AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I can afford them, but if for nothing else, at least great reading entertainment :)

I always see lots of light weight "home style" 5.1 and 7.1 recievers and such, but where are the big, black, 300 lb blocks, that have hardly no bells or whistles, and do nothing but put out 3000 watts of uber-clean raw power to one single channel ? You know, concert type stuff ?

I often see sub woofers rated for well over 1000 watts, but never seem to find amps that can supply this to them ? In fact, these subs are often quite affordable..... but how to feed them ?

What do they use at a Metallica concert ?

Just curious,

Fish

PS, And while we are on the subject, how about the "best bang for the buck" models..... Like an affordable, 1000wt (forget peaks.... I'm talking continuous at .05% distortion) single channel model ?

Oh, and although I have yet to find amps like this for the home, I did run across this interesting item a while back: http://www.caraudiomag.com/0606_cae_...5kw_amplifier/

I'll take two :)

·
Banned
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Chris /forum/post/0

I always see lots of light weight "home style" 5.1 and 7.1 recievers and such, but where are the big, black, 300 lb blocks, that have hardly no bells or whistles, and do nothing but put out 3000 watts of uber-clean raw power to one single channel ? You know, concert type stuff ?

Well one option is like I use as well as several others here, Pro audio amps. Or the concert type stuff you would be referring to. Their are several to choose from from low end to high end, & can range from a couple hundred watts per ch to a few thousand.

Some of the audio snobs will tell you that pro audio has no place in the home & that they sound bad, but I for one love them. They can be had for much better prices than most home built amps & normally will put out much more power, & IMHO sound just as good as any other amp if not better.

I have just over 3000 watts on tap with all my amps & have less than a grand in all three of them. If someone could show me a home amp that can do the same for the same cost backed by the same kinda warranty I have, I will tip my hat & bow out kindly

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SonyTheater. I'm so glad I asked ! I was assuming that I would find out about all kinds of great stuff, which would be fun to read about, but which I could never afford, and then you said > I have just over 3000 watts on tap with all my amps & have less than a grand in all three of them

Here shortly, I will purchasing my Home theater, and I had fully planned to buy a pre-made, seperately powered sub woofer to add to this system. However, I have built a whole bunch of subwoofer enclosures (mostly for cars and trucks), up to a 27 cubic ft, ported one, for an 18" sub for my in-home setup {sounded great too, considering I could have used about 10 X's as much power !}

Now I will have to go back and look at seperate sub speakers again. Building the enclosure would be fun ! 3000 watts of >30Hz bass, at an affordable price ? How cool is that ?

Oh, and thank you Jvgillow. Very interesting thread !

Peace,

Fish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts