AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
with a next gen console which do you think is a better choice? the Denon 3600, 4500 or 3700? The speaker i want to power are Polk Signature series and the tv will be LG c9 or cX.

If you are looking for one this year id go with the 3700 or 4700. I'm also getting a PS5 at launch but will stick with my Yamaha RX-A2060 till next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are looking for one this year id go with the 3700 or 4700. I'm also getting a PS5 at launch but will stick with my Yamaha RX-A2060 till next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately only 3700 is at my price range. I was thinking 4500 which is at similar price, but i have to be sure somehow that earc will work

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Thanks. Would that stuff make a very noticeable difference in the real world?
I've been 'gamer' for 30 years. To me, subjectively speaking, variable refresh rate in the form of Freesync or Gsync (similar, fairly identical in user experience techs) is the biggest overall experience improvement in PC gaming in ~15 years or more. Oddly, it's one of those things that when you are first introduced, when I was first introduced, I was skeptical and wasn't sure I could see a big difference right out of the gate. However, after you get used to it, when it gets taken away, and you are back to < 60Hz without it - gaming feels chunky, unplayable, and un-enjoyable. I can instantly tell when it's on or off, as sometimes with a driver update it'll get turned off on my PC, and I can always tell something is very wrong when the gameplay starts.

For a very specific example: I had an AMD Fury X card and Freesync Monitor in 2017. I upgraded my video card right before the LAN party to a 1080 TI video card, which was faster and better than the Fury X in every possible way for gaming - except that I lost variable refresh rate. My monitor at that time did not support G-Sync (only Freesync) and the two techs were not compatible in 2017. Though my frame rates were quantitatively much higher with the 1080TI, the visual smoothness I had grown accustomed to over the last six months with Freesync was totally gone. It felt terrible, clunky, and the same games we played at the LAN felt as if it had aged 10 years over the slower FPS numbers shown by my Fury X and Freesync experience. I immediately bought a G-Sync monitor after that LAN to couple with the 1080TI, and the smooth gaming experience was restored. If I could not have afforded a G-Sync monitor, I would have gladly rather sold that 1080Ti and returned to Freesync with the slower Fury X card, than to continue to play without variable refresh rate.

So yeah, it's a big deal. At least to me.
It may have variance in the way your eyes uniquely work too. I personally don't get much benefit over say 75Hz. I have a 120Hz Gsync monitor now, but my Freesync monitors were only 75Hz.
The difference between 75Hz and 120Hz was completely immaterial to me and my vision. I couldn't tell the difference, but turn off or on Gsync or Freesync either one and I could instantly tell a very sizable difference. By contrast, some of the guys at the LAN parties I frequent say they don't care about Freesync or G-sync (VRR) if the frame rates are up around 144Hz or 160Hz on their gaming panels -- so to them it's immaterial. In the world of 60Hz displays - and console hardware that can't maintain a exact steady framerate, it is going to be a big deal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So would this be tv dependent? I'm not a big gamer and would be using the PS5 for light gaming and mostly as my blu ray player. I'm actually still using a Panasonic Plasma(VT60) so it doesn't sound like it would be a big deal for me.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
So would this be tv dependent? I'm not a big gamer and would be using the PS5 for light gaming and mostly as my blu ray player. I'm actually still using a Panasonic Plasma(VT60) so it doesn't sound like it would be a big deal for me.

VRR is going to be a big deal to anyone but a very casual gamer.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Everything in the HDMI chain has to support any of these features for it to work. The issue now is a lot of people have TVs that do and the Xbox one x does but none of the AVRs did so you had to plug into the tv and use arc or give up vrr. At least the old demons supported everything else the Xbox can do including allm but the new consoles this won’t be the case as they have more HDMI 2.1 support.

