AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like all LCD HDTVs are widescreen now. I wanted to buy an LCD TV for my friend for his birthday because he has an extremely old tube and the colors are fading and everything. I felt sorry for him, so after all he's done for me, I told him I wanted to buy him a new TV for his birthday. He told me to only buy him a full screen (4:3) TV because he doesn't like widescreen for some reason. So I was just wondering, where can I find a 4:3 LCD HDTV? Any size between 20-30 will do.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/15415744

It seems like all LCD HDTVs are widescreen now. I wanted to buy an LCD TV for my friend for his birthday because he has an extremely old tube and the colors are fading and everything. I felt sorry for him, so after all he's done for me, I told him I wanted to buy him a new TV for his birthday. He told me to only buy him a full screen (4:3) TV because he doesn't like widescreen for some reason. So I was just wondering, where can I find a 4:3 LCD HDTV? Any size between 20-30 will do.

Just get him a widescreen, more shows are changing to widescreen and after February most of the digital channel will be in 16:9 format.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It sounds like you might be better off buying your friend a good, used CRT. I'm about to give away a Sony KD-27FS170, because I don't think I would have much luck selling it. You could probably find something like that for $100 on craigslist. Or if your friend would actually be watching anything in HD (doesn't sound like it), then you could try to hunt down a 4:3 CRT HDTV. Otherwise, just buy him a widescreen LCD, and tell him to like it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I guess they don't make them anymore. The reason my friend wants them is because most shows on TV are 4:3. I don't blame him because I have HD service and most HD channels are just 4:3 content with black bars on the side. I'm hoping that will change soon.

I'll have a talk with my friend. Hopefully, he'll be ok with me getting him widescreen. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.