AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
here's a big one for you OP. I'm going to assume the mods won't mind me posting a link to the product here because well just look and see for yourself. This is a 108 inch but it's only 1080p so it might look blurry up close. Like I mentioned, they are a tad pricy for the amount of square inches of screen space you get, which is about 5000 in a set this size.

http://www.kyro.com/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=178034

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz /forum/post/19599334

here's a big one for you OP. I'm going to assume the mods won't mind me posting a link to the product here because well just look and see for yourself. This is a 108 inch but it's only 1080p so it might look blurry up close. Like I mentioned, they are a tad pricy for the amount of square inches of screen space you get, which is about 5000 in a set this size.

http://www.kyro.com/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=178034

cool! if we do a group buy we only need 51 people to get the best price - should I start a sign up thread?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Isn't the 103 somewhere near $1k per inch though? :p

The reason which has already been stated, economics. Average 60" LCD/Plasma is already 2500-3500 bucks. It goes up from there by orders of magnitude. The last time i saw a 68" LCD in a retail store (ultimate electronics) it was over $6k. (i think it was an aquos) They get spendy over a certain size...

·
Registered
524 Posts
As mentioned above its the current economy and demand that is really supposedly keeping them off the market. I tend to believe if they offered them at somewhat reasonable pricing they would indeed find a market. It just baffles me that I was able to buy a bigger TV 5 years ago then now. For the most part anyways!

For my main home theater display I use a Samsung 67" DLP that is going on 5 years old now. I have been one of the lucky ones and have not had any issues (knock on wood). I often find myself doing research on what I will buy if the thing dies on me but have come up empty. At the moment some Plasma displays come close in size but does not yet match what I got.

If I had to buy right now it would probably be a 73" Mitsubishi DLP. Its not only 3D Ready but comes in at a whopping 73" size. Its not a flat panel but is not to bad thickness wise and best of all its half the price of a quality 60" LCD and almost a quarter of the price of a quality 65" LCD Display. But dang its that darn DLP tech again

I have a sneaking suspicion that as soon as we reach market saturation on flat panel sets (about there now) they will flood the market with affordable 65" ++ displays. Everybody will be dying to move the smaller LCD set to a different room and buy the new 75" LCD set for cheaper then they paid for the 40" they use now. I predict we will many affordable and high performance large flat panel options within the next 2 years regardless of the state of the economy. Probably plasma first then LCD will fallow close behind.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/19599998

As mentioned above its the current economy and demand that is really supposedly keeping them off the market. I tend to believe if they offered them at somewhat reasonable pricing they would indeed find a market. It just baffles me that I was able to buy a bigger TV 5 years ago then now. For the most part anyways!

For my main home theater display I use a Samsung 67" DLP that is going on 5 years old now. I have been one of the lucky ones and have not had any issues (knock on wood). I often find myself doing research on what I will buy if the thing dies on me but have come up empty. At the moment some Plasma displays come close in size but does not yet match what I got.

If I had to buy right now it would probably be a 73" Mitsubishi DLP. Its not only 3D Ready but comes in at a whopping 73" size. Its not a flat panel but is not to bad thickness wise and best of all its half the price of a quality 60" LCD and almost a quarter of the price of a quality 65" LCD Display. But dang its that darn DLP tech again

I have a sneaking suspicion that as soon as we reach market saturation on flat panel sets (about there now) they will flood the market with affordable 65" ++ displays. Everybody will be dying to move the smaller LCD set to a different room and buy the new 75" LCD set for cheaper then they paid for the 40" they use now. I predict we will many affordable and high performance large flat panel options within the next 2 years regardless of the state of the economy. Probably plasma first then LCD will fallow close behind.

Really? Flood the market with over 65" plasmas and LCDs? Who is making them now? You do know that it's incredibly expensive to produce a 70"+ plasma or LCD? So, if no one is making them how is the market going to be flooded by them?

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19600118

Really? Flood the market with over 65" plasmas and LCDs? Who is making them now? You do know that it's incredibly expensive to produce a 70"+ plasma or LCD? So, if no one is making them how is the market going to be flooded by them?

I admit my comments are mostly speculation on my part. However I doubt they as costly to produce as one would think. The main reason why 65" + LCD's and Plasma's are so expensive is because hardly anyone is making them. Its not that the manufactures really can't its just that they won't because of the current state of the market. The few that are making them can pretty much charge what they want. I am willing to bet that the profit margins on a 65" LCD selling for 4K is better then on smaller sets. Its a sure thing that someone will want a piece of that pie as well and more competition will bring lower prices.

Also the problem is the industry is quickly reaching a saturation point. They will have to come up with new ideas to continue to move TV's. 3D is one idea but its not enough. As the sale of new TV's enter a rapid decline in the future they will have to come up with something else. In the past coming out with lower cost Big Screen TV's really helped spice the market. If history repeats itself we will see more large TV's in the future. I think its a given.

Earlier this year Vizio was going to come out with a 70" + LCD that was going to be 3D capable and sell for an estimated 3 Grand give or take. I don't know the official story as to why it was canceled but it was likely mostly because at the time with the economy being the way it was they felt a very little market existed for this size. I agree its also possible it could not be produced and sold at the margins Vizio was looking for at the time. However its a sure thing that shortly in the future they will get it figured out and we will see lower cost larger panels on the market. Perhaps flooding the market is an exaggeration but we will have a lot more verity then now.

