AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1327 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is it just me, or this 2020 lineup seems a half-baked solution?
Just one HDMI 2.1 port, not full bandwidth.
I am considering getting a next generation game console, but since I have a LG C9, I will simply connect the console directly to one of the full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 on the TV and then get the audio to the AVR via eARC.
For the record: I bought an AVR-X3600H about a month ago, and for a split second considered the AVC-X3700H.
After reading a bit, only reason to have HDMI 2.1 will be for the gaming console. Even for that I have the option of connecting directly to my TV, so I am keeping the AVR-X3600H for the upcoming years.
When HDMI 2.1 devices become widespread, as well as 8K content, I may considered upgrading my Denon.
Till then, I think I am well served.

Hi! im thinking of buying the same combination (C9,PS5). Does Denon's 3600 earc work flawlessly? and why hadnt you considered the 4500, which is almost at the same price with 3600?

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
580 Posts
True, but without him attributing a source it could also very well be just speculation. I could also be that they hooked up an Xbox One X or PS5 dev kit through their AVR to a CX and said "Look, we're only getting 40Gbps out of the game consoles!" :p

I'd like to here it from either Microsoft or Sony before we call this one confirmed. :)
Sony is doing their PS5 presentation this Thursday, though I doubt they will mention the speed of their HDMI. Sounds like it will mostly be gameplay footage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sony is doing their PS5 presentation this Thursday, though I doubt they will mention the speed of their HDMI. Sounds like it will mostly be gameplay footage.
Probably they won't:
A few points to keep in mind:

It's a pre-tapped broadcast and will be streamed at 1080p/30fps - this is do to having team restrictions from working remotely.

The games you’ll see on Thursday will look even better when you play them on PS5 with a 4K TV, as you’d expect.

Expect games, NOT console reveal.

This digital showcase will run for a bit more than an hour.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My thoughts exactly

Is it just me, or this 2020 lineup seems a half-baked solution?
Just one HDMI 2.1 port, not full bandwidth.
I am considering getting a next generation game console, but since I have a LG C9, I will simply connect the console directly to one of the full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 on the TV and then get the audio to the AVR via eARC.
For the record: I bought an AVR-X3600H about a month ago, and for a split second considered the AVC-X3700H.
After reading a bit, only reason to have HDMI 2.1 will be for the gaming console. Even for that I have the option of connecting directly to my TV, so I am keeping the AVR-X3600H for the upcoming years.
When HDMI 2.1 devices become widespread, as well as 8K content, I may considered upgrading my Denon.
Till then, I think I am well served.
After watching Denon's presentation I reflected on all that was said. In their favor is the fact they have a reasonable offering at a reasonable price. In the end all I got was a lot of reasons why they din't offer full speed HDMI. After waiting this long to replace my receiver with a future proof AVR It looks like I will be waiting another year or two.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
After waiting this long to replace my receiver with a future proof AVR...
HDMI/HDCP is the antithesis of future proof...
HDMI/HDCP can get your new device obsolete in a matter of months or 3-4 years at most..., depending on how much bad luck do you have...

It looks like I will be waiting another year or two.
This is the wisest decision if you do not badly need 4K HFR or 8K.
If you wait for enough, AVRs with 8K support for all ports will start to appear and at least you will have a chance a few more years...

·
Registered
211 Posts
HDMI/HDCP is the antithesis of future proof...
HDMI/HDCP can get your new device obsolete in a matter of months or 3-4 years at most..., depending on how much bad luck do you have...

This is the wisest decision if you do not badly need 4K HFR or 8K.
If you wait for enough, AVRs with 8K support for all ports will start to appear and at least you will have a chance a few more years...
Agreed. Nonetheless, it looks like DD 5.1 for another couple of years. My speakers will just have to self isolate.:)

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
After watching Denon's presentation I reflected on all that was said. In their favor is the fact they have a reasonable offering at a reasonable price. In the end all I got was a lot of reasons why they din't offer full speed HDMI. After waiting this long to replace my receiver with a future proof AVR It looks like I will be waiting another year or two.

You don’t have to pay full MSRP of $2500 for instance on the x6700h. How much money are you willing to lose on it when you sell? You could for instance find a nice price from an authorized seller by asking around. Keep this and enjoy it those 2 years and then resell it at a small loss and upgrade in the future when it no longer meets your needs.

I too am disappointed by one input, but right now I have zero devices that need it, and I do have speakers I’d like to use. I’ve waited 2 years since I bought the 13 speakers to find an AVR with both 13 speaker processing and HDMI 2.1, and ever since they announced DTS-X pro I’ve hoped for that too! This checks all boxes. It won’t be my forever AVR, but then again nothing has ever been my forever AVR.

Bonus I was expecting to have to pay about $4k for 13 channel processing. (Something like Monoprice HTP-1). With a little discount off MSRP this is about half what I was expecting!
In two years the next hot thing will be right around the future corner.

When does it end?
It doesn’t end.
Might as well jump aboard the carousel if this is your hobby. Losing a couple hundred bucks every couple years on a hobby to keep on top of tech is actually a fairly cheap proposition.

