AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disappointed to find no stickies in this forum for some tried and true sub and speaker designs. I realize there is a science behind all this and there are a 1000 ways to make every design but its a bit like having to learn brain surgery when all you want to do is follow a set of easy instructions.

Anyway, I am very good at wood working and veneering. I am looking for a good looking subwoofer right now to complement my Adire 281's I made a few years ago for my theater. I want a simple basic design and I don't really want to have to think about the what and the why. I want to follow instructions!

My goal is straight forward: lowest price, high output at 20-25 Hz in the smallest ported box possible, which I will make look good. Something like a HSU VTF-2 I suppose...

Brian

·
Registered
985 Posts
Neodan has a bunch of great designs labeled "easy button". A search would turn them up quickly.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Dude /forum/post/15455997

Do you have any size restraints? Any budget in mind?

Yeah, I noted the HSU VTF-2 for that reason. Could be a bit bigger though.

Down firing would be nice.

I saw the Easy Button designs but you are talking 18" woofers there and 10HZ. I don't need that big or low for what I am after.

Budget is simply cheapest possible to meet the goals.

Brian

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey Brian,

It's been a long time since I've run across one of your posts. It has also been a while since I've run across anyone with the Adire 281s. Those were a good diy project. I still use my Audax LCR that I built in 2002 along with 4 Mordaunt Short bipoles enclosed in columns. From reading your post, I don't think you are interested in a sonotube, but here is the design I pirated back in 2001 or 2002...can't remember:
http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/construction.php

BTW, I created a new user account in Jan, 2008 because my old one used my real name and I got tired of all those posts popping up when I googled myself.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus /forum/post/15456259

Hey Brian,

It's been a long time since I've run across one of your posts. It has also been a while since I've run across anyone with the Adire 281s. Those were a good diy project. I still use my Audax LCR that I built in 2002 along with 4 Mordaunt Short bipoles enclosed in columns. From reading your post, I don't think you are interested in a sonotube, but here is the design I pirated back in 2001 or 2002...can't remember:
http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/construction.php

BTW, I created a new user account in Jan, 2008 because my old one used my real name and I got tired of all those posts popping up when I googled myself.

Yeah, it doesn't help that Adire is no longer in the consumer business I guess but those speakers are still going strong. I could use another set of crossovers by the way so if anyone has the diagram still that would be helpful.

Regarding the sonotube, I considered that as my last subwoofer was a SVS 20-39 and I was always impressed by it. But I am looking to see if I could do something with similar performance while being a bit more concealable/form fitting.

Brian

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usabrian /forum/post/15455228

I was disappointed to find no stickies in this forum for some tried and true sub and speaker designs. when all you want to do is follow a set of easy instructions.

I think Brian's got something. This Forum needs to be a leader in posting a list of available finished projects (with instructions) for those who are willing DIYers and only need the photos, list of materials, and how-to instructions.

A comprehensive list would include the various enclosure designs IE: Sealed, Ported, PR, IB, LLT, etc. and then a list of enclosure projects according to the different sized drivers IE: 10", 12", 15", and 18", followed by a list of enclosures associated with particular drivers IE: TC, CSS, Maelstrom, Sound Splinter, FI, Mach 5, ED, Dayton, etc.

Or . . . . you can allow one of THOSE other forums to take the initiative.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Over at ht guide, they have a multitude of proven designs at the missions accomplished tab.

More sub stuff here.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX /forum/post/15456819

I think Brian's got something. This Forum needs to be a leader in posting a list of available finished projects (with instructions) for those who are willing DIYers and only need the photos, list of materials, and how-to instructions.

A comprehensive list would include the various enclosure designs IE: Sealed, Ported, PR, IB, LLT, etc. and then a list of enclosure projects according to the different sized drivers IE: 10", 12", 15", and 18", followed by a list of enclosures associated with particular drivers IE: TC, CSS, Maelstrom, Sound Splinter, FI, Mach 5, ED, Dayton, etc.

Or . . . . you can allow one of THOSE other forums to take the initiative.

Yeah I was surprised there was nothing like that here.

Brian

·
Registered
358 Posts
It seems that everyones design is different due to their unique criteria.

Thats what makes it a fully do-it-yourself job.

You made exactly what you need, yourself. (With or without help is entirely up to you ;P)

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:

I was disappointed to find no stickies in this forum for some tried and true sub and speaker designs. I realize there is a science behind all this and there are a 1000 ways to make every design but its a bit like having to learn brain surgery when all you want to do is follow a set of easy instructions.

Anyway, I am very good at wood working and veneering. I am looking for a good looking subwoofer right now to complement my Adire 281's I made a few years ago for my theater. I want a simple basic design and I don't really want to have to think about the what and the why. I want to follow instructions!

My goal is straight forward: lowest price, high output at 20-25 Hz in the smallest ported box possible, which I will make look good. Something like a HSU VTF-2 I suppose...

