AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the current dearth of 3D content could partially be filled if studios would release some of the movies from the first 3D heyday in the 50's on bluray or even SBS DVD. I'd really like to see Dial M for Murder, House of Wax, Inferno, It Came from Outer Space and some of the 'better' movies from that time. Is it an issue with rights, or the lack of them, or is it because of issues with high contrast and the current sets? Lack of interest?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Those of us who have actually seen most of the 1950's 3-D films in the original polarized form know that they on the whole blow away the recent stuff from a technical standpoint. Audiences at the 2003 and 2006 World 3-D Expos were shocked at the quality, but of course the projection conditions were top notch.

They seemed to truly understood optics then in the studio's technical departments and many productions utilized some expert consultants.

You can't judge any of the photography in those by blurry anaglyphic TV broadcasts or re-issues, but in the original polarized form, amazing. Even the two Three Stooges shorts, "Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire" are quite good in the original format. Don't even bother with the awful anaglyph versions on DVD.

You *will* see some of the better known titles on Blu-ray 3D and 3D TV.

And despite what you may have heard, most of them are pretty decent movies too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sensio has had "It Came From Outer Space" and "Creature From the Black Lagoon" on their coming soon section for some time now (as in years!). Previously, Sensio had released "Taza, Son of Choise" (Rock Hudson/Barbara Rush 1954) in their 3D DVD format (SbS 3D). What is unclear is if Sensio had negotiated rights just for their SD 3D format, or if it also included Blu3D releases, which would mean Sensio would also need dual 1080p transfer elements.

The only Golden Age (1952-55) title that is currently available is the animated "Working For Peanuts" short with Chip and Dale. This is included on the Disney sampler 3-D BluRay.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK /forum/post/19643795

Sensio has had "It Came From Outer Space" and "Creature From the Black Lagoon" on their coming soon section for some time now (as in years!). Previously, Sensio had released "Taza, Son of Choise" (Rock Hudson/Barbara Rush 1954) in their 3D DVD format (SbS 3D). What is unclear is if Sensio had negotiated rights just for their SD 3D format, or if it also included Blu3D releases, which would mean Sensio would also need dual 1080p transfer elements.

The only Golden Age (1952-55) title that is currently available is the animated "Working For Peanuts" short with Chip and Dale. This is included on the Disney sampler 3-D BluRay.

Those Sensio 3D DVD deals are probably speciality deals like the Criterion ones where they license the movie on a specific format and only that format.

I looked up Creature From the Black Lagoon and it has something interesting - the aspect ratio of the film is listed as 2.00. Filmed in . . . Universal 3D

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19644049

I looked up Creature From the Black Lagoon and it has something interesting - the aspect ratio of the film is listed as 2.00. Filmed in . . . Universal 3D

Dunno where the IMDb got 2.00:1 from, since Creature was framed and released no wider than the standard spherical 'widescreen' ratio of 1.85:1. I'm afraid the IMDb cannot be relied upon for accuracy, at least as far as tech specs are concerned. And that's a shame, because there's a lot of stuff on there which IS accurate, but is tainted by the oceans of incorrect stuff on there, too.

Creature was shot with Universal's 35mm 3-D rig of the era (known, somewhat generically, as 'Universal 3-D'), which may have been configured slightly different than rigs from other studios at the time, but it did much the same job, and provided the same results.

By the way, the IMDb has a Creature remake slated for release in 2013, and I'd be VERY surprised if that one wasn't filmed in 3-D.

NB. Steve is right to compare most of today's 3-D efforts unfavorably with their older counterparts, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the newer films, especially the horror films. MY BLOODY VALENTINE has some fine 3-D staging, and PIRANHA is an OK conversion job. But I was totally knocked out by the 3-D staging in RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE (of all things!), which I thought was going to be a load of old rubbish, but which turned out to be a fine combination of storytelling skill and 3-D visuals. Bodes well for the same director's upcoming version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/19643213

Those of us who have actually seen most of the 1950's 3-D films in the original polarized form know that they on the whole blow away the recent stuff from a technical standpoint. Audiences at the 2003 and 2006 World 3-D Expos were shocked at the quality, but of course the projection conditions were top notch.

They seemed to truly understood optics then in the studio's technical departments and many productions utilized some expert consultants.

Reading up on the way the old movies were shot and projected (dual synchronized projectors) it sounds like they really had some great technical quality 3D in that period. It seems like the rash of 3Dsploitation movies at the outset may have killed the idea before it really matured, hopefully cheap 2D->3D conversions don't do the same this time around.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
House of Wax with Vincent Price. Now that would be a great 3D re-release as that film was originally aired in 3D 1953

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK /forum/post/19649041

The restored 3-D dual strip print shown in 2006 was amazing!

wow.. I bet. Would be great if it's released on Bluray 3d.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw /forum/post/19645453

Dunno where the IMDb got 2.00:1 from, since Creature was framed and released no wider than the standard spherical 'widescreen' ratio of 1.85:1. I'm afraid the IMDb cannot be relied upon for accuracy, at least as far as tech specs are concerned. And that's a shame, because there's a lot of stuff on there which IS accurate, but is tainted by the oceans of incorrect stuff on there, too.

