AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is a great site...long time viewer, first time poster.

I've searched for the VPL-VW11HT on this site (and others)and have found very little in the terms of reviews. I have an opportunity to buy this projector at an amazing price, but I have not seen this model (only saw the 10 briefly a long time ago).

Can anyone say anything about this projector? What price do you feel this projector is worth?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I think the biggest problem thus far is that people (at least in america) have only seen it at CEDIA and, as usual, you can't really judge much from that.

Once someone buys it or gets a hold of a demo unit I'm sure we'll see some hefty reviews comparing it to the Sany 60 and previous 10HT.

sounds like for the money the Sany could come out a winner anyway. The Sharp DLP might end up streeting for close to the price of the 11HT if we're lucky so it might be worth a wait.

-dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've just picked up my 11HT, and had the rare opportunity to upgrade it (customer loyalty rules..) from having the 10HT in my home for the last three months or so.

I will be cracking it open this weekend and will be happy to share my thoughts on the improvements, changes and just how much darker the attempt to make the color black really appears on this new unit.

I do in fact use a Greyhawk screen, and both progressive and interlaced DVD sources. Can't wait.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Saw it at CEDIA. They first showed us a clip from "Charlie's Angels" on DVD and my partner and I were amazed at how BAD it looked. We had just seen "Vertical Limit" showing on the $3000 Plus Piano and the Sony didn't come close. We were very surprised. We had come in with reasonable expectations, both of us having seen the 10HT before and liking it. To make matters worse for Sony, the DVD was being played on their 9000ES flagship DVD player. A very poor showing. The shocking thing was when they switched over to a Hi-Def source. Suddenly the picture was vibrant, colorful and DAZZLING! I don't know why there is such a huge jump in quality between the two sources. Usually DVD looks good and HD looks GREAT. Sony only got that 2nd half correct.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Saw it twice with progressive DVD and NTSC satellite on it.

Definite improvement over the 10HT.

I liked the Sanyo PLV 60 better, especially for the price. The Sanyo seemed to have a little more punch. The Sanyo, however, has solarization problems. I did not detect any with the Sony.

Screen door was minimal from 12 feet and colours were excellent. Blacks were OK for an LCD but the picture was a little soft for my taste. I did an A-B comparison to the Yamaha DLP1. The Yamaha blew it away. The Yamaha is however more money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just wondering, how much will the vw11ht cost online, and when will it arrive in projector people?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just wondering, how much will the vw11ht cost online, and when will it arrive in projector people?

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Piano was being shown on (I think) 92" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio, although it is a 4:3 projector. Not sure whether it was progressive or not but the source material was DVD (Vertical Limit). No idea of the screen gain or other specifics. It is a fixed lens, so no lens shift or zooming capability. You'll have to hang it in exactly the right spot in the room. It apparently uses TI's new chip that is optimized for DVD viewing. For $3000 this thing was a steal!

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK so here it is.

I had a unique opportunity to check out the 11HT against its predecessor the 10HT for about 3 days, and ultimately upgrade to the newer model. And I had the opportunity to either receive a refund for the 10HT price drop difference, or swap to the 11HT altogether. The verdict is that I'm upgrading very enthusiastically.

I use an 84" diag. 1.78:1 Grayhawk screen frame black velux wrapped, which I use for a black reference when the lights are out in the theater. First and foremost, most owners of LCD projector owners with the aforementioned aspect ratio will tell you that the viewing experience really is dramatically different when playing a film that fills the screen to which I concurr. When there aren't any dark "grey" horizontal bars flanking the picture (2.35:1), your eyes aren't distracted to point out to your brain that you aren't really seeing black.

So, where does the 11HT pull away from its predecessor ? Simply put, the contrast and shadow detail is MUCH better than the 10HT.

Now I had a little bit of an edge here. After doing the comparison, I called a friend at Sony professional in NJ, whom I've known through my Dad for the last 6-7 years, and we had a little Q & A. He was directly involved with rolling out he new 11HT, and he informed me of a few intresting things that changed with this model, and may or may not have been mentioned already in this forum. The most noteworthy upgrades were the completely new LCD panels, and new lens.