Great tv but getting close to an upgrade. My ST60 just got retired last week mainly for next gen consoles and stepping up to 75 inch.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Wonder when we will see HDMI 2.1 switches.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those things cost nearly as much as new reciever (2.0 versions)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just got this message from Marantz on Twitter:

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
The rear panel HDMI jacks for 8K have extra shielding and grounding structure..
Also they are 4X the cost of the standard HDMI jack..
Note that the 8K HDMI jacks are nearest the AC line input connector so apparently the design team decided this required extra shielding/grounding..

Just my $0.02... ;)
All 2020 Denon and Marantz models will feature the same HDMI 2.1 board with the single 8k input.
Just got this message from Marantz on Twitter:
@jdsmoothie your comment seems to contradict the hint given to @IMWhizzle, though I wonder if that means they'll call the 8015 a 2021 model? I mean, even if the 4X price for the parts quoted by @M Code is correct, you'd think they could absorb that at the price point of the 8015 (or hell just raise the price by $500 over the 8012). I just don't understand waiting years to release a new flagship and then releasing it on the brink of a new standard rollout but in gimped form with a single new input.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
546 Posts
@jdsmoothie your comment seems to contradict the hint given to @IMWhizzle
I don't see any contradiction there at all. I think you are reading a lot more into the response than what is actually there. There was no promise, implication or even a hint that any new Marantz models would have more than one 8k input. All the Marantz rep said is that there will be an official announcement this month, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts
I don't see any contradiction there at all. I think you are reading a lot more into the response than what is actually there. There was no promise, implication or even a hint that any new Marantz models would have more than one 8k input. All the Marantz rep said is that there will be an official announcement this month, nothing more.
Agreed. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those things cost nearly as much as new reciever (2.0 versions)
Midrange 2.0b version even (those are on sale here anyway). I wouldn't even use one of those switches if I were capturing content on streaming services - they're a bit dated and niche (which is why they're expensive).

Or just buy an extension M/F adapter and switch over inputs manually. $30 in adapters and you're golden.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
You may be right and likely are. But if I received that in direct response to a very specific question I would be hopeful.

Regardless it's a pretty effing dumb choice by Marantz to (finally) roll out a successor to the 8012 in such a gimped form when waiting one more year or (gasp) raising the price by $500 would likely fix that.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
546 Posts
You may be right and likely are. But if I received that in direct response to a very specific question I would be hopeful.
The specific question was: "When is the HDMI 2.1 model coming?" followed by a hopeful statement about what might be included in that model. They responded to the question, not the hopeful statement.

Regardless it's a pretty effing dumb choice by Marantz to (finally) roll out a successor to the 8012 in such a gimped form when waiting one more year or (gasp) raising the price by $500 would likely fix that.
Being the first to market often comes with caveats. They aren't waiting one more year, but you can always wait for one more year to see what comes (though I understand your concern that it may be years until the next upgrade to the flagship model). Personally, I won't be waiting, but upgrading from a S750H to a X6700 is a massive upgrade even if the 2.1 situation isn't perfect. Worst case, I can always do a trade-in next year or the year after, if it turns out to be a real problem.

Denon will be putting out a 110th Anniversary model around September (announcement probably in August). Sounds like it will be based on the X8500HA. It will probably also only have one 8k in port, but who knows?

Reactions: dfa973

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
The specific question was: "When is the HDMI 2.1 model coming?" followed by a hopeful statement about what might be included in that model. They responded to the question, not the hopeful statement.

Being the first to market often comes with caveats. They aren't waiting one more year, but you can always wait for one more year to see what comes (though I understand your concern that it may be years until the next upgrade to the flagship model). Personally, I won't be waiting, but upgrading from a S750H to a X6700 is a massive upgrade even if the 2.1 situation isn't perfect. Worst case, I can always do a trade-in next year or the year after, if it turns out to be a real problem.

Denon will be putting out a 110th Anniversary model around September (announcement probably in August). Sounds like it will be based on the X8500HA. It will probably also only have one 8k in port, but who knows?
Another dumb choice on a product only updated every few years.

821 - 840 of 1096 Posts