AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick disclaimer: I am not a supporter of having people make poor products, however I feel that a market for digital RPTVs has been ignored.

I am talking about the low end of the market. It seems kind of odd, especially when it seems that small low rez lcd panels are quite cheap that no manufacture has worked on bringing a affordable SDTV lcd RPTV to the market. I am talking about the 640x480 range and maybe light it with a small halogen bulb. I know it is no much vs. a real set, however It does seems that the parts for such a set could put a 42†below the $450-$500 range. I am just wondering why no one has bothered to try and make large screen digital rear projection sets that are tailored more towards the Walmart crowd.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Not 42" for $400-500, where no one would make a cent, but they >>would

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
40 inch LCD at WalMart? Hmmm.... Maybe late this year?

The cheapest 30 inch LCD ever sold in the U.S. has been $1900. So far the cheapest 40 inch LCD has been in the mid $5000s.... You want a guess? How about $4500 this year...

Or do you mean RPTVs? I was yammering about flat panels.

I don't see too many sets below 50 inches... Perhaps a $1999 model of something at Walmart late this year in the LCD RPTV category?

Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
Actually, Apex had a 42" RP CRT HDTV unit selling at Sears for a whopping $999.00 and had it on sale a couple of weeks ago for ........$690.00!!! I talked to the salesman about it and he told me the things flew out the door. He also said the new model is probably going to be in their stores in March and will probably sell for under 1K. BTW-I almost bought it for my Dad, but the one on display is the only one they had left and I usually like to buy new and in a box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.