Aside from notably improved contrast and better "blacks", I think that the colors are actually a bit punchier, and really hit home on color extravaganzas like Austin Powers 2, and Vertical Limit. Also, for shadow pacing, I love using the post war scenes of Gladiator, when they're celebrating in low lit tents, and Marcus and Maximus discuss his home. So much more of the background scenery is revealed, and close up detail is also better, faces, countryside detail, etc.

With a better picture, I'm now noticing the chroma bug in my PMDT DVD player much more frequently. You can really see it in animated material. It's pretty bad for a 6K DVD transport. I know it's the player because I also used my Sony DVPS 7000, devoid of chroma bug, and the effects disappeared.

The other thing worth mentioning here is that my 10HT was tweaked using Don Munsil's method, service menu etc. and I just did a basic AVIA calibration without delving into the service menus at all for the 11HT. So I look forward to tweaking my new projector as well, and can only anticipate the picture further improving.

So is it worth the extra dough? If you haven't bought a 10HT already and your choice is based soley on price, the 10HT is hard to pass up. BUT, if you have the dough, and you're deciding between the two, you will DEFINITELY see your money's worth plunging for the 11HT. If you own a 10HT already, and you're wanting better black level and shadow detail, head to your dealer to try to trade up.

I'm loving this projector. There's alot of talk about DLPs, Yamaha and such, and well, I just haven't seen anything in the same price range that has colors that touch the Sony. Some do get a little "sharper" but they're too cold for me.

I hope this helps !! Hannibal looked SOOOOO good!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Madrigalboy:

Thanks for your point of view! It sounds pretty good, and for the price I can get it for I may as well jump on it.

Do you or anyone who has an 11HT have some screen shots?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you get it off the internet or at a local, store? If internet where? and how much?

·
Registered
106 Posts
After the absolutely sweet customer service and flexibility I've gotten from the retail store I bought my projector at, I'll be hard pressed to spend this kind of cake in some faceless internet transaction. Just my opinion. I'd never been able to pull off the shootout and upgrade if I bought it online. If you're tenacious you aren't going to spend for list price. But I'd buy it from a dealer, just for the service.

Travis-

I could take some pics with my digital camera, I just don't know how they'll come out. I'll try tonight. Any requests for material ?? I've got (heh) quite a library at this point...

To quote another forum poster,

"Home is where the theater is.."

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ya know Sam, I'm really glad you asked that question, and I can shout from the rooftops: NO!!!!

No dead pixels at all!! I swapped two 10HTs and finally gave up settling for a unit with one green stuck pixel that wasn't near the center of the screen, but man it still bothered me.

One of the better known facts about Sony is that they always have better QC on product leaving the factory at the beginning of a product release, to make sure public feedback is good. Also a reason I jumped to swap to the 11.

I remember vividly reading 10HT forums a year ago when it was released, and new buyers consistently received units with stuck pixels. But I can't stress enough how much buying my projector from a customer service driven store, allowed the flexibility to make me happy, or at least put the best foot forward, exchanges and all.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I like the Sony vw10 and almost purchased one. The problem I have with the projector is that the picture seemed flat and doesn't really have that 3-d effect. I have seen this complaint about the vw 11 as well. What is your impression? I has assumed that the much improved contrast would render more 3-D looking images.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what its worth, last week I saw the 11HT alongside the 10HT and also alongside the LT150.

By far the best picture was the 11HT, better contrast and better colors over both the others .

To me, 60 years plus eyes, the 11HT was sharper and from about 14 ft I could not see any screen door or other problems.

By far the worst picture of the three was the LT150 which looked "soft" and not nearly as "sharp" and "crisp" as both the Sony's.

The screen was simply matte white and wide enough to show all three pictures alongside. There was also some low ambient light at the demo.

Of course there is a price difference here in Australia, the 11HT is around $12500/$13000, the superceded 10HT is now around $9500 and the LT150 is around $8000. Divide by two to get the US price. I was watching scenes from Vertical Limit at the demo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.