Fully agree about IMDB.

On it's own, the whole aspect ratio issue with some of the 1950's Golden Age features can be a bit messy, as it was during this time period that Hollywood was also transitioning to widescreen. To capitalize on the new widescreen craze, some studios recommended widescreen for a couple of 3-D titles that weren't even composed for widescreen. And then there were the multiple widescreen matting scenarios, like Universal recommending anything up to a 2:1 widescreen crop with some of their 3-D features. 1.85:1 works pretty well with the Universal widescreen composed 50's features. But a 2:1 crop would, at a minimum, ruin some of the 'out of screen' effects. And of course, the important question: Was a given title actually composed for 2:1 framing? ..Just because a studio big wig said so didn't always mean it was actually framed that way.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK /forum/post/19649086

Fully agree about IMDB.

On it's own, the whole aspect ratio issue with some of the 1950's Golden Age features can be a bit messy, as it was during this time period that Hollywood was also transitioning to widescreen. To capitalize on the new widescreen craze, some studios recommended widescreen for a couple of 3-D titles that weren't even composed for widescreen. And then there were the multiple widescreen matting scenarios, like Universal recommending anything up to a 2:1 widescreen crop with some of their 3-D features. 1.85:1 works pretty well with the Universal widescreen composed 50's features. But a 2:1 crop would, at a minimum, ruin some of the 'out of screen' effects. And of course, the important question: Was a given title actually composed for 2:1 framing? ..Just because a studio big wig said so didn't always mean it was actually framed that way.

I believe the original Creature from the Black Lagoon was composed for 1.33:1, while its sequel, Revenge of the Creature, was composed for 1.85:1. That is that way they were presented at the 2006 World 3D Expo, where they tried to get all of the aspect ratios "correct" for the various features. At the 2003 Expo, both were shown at 1.33:1.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN /forum/post/19649129

I believe the original Creature from the Black Lagoon was composed for 1.33:1, while its sequel, Revenge of the Creature, was composed for 1.85:1. That is that way they were presented at the 2006 World 3D Expo, where they tried to get all of the aspect ratios "correct" for the various features. At the 2003 Expo, both were shown at 1.33:1.

Yes - Good point. The Expo team did do extensive research to determine the aspect ratio for each feature. I don't think any UI title at the 2nd Expo was shown in anything wider than 1.85:1. And your memory is correct: The first Creature was shown at 1.33:1, while the sequal was shown in WS.

What's nice is while many of the Golden Age titles were composed for widescreen, it's also a given they were still protected for 1.33:1, as theaters worldwide didn't simply convert to widescreen overnight. (1954-55)

But by the late 1950s, a cameraman could be assured almost all theaters would be cropping for widescreen, so if exposed prop pieces, mics, etc showed up in the area that should be matted for widescreen, they simply didn't care.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino
House of Wax with Vincent Price. Now that would be a great 3D re-release as that film was originally aired in 3D 1953
For me, HOUSE OF WAX and FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN are the best examples of 3-D ever produced. Everyone has their personal favorites, of course, but these two stand out a mile. Quite literally, in some scenes!!

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19650319

I keep on harping about HONDO, IMO the greatest and best filmed 3d classic. Hopefully with some more voices added to the mix the studio or the Wayne Family will release it in BD-3D.

That would be great but look how long it took to get The High and The Mighty from them.

In the mean time, how about all those 3d Imax films that have already been released in HQFS 3d? Transitions 3D (fix the vertical alignment first), Haunted castle, Misadventures in 3d, Encounter in the 3rd Dimension, Spy Kids 3d, etc.

Another thought. I wonder if the VHD people got the exclusive rights to the 3d versions. I enjoy Dial M in 3d but the Japanese subtitles are annoying.

td

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Where are the old 3D movies?

Where are the NEW 3D movies?

3D Entertainment Distribution Teams up with Universal Pictures International Entertainment for the Blu-ray 3D Release of Ocean Film Trilogy .

Quote:
The trilogy, presented by ocean explorer Jean-Michel Cousteau, features the popular 3D titles "Ocean Wonderland 3D," "Sharks 3D" and "Dolphins & Whales 3D" narrated by Daryl Hannah, which have generated over $85 million at the IMAX theatre box office to date.
Quote:
As a result of the deal, Universal Pictures International Entertainment has acquired the exclusive worldwide home entertainment rights to the trilogy, excluding US, Canadian and Mexican territories, from 3D Entertainment Distribution.
http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59

1 - 20 of 45 Posts