AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine broke in my Sunfire and Sunfire wont ship out parts to customers and they want me to pay to ship the entire sub for them to fix it and I'm like- it's freaking 8 allen screws, no wires or anything, 1 minute flat to install a new one and the ***** said- sorry company policy! What the hell? It's a freaking passive non-powered driver held in with 8 allen screws not a freaking nuclear warhead! That's ludicrous to pay for shipping two ways and labor and wait the extra shipping time for a 1 minute, 8 allen screw fix! I would like to fix this other than buying a completely new sub and with money being tight right now I'd have to downgrade a lot - Maybe an Emotiva 12"? Anyway, I need to find a shallow mount 12" passive driver...any ideas?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Your passive drive is really called a passive "RADIATOR" and is tuned by the addition of weights added to the rear of the driver to obtain a specific performance. Sunfire MAY need the entire sub back to ensure the correct performance.

Bill C

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghani99 /forum/post/20832608

You will need to do some home work and verify this PR is the proper replacement for your sub.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNFIRE-TRUE-SUB...item415c6691cd

OH THANK YOU!!! I OWE YOU ONE!!! I freakin' did a search on Ebay yesterday and I couldn't get any results!! I contacted the seller to see about overnight shipping.....I really would like to be up and running by Saturday.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCinLR /forum/post/20833250

Your passive drive is really called a passive "RADIATOR" and is tuned by the addition of weights added to the rear of the driver to obtain a specific performance. Sunfire MAY need the entire sub back to ensure the correct performance.

Bill C

The weight comes already in it I think - mine was permanently glued where the voice coil would normally be..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, got in contact with the guy on Ebay for overnight shipping. *Should* have it by friday. If the part actually comes by friday and everything works out and I get up and running, I'm going to Paypal the guy and extra $20 tip!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since the PR is from a "TRUE SUBWOOFER" and that's the subwoofer you have, I'll assume it's the correct replacement. Forget the $20, I'm just happy to help. Let us know how it goes.

Make sure the replacement has the same amount of weight added as the original.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$82 for overnight shipping but it was worth it. Came in around 10am this morning but I didn't get home from work until 8pm but at least I'm up and running for the weekend and don't have to wait until sometime next week. It's a perfect match to the old one.

Has the weight already installed (where the voice coil would normally be);

You guys have to see this, the driver cone is actually made from what looks like thin MDF:

Yes, it's identical to the original that broke. The "wood" part and outer skin came unglued and was rattling badly. I tried to re-glue it, but it didn't hold. It's kinda a half-assed design for something with a MSRP around 2k don't you guys think? Yea, it puts out a lot of oomph for it's size, hard to beat it there, but the unit could use A LOT more refinement IMO.

Anyhow, got home, took a shower, installed the passive radiator, shined her back up with furniture polish....

I then recalibrated it with the Sunfire's built in auto eq and then re-ran Audyssey and watched a movie. The sub seems to be working like new once again so I'm at least happy there.

Now seriously, what's your guys opinion with Sunfire not willing to sell this part to a customer? Kinda shoddy business practices towards a long time customer who bought one of their flagship products? That was just a big deal to send that cheaply and shoddy made driver out to fix a 2k unit I tell you!
Whatever, I'm glad I got it fixed and I'm back up and running and didn't have to buy a completely new sub....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.