AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for one of the following, and was expecting price blowouts after Christmas, but zip, nada, nothing. Aren't retailers supposed to be laboring under a massive overhang of inventory, and going bankrupt right and left?

Marantz VP-11S1/VP-4001(good- rebadged Sharp 3K, expensive lamps?)

Yamaha dpx-1100/1200

Sharp DT-500/DT-510/3000/xv3100

Planar PD8110/ PD7150/ PD7130 (expensive lamps)

JVC RS-2

Sim2 Domino 30H

InFocus IN78/ IN82

· Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15412623

I am looking for one of the following, and was expecting price blowouts after Christmas, but zip, nada, nothing. Aren't retailers supposed to be laboring under a massive overhang of inventory, and going bankrupt right and left?

Marantz VP-11S1/VP-4001(good- rebadged Sharp 3K, expensive lamps?)

Yamaha dpx-1100/1200

Sharp DT-500/DT-510/3000/xv3100
Planar PD8110/ PD7150/ PD7130 (expensive lamps)

JVC RS-2

Sim2 Domino 30H

InFocus IN78/ IN82

I have not pulled the lamp on my Marantz to see what bulb it uses, but I did on my Planar PD7130 and i found that it is very easy and a lot cheaper to just replace the bare lamp rather than buy the whole assembly. You can get the bare lamp for $200 or less. I bet the same can be done with the Marantz or any of the other projectors.

· Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say lamp, do you mean the lamp with reflector? Or just the envelope in that messy goo procedure, with questionable high-temp characteristics and impossible-to-hit focal length? And is it cheap Red Chinese, or OEM?

· Registered
4,740 Posts
The best deals are not advertised. You find them by going to the brick and mortar stores that are hurting and look for the deals. Some have found equipment at Circuit City and other stores for 50% to 80% off. These won't come to you, you have to go find them!

· Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15413183

When you say lamp, do you mean the lamp with reflector, or just the envelope in that messy goo procedure with questionable high-temp characteristics?

Lamp with reflector. Only assembly needed is to plug in wiring harness and pop the new reflector with lamp in place. I pulled my reflector/lamp from the cage so that I could read the numbers. I found it for sale at several locations for the price I stated.

I have looked at the other method of installing a new lamp in existing reflector, but I am not sure what to use for the sealant to secure lamp to reflector and I am not sure that I want to go down that road. I wonder how critical it is to get the lamp perfectly plumb and correct distance in the reflector if you did build your own?

· Registered
855 Posts
Something I have not seen mentioned in the Planar lamp discussions is that Planar (and other high end manufacturers I think) gives a 180 day warranty on their lamps with no hour limitations. Replacement lamps however carry the standard 90 days if purchased from Planar.

Planar PD Line Projectors Customer First 2-Year Warranty

Feb. 7, 2007

· Registered
16,950 Posts
The Marantz 8600 for $799 is still a pretty good deal as is the Sharp DT-510 at $699 . These are both far better units than the Optoma HD65 and Mitsu HC1600 . We would all love to see some more blowout deals and surely there will be more coming at some point but if you keep waiting you are missing out on some great enjoyment ( assuming that you do not already have a projector of course
) .

- Jason

· Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Jason, I've been meaning to ask you how you'd rate my choices above, top to bottom.

Of course the VP11S1 and PD8110 would probably be at the top, but what about the rest? How does the 8600 compare with the 4001? I believe the Sim would be too dim.

I need a fairly short throw.

· Registered
16,950 Posts
Honestly at the risk of offending owners of said projectors and to avoid being 'flamed' for my opinions I would prefer to not rate your list in a particular order . I will say however that there are some excellent choices there and the 8600 at $799 is no slouch and offers some of the best placement flexibility of any DLP . As far as any of those being too dim it really depends upon the room , screen size and type of screen . I am not currently aware of any deals on the others listed but any of those would be great performers and sure to put a smile on your face

Just my opinion , if you can get a 4001 for not much more than the 8600 then I would have to lean that direction due to more lumens and better CR ( you do give up some placement flexibility however ) .

* Oh and if you can get a deal on an 11s1 ... jump all over it

- Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.