Yamaha won’t offer 13 channels as they've already announced their models first part of the year, and they top at 11.
Marantz will be basically the same offerings as Denon, already confirmed by JDSmoothie (one 2.1 HDMI in)
Pioneer and Onkyo are unlikely to have 13 channels, and more likely to offer only a single HDMI 2.1 too.
That leaves botique brands, which may promise 2.1, but may never actually implement before the larger companies can get more ports on the their 2022 models. If you are fine with waiting 2 more years after waiting for years already, then I applaud you and you certainly have a stronger resolve than me.
Me, I’m excited about this Denon x6700h. It feels like a Denon x8500h with the bonus 2020 upgrades for 2/3 the price I was expecting - and it ticks all the boxes I definitely wanted, with only a very mild compromise on the single HDMI 2.1 input.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This reminds me of late 2014/early 2015 all over again. I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR1030 in March of 2015(mostly because I wanted Atmos) and it was the only AVR brand for 2014 that had both HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 but only had one 4K input/output with HDCP 2.2 and no HDR Passthrough, I still have the Onkyo but moved it upstairs and it's still a great AVR. A new tv is coming this year most likely in the fall but I might hold off on a new AVR until the 2021 models are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Curious what Anthem and Yamaha are going to announce.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This reminds me of late 2014/early 2015 all over again. I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR1030 in March of 2015(mostly because I wanted Atmos) and it was the only AVR brand for 2014 that had both HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 but only had one 4K input/output with HDCP 2.2 and no HDR Passthrough, I still have the Onkyo but moved it upstairs and it's still a great AVR. A new tv is coming this year most likely in the fall but I might hold off on a new AVR until the 2021 models are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with a next gen console which do you think is a better choice? the Denon 3600, 4500 or 3700? The speaker i want to power are Polk Signature series and the tv will be LG c9 or cX.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
with a next gen console which do you think is a better choice? the Denon 3600, 4500 or 3700? The speaker i want to power are Polk Signature series and the tv will be LG c9 or cX.

Only one of those choices supports HDMI 2.1.

If you want a next gen console and you want it to be switched through the AVR to your CX OLED, then the 3700 is your only option of that bunch. You could use EARC alternatively with older AVR options.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed. Nonetheless, it looks like DD 5.1 for another couple of years. My speakers will just have to self isolate.:)
Same but I'm only doing 5.1 -- just want a receiver with those pre-outs because the internal amplification stage is a farce on most AVRs (75wpc my atmos - had some 80's vintage amps that'll blow drivers at 50w).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Only one of those choices supports HDMI 2.1.

If you want a next gen console and you want it to be switched through the AVR to your CX OLED, then the 3700 is your only option of that bunch. You could use EARC alternatively with older AVR options.

What exactly would you be missing if you ran a next gen console through the 3600/4500?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What exactly would you be missing if you ran a next gen console through the 3600/4500?

thats what i am asking for. If i buy 3600/4500 and save a few euros, i want to make sure that i can get everything right through earc for games and for movies.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
If you use EARC with a HDMI 2.1 display like the CX series displays and connect your next gen console directly to the display, then everything is supported because you are effectively bypassing the AVR for Video signal, and then feeding back audio signal to your AVR through EARC function.

But if you don't or can't feed your display directly and you need to run your Game console through your older receiver first (like in a Projector situation, where you can't run multiple HDMI cords to your Projector directly), then you'd be missing VRR (variable refresh rate), QFT, (Quick Frame Transport - lowers latency) and ALLM (auto switches your AVR and Display to Game mode (if compatible)) on those older model AVRs without HDMI 2.1 support.

See presentation snippet linked here:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you use EARC with a HDMI 2.1 display like the CX series displays, then everything is supported because you are effectively bypassing the AVR for video, and then feeding back Audio to your AVR through EARC function.

But if you don't or can't feed your display directly and you need to run your Game console through your older receiver first (like in a Projector situation, where you can't run multiple HDMI cords to your Projector directly), then you'd be missing VRR (variable refresh rate), QFT, (Quick Frame Transport - mean to lower latency) and ALLM (auto switches your AVR and Display to Game mode (if compatible)) on those older model AVRs without HDMI 2.1 support.

Most of the receivers released in the last three years got updated to have ALLM. My 730h even got it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you use EARC with a HDMI 2.1 display like the CX series displays and connect your next gen console directly to the display, then everything is supported because you are effectively bypassing the AVR for Video signal, and then feeding back audio signal to your AVR through EARC function.

But if you don't or can't feed your display directly and you need to run your Game console through your older receiver first (like in a Projector situation, where you can't run multiple HDMI cords to your Projector directly), then you'd be missing VRR (variable refresh rate), QFT, (Quick Frame Transport - lowers latency) and ALLM (auto switches your AVR and Display to Game mode (if compatible)) on those older model AVRs without HDMI 2.1 support.

no i mean lg oled c9 or cx and a next gen console. That will do both in games and when watching a movie via console?

801 - 820 of 1327 Posts