AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There can be some one out there that might need more than one or two RCA. For example, if you have a dedicated CD player, a vinyl player that connects to the RCA and need to connect a compact player or a mobile via RCA, then it goes 3 RCA inputs...
OK but what are they doing with the other FIVE inputs still left.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
BTW has anyone noticed that the three HDMI 2.1 ports are physically different from the rest? I wonder if the new spec calls for a redesign.

Oddly, they only made that change on the 4700/6700. The HDMI 2.1 shields on the 2700/3700 look to be the old style. I rather wish they had been consistent. I prefer minor cosmetic changes to denote differences. Like USB ports: 1.0 (white), 2.0 (black), 3.0 (blue).

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
@bryantc @Baff I wonder if those crenelations are an attempt to make a more physically secure connection some how?

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Oddly, they only made that change on the 4700/6700. The HDMI 2.1 shields on the 2700/3700 look to be the old style. I rather wish they had been consistent. I prefer minor cosmetic changes to denote differences. Like USB ports: 1.0 (white), 2.0 (black), 3.0 (blue).
The rear panel HDMI jacks for 8K have extra shielding and grounding structure..
Also they are 4X the cost of the standard HDMI jack..
Note that the 8K HDMI jacks are nearest the AC line input connector so apparently the design team decided this required extra shielding/grounding..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, the cost of 48 Gbps switch chips is probably a significant issue. Another challenge is that the board layout will need to change to maintain signal integrity for the 48 Gbps input paths. It may have been easier to modify the board to enable a single 48 Gbps input, but more may require a complete redesign of the HDMI section. The point is that there are real technical and cost limitations, not simply DM being lazy, cheap, or incompetent.

It will be interesting to see:
A) Who comes to market first (and in meaningful numbers... not just projected shipping dates that never actually eventuate)
B) Who can release an AVR with all 40+ GBPS inputs / outputs first.

The company that does the latter will make the competitor look lazy, cheap or incompetent by default - simply by being the one who ticks all the boxes.
Of course some of this will be related to release cycles... but 1 x 2.1 spec in / out isn't going to wow anyone, especially as there could well be 2 x sources released in 2020 (and a whole range of LG TV's to match).

·
557 Posts
Note that the 8K HDMI jacks are nearest the AC line input connector so apparently the design team decided this required extra shielding/grounding..
Then, why not put the extra shielding on the 2700/3700 which have the same 8k HDMI in the same place?
I know, I know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
382 Posts
Please, please, do not refer to a record player or turntable as a 'vinyl player'.
It makes my skin crawl.
It's not quite as bad as when someone calls a record collection 'vinyls'... but still, not cool man, not cool.
Then you must really hate Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM

Reactions: Gamecock24

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Then, why not put the extra shielding on the 2700/3700 which have the same 8k HDMI in the same place?
I know, I know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EZ Answer...
Cost... Not affordable on the lower models..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts

Just my $0.02... ;)

Yeah unless 8k becomes the standard I wouldn’t want to buy an avr ..
Without standard technology

I got a Onkyo 818 so I’m using super obsolete tech , and a Yamaha That didn’t have hdmi

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Cannot find this post anywhere and I checked the forum, their Twitter and Facebook. Can you please give me the link? Thanks

It’s on the community page of Audioholics on YouTube. Can’t find a way to post the link though.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Reactions: Baff

·
557 Posts
X4700H ($1700) ^^^

X3700H ($1200)
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/denon-avr-x3700h-9-2-channel-4k-av-receiver-with-3d-audio-and-heos-built-in

X6700H ($2500)
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/denon-avr-x6700h-11-2-channel-4k-a-v-receiver-with-3d-audio-and-amazon-alexa-voice-control

They don't have a page for the X2700H (maybe EU only?)

And they do have AM/FM antennas.

From the X6700H page:
  • "DTS:X® Pro With future firmware update, enjoy your entertainment decoded with the latest in DTS 3D audio technology. Enjoy up to 13.2 channels of audio processing with DTS:X® Pro to enjoy a full surround sound in exquisite detail. You will need an additional external stereo amplifier connected to the AVR-X6700H to drive an additional 2 channels."
  • 8K upscaling
  • Dynamic HDR
  • HDR10+
  • QMS
  • VRR
  • QFT
  • ALLM
  • the latest AKM 32-bit D/ A converters
  • ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit
  • 2.8/5.6-MHz DSD
  • two dual SHARC+ core DSP chips (previously only in X8500), allows 13.2 speakers
  • play the audio on both Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously

Attachments

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
98 Posts
X4700H ($1700) ^^^

X3700H ($1200)
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/denon-avr-x3700h-9-2-channel-4k-av-receiver-with-3d-audio-and-heos-built-in

X6700H ($2500)
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/denon-avr-x6700h-11-2-channel-4k-a-v-receiver-with-3d-audio-and-amazon-alexa-voice-control

They don't have a page for the X2700H (maybe EU only?)

And they do have AM/FM antennas.

From the X6700H page:
  • "DTS:X® Pro With future firmware update, enjoy your entertainment decoded with the latest in DTS 3D audio technology. Enjoy up to 13.2 channels of audio processing with DTS:X® Pro to enjoy a full surround sound in exquisite detail. You will need an additional external stereo amplifier connected to the AVR-X6700H to drive an additional 2 channels."
  • 8K upscaling
  • Dynamic HDR
  • HDR10+
  • QMS
  • VRR
  • QFT
  • ALLM
  • the latest AKM 32-bit D/ A converters
  • ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit
  • 2.8/5.6-MHz DSD
  • two dual SHARC+ core DSP chips (previously only in X8500), allows 13.2 speakers
  • play the audio on both Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously

Denon's 4700 price will be around 1500$? i wonder if i should grab the 4500 model at half-price instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many thanks for the link. I am interested in the x4700 model (or the sr7015 Marantz equivalent), here's a very quick comparison with the current x4500h:
  • added HDCP2.3, HDMI 2.1 & related features.
  • added HRD10+.
  • added 2way Bluetooth.
  • Auro/Auromatic support is missing from the specs (only x6700 has it). That would be a big letdown for me, x4500 had it.
  • same power specs (125W at 8ohm 2channel). The whole amp section seems to be 100% same.
  • front/back/internal screenshots look pretty much the same, could be that the only extra is the HDMI2.1 stuff.
List price for x4700 is $1699 which is $100 more expensive than x4500. Unless they also updated the DAC and/or DSP sections, that is way too much imo.

641 - 660 of 1096 Posts