AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching all over and most places don't have them in stock. Also, it can't be a place that requires credit card. It has to be one that offers money order cuz I dont have a credit card and my mom is picky on using her cc on the internet. Can anyoone help me out here please? Modded or non modded doesn't matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try crutchfield at :

http://www.crutchfield.com

They take credit card and are a legitimate company. They'll even pay for the return if you don't like it. Unfortunately, I think it is unmodded.

Hope this helps.

By the way, they have a $25 off first time purchase if you buy over $200. I can give you my discount code if you want. It's cool because you save money and I get a $25 credit towards my next purchase there. Let me know if you interested and I'll give you the code.

Cheers!

Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RimmyS
I've been searching all over and most places don't have them in stock. Also, it can't be a place that requires credit card. It has to be one that offers money order
I believe both Onecall ($206) and Crutchfield except money orders. Call their 800 numbers and ask about it.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I recently got a modded RP82 from JVB, but it didn't recognize DVD-RAM & DVD-Audio discs. It may have been just my unit. I returned it & ordered a standard version from Crutchfield.

I know the JVB mod requires soldering onto the main board, but maybe it also involves a firmware hack that somehow disabled DVD-RAM/DVD-A playback (at least on the unit I got).

UPDATE: I got my standard (unmodded) RP82 from Crutchfield last night & it plays everything perfectly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey chris, thanks for your offer. How much money would I get off with your discount code? Because I was just chatting with the folks at onecall and they too accept money orders and the total is $206 but the problem is that they are out of stock right now so how much total would the player be with your discount code included?

And also, if I wanted to mod this later, would it be cheaper to just buy it modded right now or cheaper to buy it then send it to someone to be modded? And one more question. Im gonna be buying a Toshiba 32inch HDTV soon and I remember someone saying that if you put progressive scan on, it makes every DVD (even if its originally 4:3) into 16:9. Is this true? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think you can save another $30 and get a black or silver unit if you go with the Panny CP72 which is the RP82 as a 5 disc changer. The 72 also uses the sage faroudja chip. search the forums enough and you'll see the discussion on this. the only difference i recall is that the CP72 only has a toslink digital out, no coaxial. the $30 savings is from a manufacturer's rebate which you can find on the panasonic website. you might want to recofirm the valid purchase dates.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The mod costs $100-125 I believe (plus to/from shipping). jvbdigital.com does it & so does avs member CKNA.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting this done but I noticed that is still does not convert PAL to NTSC. My APEX does this.

How are people viewing PAL DVD's on their TV's? Do they have something that does that conversion?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
The mod costs $100-125 I believe (plus to/from shipping). jvbdigital.com does it & so does avs member CKNA.
They also have a DIY mod kit for about $65.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Quote:
How are people viewing PAL DVD's on their TV's?
I have a different DVD player for that ... a Malata N996 (now discontinued). It converts PAL to NTSC perfectly. The Malata 520 & a couple of JVC players will also work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brajesh, Did the modded RP82 you got from JVB Digital have Macrovision and CGMS/A disabled, too? Or was it just region free? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ordered a couple of days ago a modded RP-82 from codefreedvdplayers.com.Have ordered other merchandise from them before

and been satisfied.Hope the mod is good quality i.e. can play any disc that the non-modded version plays.

A couple of years ago I modded my Sony DVD 7000 with mixed results-plays all regions but became picky with some double layer discs irrespective of region.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
kechulater, the RP82 from JVB did also have Macrovision and CGMS/A disabled. I've been in contact with Bas @ JVB (Michigan office) & he's investigating why my modded player refused to play DVD-A & DVD-RAM. He said he'd let me know once he (or his people in the Netherlands) find a fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
kechulater, the RP82 from JVB did also have Macrovision and CGMS/A disabled. I've been in contact with Bas @ JVB (Michigan office) & he's investigating why my modded player refused to play DVD-A & DVD-RAM. He said he'd let me know once he (or his people in the Netherlands) find a fix.
Brajesh,

As you shipped your player back, Bas investigated your player,

And after we investigated it we shipped it to a new customer, (with some discount ofcourse)

and asked him please check DVD-a & DVD ram

as we already found out he confirmed to us ALL OK.

I dont know the reason why you had this problems and we're sorry for this.

If anyone else finds any "problems' with our mods please let us know.

Till today 31-12-02 we havent had any so i may conclude the mods are working as they suppose to be.

To provide a ( if needed ) better service we request users of JVB mods

to Post their experiences.

Thanks to all and a happy New Year

Jan ( JVB The netherlands)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.