Brian

you make a great point. the funny thing about it is that it is so simple. you need an amp, a driver, an enclosure where the key thing is the volume and a port where the key things are the diamter and the length. that's it.

given your goals, just find a good driver with an fs of around 20-25hz or so. then ask the guy that is selling it for the box dimensions in which it will work well.

i'd point you to diycable. they have some good ones. this one should work for you:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=653

it is pretty popular and anybody with a modeling program could whip up a design for you in about 1 minute.

here is the shiva 12" in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 20 with a single 4" port that is 18.15" long. below 25hz or so, your room will add a couple db, so this should be flat right down past 20hz in a home environment. good luck.

EDIT: oh, and that is the response at 100 watts, with no low pass crossover engaged. the 4" port will allow this spl without any port chuffing too. ignore the chart above 150hz. good luck.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I would agree with the sticky idea here....

Home Theater shack also has a listing of finished builds, not every one of them is spelled out with a cut sheet, but at least there is an organized list, and one could gather a good amount of info from there....

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yeah, a sticky thread would be a great resource and is sorely absent here on AVS. I'm an avid audio guy and a skilled woodworker, but being a bit short on the electronics know-how and not having ventured into these waters before I find myself somewhat lost just searching around for ideas and plans. There is a vast amount of knowledge here on these threads and hundreds and hundreds of good designs and project ideas, so it would seem like a no-brainer to have a couple of stickies that give us noobs some of the basic info needed to get our feet wet. Maybe some tried-and-true designs for the first-time DIY'er to try out and mix in some technical info so that we can go out and fish for ourselves at some point.

I'm very eager to get going on a DIY and already have 2 EP2500's and an SMS-1 to get started and a fairly open-ended budget for my DIY, but I feel like such a tool asking around for tips and design ideas here and there. I tried starting a couple of threads, but found myself with more questions than answers...ie- noobitis.

I hope this comes to fruition...I think a lot of us new to the DIY arena would greatly benefit and would probably stop asking so many stupid questions...

Jason

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman /forum/post/15458983

Yeah, a sticky thread would be a great resource and is sorely absent here on AVS. I'm an avid audio guy and a skilled woodworker, but being a bit short on the electronics know-how and not having ventured into these waters before I find myself somewhat lost just searching around for ideas and plans. There is a vast amount of knowledge here on these threads and hundreds and hundreds of good designs and project ideas, so it would seem like a no-brainer to have a couple of stickies that give us noobs some of the basic info needed to get our feet wet. Maybe some tried-and-true designs for the first-time DIY'er to try out and mix in some technical info so that we can go out and fish for ourselves at some point.

I'm very eager to get going on a DIY and already have 2 EP2500's and an SMS-1 to get started and a fairly open-ended budget for my DIY, but I feel like such a tool asking around for tips and design ideas here and there. I tried starting a couple of threads, but found myself with more questions than answers...ie- noobitis.

I hope this comes to fruition...I think a lot of us new to the DIY arena would greatly benefit and would probably stop asking so many stupid questions...

Jason

this is the whole problem with threads, unless the original poster aggregates all the key ideas and incorporates them into a summary, the knowledge is so diffuse that it makes it unuseful.

even something as trivial as a subwoofer, which as i mentioned is nothing more than a driver, amp, box, and port seems to be too much for folks to get into one area.

at the very minimum what is needed is some sort of index of projects. the same way that chas or whoever the guy was that did all the amp testing. his thread was awesome. you could go to the first page and click on each amp to be taken to where in the 1000 pages of discussion that amp's results were shown.

i created a thread a year ago on why 6.5" woofers just can't rock. i tried to pull ideas out of the thread and put them in the original post as the discussion evolved over time because who would want to read it all just to see the list of suggestions contributed by members.

craigsub did the same thing with his thread on subwoofers. he had an index that pointed to where in the confusion each sub was evaluated, so again, one didn't have to read 5000 pages of crap to get to the key ideas.

heck, there can't be that many, i'll start the post now.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate all the work done so far and I have been taken off into a lot of different tangents going through all those threads.

The Easy Button End Table is an obvious choice but I am actually thinking of building something like this "keg sub":

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...html#post31863

or even better this version:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...html#post31703

I just really like the way this looks for some reason. Its definitely unique. I saw some plywood cylinders in another post from an online company that I could really make look sharp with a nice Rosewood and piano black end caps to match my Adire 281's

Brian

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:

Brian

I have a thread over here that seems to be going pretty well. Its a $120 driver that pulls hard to 21 hz in a 675 ft^3 box. With the PE 240 watt plate amp, wood and port the whole kit and kabootle is under $300. My buddy ordered the equipment which will be here friday. We'll take pics and have build pics by the weekend. In the mean time I'm going model different ports to prevent chuffing at higher wattages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts