AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question for you line doubler / progressive scan experts out there.

My TV on order will be a Sony KD-34XBR2. It has a pretty good line doubler; horizontal and vertical for a 4x pixel improvement. Currently I own a generic JVC DVD player with s-video output, no component outputs.

It seems to me that I should NOT upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player. The TV presumably has a better doubler than buying a new, progressive scan, DVD player. Is my logic correct???

If I'm wrong, just how much of a visual improvement would I get with a progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It could go either way. I would go down to your local chain store (best buy, cc) that has a 30 day return. Buy the dvd player you were thinking about (panasonic rp56, rp91?) and try it out. I had a skyworth, an rp56 and a sony s530. The image between the rp56 and sony were too close to call. This was on an xbr450, calibrated of course.

Besides this, most of the recomended players are cheap enough that even if you bought the rp56 for example you could still run it in interlaced mode and have a great player for the price.

·
Registered
457 Posts
One of the things that a progressive scan DVD player will do that a simple line-doubler will NOT do is the de-interlacing. This is where the interlaced frames on the DVD are woven together, digitally, and output as a single progressive frame. This is a relatively simple process to do in the digital domain.

On the other hand, if you try to implement this process after the signal has been converted to analog, it is much more difficult, and is better left to an external scaler. I highly doubt the internal scaler in your TV is better than even a basic progressive scan DVD player.

That said, it will always be best if you actually try it out. I know my JVC 723 looks about the same as my SONY when viewed on my 27" TV. But, when I hook them up to my D-ILA projector with 100" screen, there is a tremendous difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.