more than one or two RCA. For example, if you have a dedicated CD player, a vinyl player that connects to the RCA and need to connect a compact player or a mobile via RCA, then it goes 3 RCA inputs...

Please, please, do not refer to a record player or turntable as a 'vinyl player'.
It makes my skin crawl.
It's not quite as bad as when someone calls a record collection 'vinyls'... but still, not cool man, not cool.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Please, please, do not refer to a record player or turntable as a 'vinyl player'.
It makes my skin crawl.
It's not quite as bad as when someone calls a record collection 'vinyls'... but still, not cool man, not cool.

If records had an acronym like, CDs it would be easier to get the nomenclature correct. I suggest Analog Sound Storage. Too bad that wouldn’t be forum friendly. The fun that could be had with that would be endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
Roland Krüger from Sound United mentioned that the price was an important factor. And the shielding is also said to have played a role.
Considering that LG already has 4 Ports available this might look strange. But my guess is that it is easier for TV manufacturers to implement that stuff.

One major difference is that a TV only needs 48 Gbps (or only 40 Gbps in the case of the 2020 LG TVs) RX capability, whereas an AVR requires both RX and TX capability. At this point, there are no devices on the market with 48 Gbps TX capability, as none of the next-gen consoles even have concrete release dates. Expecting AVRs to have multiple ports capable of 48 Gbps TX and RX is a big ask at this point.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If records had an acronym like, CDs it would be easier to get the nomenclature correct. I suggest Analog Sound Storage. Too bad that wouldn’t be forum friendly. The fun that could be had with that would be endless.

The acronym is LP. Once referred to as long play since most singles from the early days we only on 45's. Used in a a sentence: Hey dudes! Check out my sweet collection of LP's!

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
One major difference is that a TV only needs 48 Gbps (or only 40 Gbps in the case of the 2020 LG TVs) RX capability, whereas an AVR requires both RX and TX capability. At this point, there are no devices on the market with 48 Gbps TX capability, as none of the next-gen consoles even have concrete release dates. Expecting AVRs to have multiple ports capable of 48 Gbps TX and RX is a big ask at this point.
Disagree on the technical reason. Once you have TX capability and an RX it's a matter of just adding an HDMI 2.1 switch chip for more inputs. I believe they didn't have time to change and test the design further with a switch chip or the chips are hard to get currently.

I'm curious to see what Yamaha does.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The acronym is LP. Once referred to as long play since most singles from the early days we only on 45's. Used in a a sentence: Hey dudes! Check out my sweet collection of LP's!

OMG! I can’t believe I forgot about LP, Duh. I’m not a record guy. I still like my acronym more. Hey dudes! Check out my sweet collection of Analog Sound Storage. Told you endless fun.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Disagree on the technical reason. Once you have TX capability and an RX it's a matter of just adding an HDMI 2.1 switch chip for more inputs. I believe they didn't have time to change and test the design further with a switch chip or the chips are hard to get currently.

I'm curious to see what Yamaha does.

Yes, the cost of 48 Gbps switch chips is probably a significant issue. Another challenge is that the board layout will need to change to maintain signal integrity for the 48 Gbps input paths. It may have been easier to modify the board to enable a single 48 Gbps input, but more may require a complete redesign of the HDMI section. The point is that there are real technical and cost limitations, not simply DM being lazy, cheap, or incompetent.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Another challenge is that the board layout will need to change to maintain signal integrity for the 48 Gbps input paths. It may have been easier to modify the board to enable a single 48 Gbps input, but more may require a complete redesign of the HDMI section.
I really think this is the main reason and due to time constraints. If you look at HDMI traces on a Denon main board they're fairly long. But on the C9 they are very short. See first picture here for the C9: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3057634-2019-c9a-e9-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-188.html#post58452032

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh well. Nice to see Denon releasing something.

Best of luck and success to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

621 - 640 of 1096 Posts