AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Samsung 56" DLP set, and I'd really like to get a greater understanding of calibration beyond the user settings.

The service menu is chock full of plenty of settings that I've a slight understanding of. My problem is, I don't really know how to go about an advanced calibration.

Avia and DVE kinda go through the old "do contrast, then brightness, then sharpness, then color"... and you're done.

But then I see little tidbits of info such as comments from KenLand briefly touching on how to use service menu RGB offsets and gains in order to achieve certain results.

When should I be setting gamma and color temperature?

I'm sure there's a more elaborate and systematic way to calibrate a TV set, and there's probably a basic guide on how to do it.

Can anyone point me towards such material? Preferably free (or low cost)? :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That site is dedicated to tweakers, but cost 25 bucks to get in, and every eyar a fee.

YOu could also find someone that is good at your type of set to come out and do it, or spend about 20 times that much money in your time to learn it for something you won't use again, until all your knowledge will be completely dated and then start over.

I calibrated mine and spent around 450 and am going to do it again with my next one. The only thing I learned is that you need to find someone that does your type and has successes with even your brand because that is more key then most of the calibrators let on too.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(thought this be a tangent...)

I don't get it, why would I pay to join the spot when it appears I can read all the forums for free?

b

·
Registered
29 Posts
You might want to consider getting a Service Manual from the manufacturer of your set. As far as THe Spot, I didn't have a good experience there. You have to agree with the founder of the forum or he will try to run you off HIS forum. It's not an open forum where you can post your experiences and opinions on a subject. It's like his private captive audience. There's also a lot of brown nosers on the forum as well who cater to the founder and all of his opinions. That said, I'm sure there are a lot of good people there as well. I got my money back as you can find all of the information here you have to pay for there.

Best Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you are not a paid member of the Spot then you are only seeig some of the forums. There are other forum headings and topics that are available if you are paid. By default they do not show for the general browser.

The spot is a great source for calibration. They even have some area dedicated for the ISF calibrators who frequent the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.