AVS Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1331 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
4) Skip current D+M generation, and wait for the next generation which hopefully will have more HDMI 2.1 input ports, even if it takes ~3 years until it will be released?
I thought only Denon's X6700H & Marantz's SR8015 will have a 3 year cycle & the lesser ranges will be replaced next year for the 2021 lineup?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Other then Xbox or Playstation what 8k devices will be available
Within the next 3 years. I doubt there will ever be an 8k blu-ray player
who cares about 8k?!? I don't!!!
Most of the guys here just want several ports with HDMI 2.1 that can have all the bells and whistles and 4K120 !!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223
I thought only Denon's X6700H & Marantz's SR8015 will have a 3 year cycle & the lesser ranges will be replaced next year for the 2021 lineup?
Hard to know for sure. Seems like the life cycle times have been getting longer lately. E.g. Marantz SR7013 was released in September 2018, and now the replacement SR7015 has just been released, approximately 2 years later. (And there was no SR7014.)

·
Registered
236 Posts
who cares about 8k?!? I don't!!!
Most of the guys here just want several ports with HDMI 2.1 that can have all the bells and whistles and 4K120 !!!
exactly. No cares at all about 8k. by the time i'm ready or "need" that, there will be other feature upgrades for an AVR, such as my last upgrade which added wifi, bluetooth and airplay in addition to atmos support (the real driver).

but i sure as **** want my [email protected] tv to be able to work well with my AVR and my new PS5 dammit!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hard to know for sure. Seems like the life cycle times have been getting longer lately. E.g. Marantz SR7013 was released in September 2018, and now the replacement SR7015 has just been released, approximately 2 years later. (And there was no SR7014.)
Life cycles were longer due to repeated delays getting HDMI 2.1 off the ground.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
It would be embarrassing IMO for D+M to have $399 AVRs with >1 HDMI 2.1 input when its flagships have one. But anything is possible I guess.

For my part, I'm likely moving to Anthem when the x40 series ultimately ships assuming it has 3 or more 2.1 inputs. For me that's both gaming systems and an extra port for an eventual 8K AppleTV or whatever.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It would be embarrassing IMO for D+M to have $399 AVRs with >1 HDMI 2.1 input when its flagships have one. But anything is possible I guess.
Yes, that is typically not a concern for manufacturers, they can be wildly inconsistent in that regard, Yamaha offering 4 2.1 inputs on their base model & only 3 one model above it but I understand it has a 2nd HDMI output offering 2.1

·
Registered
420 Posts
Absolutely... When a new AVR purchase is made the consumer is buying it to last several years and to be future compatible...

Just my $0.02... ;)
The only items in Audio that could even be considered future proof are Speakers and Amplifiers. AVRs and Processors are nowhere near future proof

Reactions: Red99 and Mike_WI

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,231
The only items in Audio that could even be considered future proof are Speakers and Amplifiers. AVRs and Processors are nowhere near future proof
I agree in general, but it's not binary. From the tech specs of AVRs and Processors you can still get a sense of how future proof they are. E.g. if you buy an AVR with only one HDMI 2.1 input port, and there's a chance that you might need more in the future, then it's not future proof.

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Future "resistant" or something might be a better term.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Future "resistant" or something might be a better term.
No. Future proof is the correct term linguistically. It's the same usage as fireproof or waterproof. As Flodor2000 said, it's not a black and white thing but shades of grey. You can have things that are slightly future proof or strongly future proof. Just like a safe is fireproof and will keep things inside intact for X number of hours. Or waterpoof for a certain time and depth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I originally posted this in the Yamaha 2020 models thread but it bears repeating here;

Below is the current AVR inventory from ABT - 9 models in stock, 68 out of stock.

0 of 11 Yamaha in stock.
3 of 15 Denon in stock
5 of 11 Marantz in stock
0 of 11 Onkyo in stock
0 of 8 Integra in stock
1 of 11 Sony in stock
0 of 6 Pioneer in stock
0 of 3 McIntosh in stock
0 of 1 Auralic in stock

And at Crutchfield some models are in stock but most are Out of Stock, Low Stock or Ship Date Unknown.

What a disaster for the industry.

