AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
another question i would like to ask since i didnt owned a receiver. Does these receivers or the previous gen include some type of equalizer so you can boost/attenuate specific frequencies?
Yes, but instead of the GE you should use the included Room Correction system (like Audyssey on Denon/Marantz receivers) - that will give you much better results than a simple Graphic Equalizer - nevertheless, you can still switch from Audyssey to GE and vice-versa if you want.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Did you all know that there the pre amplifier mode (till now only available in the 8500 model) is now available starting from the 3700 model? Unfortunately you can only turn off all the internal amps or let them all enabled.
If for example you do this configuration (which is very common):

- Main LCR powered by external amp
- Surrounds and heights powered by receiver for a total of 8 channels

You will arrive at 11.1 (aka 7.1.4). Doing this, the internal L and R amp will automatically be disengaged. This is at least true for the x3600h and x4500h, at least AFAIK and where Audioholics has also confirmed.

It's unfortunate that the center channel amp cannot be disengaged because that's the single most important speaker in a multi surround setup. Hope Denon can do something about it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If for example you do this configuration (which is very common):

- Main LCR powered by external amp
- Surrounds and heights powered by receiver for a total of 8 channels

You will arrive at 11.1 (aka 7.1.4). Doing this, the internal L and R amp will automatically be disengaged. This is at least true for the x3600h and x4500h, at least AFAIK and where Audioholics has also confirmed.

It's unfortunate that the center channel amp cannot be disengaged because that's the single most important speaker in a multi surround setup. Hope Denon can do something about it.

Yes, this is exactly how my current setup is used. In the amp assign page I have 11.1 setup, but I use 5.2.4 on my Marantz 7011. Left and Right are disengaged.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, this is exactly how my current setup is used. In the amp assign page I have 11.1 setup, but I use 5.2.4 on my Marantz 7011. Left and Right are disengaged.
Yea, it would be odd that they removed this feature for the 2020 models.

But according to a post by jds over on the Denon 2020 thread:

Just to clarify ... unless you are using all external amps for every speaker in your setup, the Pre-Amp mode would not be used.

Otherwise, the pre-outs are always hot and you would simply use an external amp for just some of the speakers.

Also important to note, that the only time the Pre-Out setting must be completed on the AMP ASSIGN page, is to identify the two speakers that are being externally amped to expand the AVR from either 9CH --> 11CH (X3700H/X4700H) or from 11CH --> 13 CH (X6700H).
Hmm. :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, but instead of the GE you should use the included Room Correction system (like Audyssey on Denon/Marantz receivers) - that will give you much better results than a simple Graphic Equalizer - nevertheless, you can still switch from Audyssey to GE and vice-versa if you want.
Audussey is used with the setup mic for speaker measurements. Its the first thing you must do. GE is being done by another app?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Audussey is used with the setup mic for speaker measurements. Its the first thing you must do. GE is being done by another app?
No, no app is needed for GE.
GE is very crude compared with the Audyssey PE and you can edit the GE using the IR remote on the TV screen.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
That's shocking. How are you supposed to pass all three of the new Xbox, PS5, and a PC (with the 3000 series cards) through the receiver to the TV?
You will not!
That's why you need a TV with four HDMI 2.1 40/48Gbps ports.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Sure, but it would not be the first time that something like that slipped out.
True, but without him attributing a source it could also very well be just speculation. I could also be that they hooked up an Xbox One X or PS5 dev kit through their AVR to a CX and said "Look, we're only getting 40Gbps out of the game consoles!" :p

I'd like to here it from either Microsoft or Sony before we call this one confirmed. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
No, GE is a separate feature that can be used by switching off Audyssey. Audyssey does not control GE and GE does not influence Audyssey.

so audysey configures speakers positions and handles room treatment. is it turned off because it uses some type of equalization as well? What is Multieq app?

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
556 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like I'll be buying a couple 4ch amplifiers for one of these Denons unless another AVR comes along with pre-outs for less. I was worried I'd have to spend $6K to get that functionality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not thing that TV price has increased with the HDMI 2.1 feature.
Why AVR would have to be more expensive because of this feature?
There is no more need for video processing inside an AVR, it is just a smart video+audio switch.

We have to wait for more competition in the AVR segment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not thing that TV price has increased with the HDMI 2.1 feature.
Why AVR would have to be more expensive because of this feature?
There is no more need for video processing inside an AVR, it is just a smart video+audio switch.

We have to wait for more competition in the AVR segment.
All receivers made in the last 5~10 years are practically computers. It's not as simple as a "switch" because HDMI requires DRM and processing data to function. You pay the early adopter tax for being on the bleeding edge of technology. Wait a few months and receivers go on sale, much the same as TV's do.

Relatively speaking I don't see how this is more expensive than the last years models they're intended to replace. It's about on par if not a bit better.

781 - 800 of 1096 Posts