AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3765

I have a Biostar TF7050-M2 mobo with a three pin SPDIF out header on it...will the above product work? I'm assuming all headers are the same...

Second. The mobo outputs only 2ch audio through HDMI b/c of how its built. What are my options on getting multi-channel (specifically 5.1) audio to my receiver? Since I'm primarily going to do SPDIF pass-through, will I get any added benefits if I were to use a higher-end sound card? I was looking at the HT Omega Striker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271001

I use Vista x64 with MPC player and AC3Filter, very few Blu-ray disks as I have a PS3 to play them on. Thoughts guys? Should I spend 15 bucks on the header or get a sound card?

·
Registered
50 Posts
if you want to save a few bux you can make one very easily. Get the pinout for the SPDIF header and run SPDIF OUT to the center pin on a Female RCA plug, Then run the Ground to the outer rim of the RCA plug....

I just made one for an old Mobo of mine turned bedroom htpc

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman2k2 /forum/post/14328945

I have a Biostar TF7050-M2 mobo with a three pin SPDIF out header on it...will the above product work?

Yes, it will.

The three pins in digital oudio are the Signal, Ground and 5V. The last is needed for optical only.

Just like natopotato says, you can do it yourself. If you do, make sure the outer RCA metal doesn't touch the casing.

The pins are not always in the same order on different mobos.

Diogen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, I think I might swing by radio shack or something...do they sell the header connectors? I'll take a look...

...anyways, do you guys recommend this method over a sound card?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can use a CDROM/DVDROM audio cable as a header connector, the wire that plugs into the back of your cd/dvd drive. They use 3 wires its perfect, chop one off if you only need 2 wires (digital coaxial).

Edit: the RCA connectors at radio shack come in a pack of 4, cost about 4 dollars I think, as mentioned above make sure metal doesnt touch your metal case or it simply doesnt work, try to find some sort of rubber washer, but it has to be paper thin most likely.

And yeah I recommend this over a sound card, its a lot cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts