19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2 parts as I wrote it 2x at two different times and when it was time to

post I figured I'd put down both thoughts for the best replies. Thank you

for your patience.

---

The 26" Digital Lifestyles HDTV is excelant. However is there anyone here

, like me, who's a technician and has a clue whether there is a way to bring

out to the real world a digital signal that would be recordable?

It seems a shame to waste the digital tuner with ounly having analog composite

outputs.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thank you kindly.

Andre

=======

Part 2. I did a saerch for HDTV outputs and got this bleak list of results

below. This supports my theory that most HDTV's do not

have a suitable HD digital output signal for recording into a firewire camera or

other USB 2.0 /Firewire recorder. Is this true?

RF Modulator for HDTV output?

Does anyone know of an HDTV RF modulator I can hang on the output (any output) of the

What happened to the HDTV output of my Geforce 7900GT card? [Text ...

Is it possible that I "fried" the HDTV chip on the graphics card when I connected it to the receiver, causing the green output? ...

9800 pro 128 any good for hdtv output? [Text View] - AVS Forum

How can i stretch HDTV output? [Text View] - AVS Forum

MyHD keeps disabling HDTV output Home Theater Computers.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDOS /forum/post/14177097

most HDTV's do not

have a suitable HD digital output signal for recording into a firewire camera or other USB 2.0 /Firewire recorder. Is this true?

That seems to be the case. I think a few TVs have had Firewire outputs that some people have used with a D-VHS recorder. But I don't think anybody makes D-VHS recorders any more.

For practical purposes, recording in HD means using either a PC or Mac with a tuner card or USB tuner, or a separate DVR, all of which have tuners and receive input from your antenna. There are separate forums here for these topics:

HDTV Recorders for DVRs

Home Theater Computers for Windows based solutions. There are subforums for Mac and Linux based solutions.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/14177560

For practical purposes, recording in HD means using either a PC or Mac with a tuner card or USB tuner, or a separate DVR, all of which have tuners and receive input from your antenna.

Or using a TiVo HD, or waiting for the E* TR-50 OTA DVR, or getting an LG LST-3410A or Sony DHG-HDD250/500 via eBay or similar. There are offerings out there for recording HDTV via OTA sources, though not a lot of them.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
By "separate DVR" I meant something like the Tivo HD or the upcoming Echostar (Sling) unit, not something that needs a computer.

Quote:
or getting an LG LST-3410A or Sony DHG-HDD250/500 via eBay or similar.

I have two of the Sony units and am happy with them. Still, at this point in time I would recommending getting either the Tivo HD (if there's no objection to the monthly fee) or waiting a few months to see if the Echostar TR-50 materializes (I think it's actually going to be sold under the Sling brandname).

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Recall there's a thread or two in the HTPC forum on how to record HD. Haven't plowed through all the criteria in the OP, but that forum might help. -- John

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Not to mention there is an HDTV Recorders Forum where probably all possible ways to record HDTV have been covered.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts