AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say, I've never had a game console at launch, but the number of titles released and announced for release on the PS3 seems really really small. Add to that, I will only buy games that support 1080p and the list gets even shorter.

Is this common? I thought that, by now, some more titles would have at least been announced. If you go to us.playstation.com, there are only 4 or 5 titles announced. And if you don't like racing or sports, you're kinda screwed.

Are there more games in the works that just haven't been announced yet or what?

Honestly, I bought this for the Blu-Ray playback, but I owned the X-Box and PS2 before this and had PLENTY to choose from. Is the amount of detail and difficulty of programming causing delays in titles? Should HD gamers get used to having less high-quality games to choose from?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Launch games so far have been better than the PS2 and PS1; and about on par with the 360. The original Xbox launch only had Halo really.

Since you insist on 1080p you've already thrown-out Motorstorm which will be the first Killer App. The only 1080p 'confirmed' games on the horizon are VF5 and Lair.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell /forum/post/0

I gotta say, I've never had a game console at launch, but the number of titles released and announced for release on the PS3 seems really really small. Add to that, I will only buy games that support 1080p and the list gets even shorter.

Is this common? I thought that, by now, some more titles would have at least been announced. If you go to us.playstation.com, there are only 4 or 5 titles announced. And if you don't like racing or sports, you're kinda screwed.

Are there more games in the works that just haven't been announced yet or what?

Honestly, I bought this for the Blu-Ray playback, but I owned the X-Box and PS2 before this and had PLENTY to choose from. Is the amount of detail and difficulty of programming causing delays in titles? Should HD gamers get used to having less high-quality games to choose from?

within 2 months, there will be 20 new games that should be REALLY good... we will see...

·
Registered
294 Posts
March is an awesome month for the PS3 (games). It coincides with the European launch. I don't think thats a coincidence.

Publishers want the biggest audience possible, so you yanks miss out until then. Resistance/Motorstorm/VF5/Heavenly Sword/Ridge Racer 7 at launch for me, amongst others.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
In terms of quality of games, I believe I read somewhere that the PS1 actually had the worst launch ever in terms of games and titles.

In terms of quantity of games, I believe the same article I read said that the PS2 had 30 games at launch.

·
Registered
Sony XBR-85X950H, Denon AVR-X6700H, Oppo UDP-203
205 Posts
Others have echoed this - all new consoles take 6-12 months to get their legs. Looking back on the PS2 launch, I only had two games (SSX and Sky Odyssey) until June, 2001 when Twisted Metal: Black launched. After that, the titles really started pouring in, with Gran Turismo leading the way.

I've seen this same phenomenon occur through several console launches, going back to the SNES. It's one of the downsides to being an early adopter. I will get better; just give it time.

·
Registered
768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell /forum/post/0

On a 1080i-only TV? Yes.

If you don't have a surround set system yet, you might want to consider getting a receiver that does 1080i upscaling. I believe that Yamaha HDMI receiver in the "Uncompressed Audio for your PS3" thread is down to like $250 at Wally World. You could use component for your video and HDMI for your audio.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.