AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh, yes, thanks, do you happen to know the release date, and expected price? Tyring to decide to buy the panny next week or wait.

Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
October availability. one online dealer quoting 3-5 weeks, no one else quoting.

List price 14,500. Street price, according to Pioneer HQ, expected to be 1000 higher than current street price for 5030.

I am with you, ready to order this or Panny. Wife strongly prefers PQ of Pio's, but if the 5040 is not price competitive ... and the 504 is 2Q04 ... and the Panny phosphor improvements get it close to the Pio ... I will order the Panny.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I had the 43" 433cmx, and I loved absolutely everything about it but the sh*tty blacks, so I had to return it. I love the pio's if they could get panny blacks. Just always seemed that the picture had way more "punch" to it. I sure hope that the new panny will be a great improvement in that category. I just don't want to dump 6k on this panny and have the pio come out a few months later, and have me saying darn they improved the blacks =).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pio marketing materials say they improved the blacks. Truth is hard to determine. Elite has a new filter that results in 15% improvement in blacks. 5040 supposedly is better on blacks than current models but may or may not have the filter.

Yet some of our resident experts were told at CEDIA (by Pio) that blacks were not improved, except for those panels that get the new filter.

Dunno .... guess I am going to wait a few more weeks and see.

I assume you saw the 5040 preview thread on AVS and it's connection to the European thread. They were very impressed with the 5040 and the updated media box.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I was one of those people told not to expect better blacks.

In fact, the new filter is only on the Elite, not the 5040.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
In fact, the new filter is only on the Elite, not the 5040.
So would that mean that the commercial model would also have the filter (assuming it is the same as the elite like the current 433 and 503cmx)?

-Chris

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rogo IS the resident expert I was referring to but I did not want to put words in his mouth.

The filter is only mentioned in the Elite press release, not the 5040. No press release on the 504, thus no official word on it having the filter. (I believe the filter has been quoted as a 15% improvement in blacks.)

Quote:
• Pure color filter II significantly decreases external light reflectivity to achieve higher levels of contrast even in direct light. The filter also reduces the unnecessary frequency of the red, green and blue signals to deliver greatly improved color purity and accuracy. The advancement from Pioneer’s original pure color filter is a greater emphasis on the reproduction of red colors, making them more vibrant and true to life. This enables Pioneer to live up to the absolute standards for color reproduction established by NTSC and ATSC.
The Elite will have the separate media box and speakers for the first time, so we can hope that the Elite and the 5040 share a common box. The list price for the Elite is only $1000 more than the 5040, so I think it is a fair assumption that they are very close except for the filter and the two year warranty.

Quote:
Pioneer Elite plasma televisions come complete with a stand-alone media receiver that has twin ATSC tuners built in. The media receiver is compatible with high-definition terrestrial broadcast transmissions as well as NTSC broadcasts. The media receiver also allows the consumer to input an array of sources including satellite, cable, DVD, VCR, and computer signals up to wide XGA. The media receiver is digitally linked to the panel for optimal performance. It also offers HDMI connectivity. Color matched side mounted three-way speakers are also included in the package.
Earlier discussion and link to European review

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.