Anyways that is about the best I can say it. I am just a home theater nut with no real knowledge of the industry. I really hope we get larger panels in the future. With 1080P sources and now 3D we need larger screens. If I can get 70" + for 3K or under I would bite in an instant. We are pretty dang close as it is right now if you are willing to forget about 3D. The manufactures will always take it one step better for less $$. Just look at what you can get now for the $$ compared to just a few years ago?

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/19600744

I admit my comments are mostly speculation on my part. However I doubt they as costly to produce as one would think. The main reason why 65" + LCD's and Plasma's are so expensive is because hardly anyone is making them. Its not that the manufactures really can't its just that they won't because of the current state of the market. The few that are making them can pretty much charge what they want. I am willing to bet that the profit margins on a 65" LCD selling for 4K is better then on smaller sets. Its a sure thing that someone will want a piece of that pie as well and more competition will bring lower prices.

Also the problem is the industry is quickly reaching a saturation point. They will have to come up with new ideas to continue to move TV's. 3D is one idea but its not enough. As the sale of new TV's enter a rapid decline in the future they will have to come up with something else. In the past coming out with lower cost Big Screen TV's really helped spice the market. If history repeats itself we will see more large TV's in the future. I think its a given.

Earlier this year Vizio was going to come out with a 70" + LCD that was going to be 3D capable and sell for an estimated 3 Grand give or take. I don't know the official story as to why it was canceled but it was likely mostly because at the time with the economy being the way it was they felt a very little market existed for this size. I agree its also possible it could not be produced and sold at the margins Vizio was looking for at the time. However its a sure thing that shortly in the future they will get it figured out and we will see lower cost larger panels on the market. Perhaps flooding the market is an exaggeration but we will have a lot more verity then now.

Anyways that is about the best I can say it. I am just a home theater nut with no real knowledge of the industry. I really hope we get larger panels in the future. With 1080P sources and now 3D we need larger screens. If I can get 70" + for 3K or under I would bite in an instant. We are pretty dang close as it is right now if you are willing to forget about 3D. The manufactures will always take it one step better for less $$. Just look at what you can get now for the $$ compared to just a few years ago?

I am sure LCD plants can't produce 70"+ sizes efficiently. The new 10th generation LCD plant allows an effective 68" substrate, but I don't believe any LCD plant has the means to mass produce 70" efficiently and cost effectively.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/19600744

Others here have previously detailed the disproportionate cost associated with producing 70"+ sets and the manufacturing issues, so your assumptions are a gross underestimation of the issues. In fact the profit margins would be less on the larger sets.

The fact is the technology is available yet know one is making them. That should tell you something. Manufacturers are not going to rush into a minuscule market without significant opportunities to payback their initial investment and sustain a reasonable profit.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19600852

Others here have previously detailed the disproportionate cost associated with producing 70"+ sets and the manufacturing issues, so your assumptions are a gross underestimation of the issues. In fact the profit margins would be less on the larger sets.

The fact is the technology is available yet know one is making them. That should tell you something. Manufacturers are not going to rush into a minuscule market without significant opportunities to payback their initial investment and sustain a reasonable profit.

I will have to research and see just what is so different between say a 65" LCD set and a 70" set. Some tooling differences but nothing the manufactures have not had to deal with when they brought on LCD's over 52". It was not to long ago 52" was about as big as LCD's got. I remember back in those days something about the glass could not be made strong enough and thin enough for screens bigger then 52". The problem was not with manufacturing but shipping the sets without damaging them.

So is it safe to say that 65" is about the practical limit in LCD technology size wise and that its not likely we will see much larger panels anytime soon? I am kind of waiting it out for something flat and at least 70" but I don't want to wait forever. I can probably live with a 65" but I don't think I could go much smaller. I usually up size a bit from one TV to the next.

I sit about 9' away from my 67" DLP and its not great with SD material at that distance but when I run a 1080P source its all of a sudden not big enough. As long as you are watching hi def you can really go huge and not have it be a problem.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
65" and bigger panels will be coming out in greater numbers over the next year and I suspect there will be some anouncements at next months CES show reguarding bigger panels.

Not too many years ago 42" plasma's were the popular size and 50 inchers were seen as the size to wish for,,,, then 50 inchers became very affordable and common place,, then 55" and 60",,,,, its the natural evolution of TV sizes.

Vizio has their 65 incher coming out soon for sale in the USA, and LG's 72 incher has already started selling in Korea, China and Japan,,,, from what I have read LG's 72 incher will be for sale in the US around Q3 or Q4.

Im sure other panel makers cant help but notice the Panasonic 65" S2 plasma that can be had for around $1,800.00 now, and has become one of the top selling plasma's.

A few weeks ago I purchased the 65" S2 and I gota say Im pretty impressed,, and thats coming from a person that was very much LCD over plasma,,, I just got tired of waiting for an affordable 65" LCD/LED.

Anyhow,,, point being,,, I think were going to start seeing alot more 65" panels this year with affordable realistic prices.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I expect forthcoming generations of LCDs up to 85 or so inches, of course with all the expected goodies: local dimming, 3D, Wi-Fi, 480+, awesome image processing etc. If for no other reason than companies like Sony always like to have image products to attract the interest of customers most of whom will then buy something more affordable.

These monsters won't be cheap but because they're prestige market leaders they don't have to be. Once people feel rich again they'll be back to trying to impress the brother-in-law.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.