ABT inventory below...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,235
I originally posted this in the Yamaha 2020 models thread but it bears repeating here;

Below is the current AVR inventory from ABT - 9 models in stock, 68 out of stock.
So what's your conclusion based on this? What is it that you are concerned about, and how does it relate to HDMI 2.1 in AVRs which is the topic of this thread?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Real simple. The industry is in a sad state due to COVID 19 related supply issues and difficulties in the transition to HDMI 2.1. Major manufacturers have both no inventory of past models to sell and no inventory of new HDMI 2.1 compatible models available at retail. Past year's models are gone and there is nothing in the pipeline to replace them. That's explains where the 2.1 models are. Or rather, are not.

If you examine the availability of Denon and Marantz models you will see very little, eight of 26, models available at ABT. Old stuff or new stuff.

To quote from another post on the Yamaha 2.1 forum, who says this better than I do: "I'd guess this is just a perfect storm of COVID supply disruption and HDMI 2.1 implementation struggles. This hopefully puts to rest a lot of the wild theories that the receiver manufacturers were being "lazy," having an empty retail channel is bad for the whole industry."

·
Registered
420 Posts

0 of 11 Yamaha in stock.
3 of 15 Denon in stock
5 of 11 Marantz in stock
0 of 11 Onkyo in stock
0 of 8 Integra in stock
1 of 11 Sony in stock
0 of 6 Pioneer in stock
0 of 3 McIntosh in stock
0 of 1 Auralic in stock

And at Crutchfield some models are in stock but most are Out of Stock, Low Stock or Ship Date Unknown.

What a disaster for the industry.

ABT inventory below...
Is this a thread on future AVRs and Processors or Somebody with an Agenda

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,238
Real simple. The industry is in a sad state due to COVID 19 related supply issues and difficulties in the transition to HDMI 2.1. Major manufacturers have both no inventory of past models to sell and no inventory of new HDMI 2.1 compatible models available at retail. Past year's models are gone and there is nothing in the pipeline to replace them. That's explains where the 2.1 models are. Or rather, are not.

If you examine the availability of Denon and Marantz models you will see very little, eight of 26, models available at ABT. Old stuff or new stuff.

To quote from another post on the Yamaha 2.1 forum, who says this better than I do: "I'd guess this is just a perfect storm of COVID supply disruption and HDMI 2.1 implementation struggles. This hopefully puts to rest a lot of the wild theories that the receiver manufacturers were being "lazy," having an empty retail channel is bad for the whole industry."
We’re not seeing any dramatical supply issues with other electronics: TVs, CPUs, RAM, speakers, etc. Why should there be a COVID related supply issue unique to AVRs?

·
Registered
834 Posts
We’re not seeing any dramatical supply issues with other electronics: TVs, CPUs, RAM, speakers, etc. Why should there be a COVID related supply issue unique to AVRs?
In the case of AVRs I'd say that they're one of the most complex pieces of electronics from the standpoint of the number of other companies and organizations you have to work with. In addition to depending on individual components from multiple vendors they also need software, testing and/or certification from dozens of other places, including the HDMI forum, Dolby, DTS, Intel (HDCP), Amazon, Apple, Google, Spotify, Tidal and so on. Basically all those logos they like to put on the sticker on the front of the thing when it comes out of the box. All these businesses have been impacted by COVID and one missing or unfinished piece could delay the whole product line. External dependencies are risky and if you have ten of them and your whole industry shuts down for several months it's going to take a while to sort out.

My guess is without the pandemic we'd probably only be in a slightly better position, maybe more 2019 gear in inventory and 3-4 months ahead of where we are now on new models. There's plenty of new 2 channel gear, amps and speakers coming out right now so it looks like the unique factor of AVRs is HDMI. No company wants an empty channel, ever, but I'd guess they had to make some hard decisions when production was halted in Asia earlier this year. The fact that not one company publicly showed 2.1 AVRs at CES (which ironically may have been one of the original superspreader events) was an indicator of what was to come. Yamaha showed theirs under embargo and ultimately redesigned them (they originally had only 1 or 2 2.1 inputs) which is why they vanished for 7 months.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
582 Posts
There are certainly supply issues with a lot of home appliances (microwaves, fridges, dishwashers, cloths washers & dryers, etc). I have also seen some speakers on back order. A lot of people stuck at home are having appliances break down due to using them much more frequently. Also, being stuck at home, some people are upgrading their low end equipment.

Denon AVRs have been in short supply for months. Part of that was due to a factory shutdown back around March.

Reactions: bonscott
1221 - 1240 of 1331 Posts