Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Rather that using the mdf column/covered in GOM method, I like to look of vertical, small columns made of wood. I have been to Home Depot and a local lumber company and the widest casings they have are about 4 inches. Where can I get bigger ones, like 8 or 10 inches? Do these need to be custom ordered? If so, where?

If you want an example, here is one from Captn Randy's site.

http://homepage.mac.com/cptnrandy/.P...CBCC5511D7.jpg

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those flutes are easily done on site with just a router and a simple edge guide. before the lumber is cut to length clamp a block to either end to act as a stop. Adjust the guide after each pass to cut the next flute. It takes longer to lay out the spacing pattern than it does to actually make the cuts. You can also check with a custom kitchen shop or a fireplace shop. They often carry ornate trims. Your best bet is to have it made for your situation exactly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I suppose I could make them. My skill with the router are very suspect however. :)

- Hal

·
Registered
268 Posts
A child could do this one really. Just make sure you travel in the right direction. If you dont have a plunge cut router it takes a little care to start the cut but you can do it...

·
Registered
268 Posts
BTW I have made fluted columns a little more interesting by adjusting the stop block for pairs of flutes working from the outside in. The outer ones become shorter and gradually work up to the center flute being the longest. I do this at the top only. Just a thought.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi

You might check your yellow pages and look for "millwork" we have places around here that just carry millwork and trim and have a much larger assortment then Home Deposit

Phil

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This all sound great, but if I want to get done by Oct 14, then I probably will have to use prefab materials. That is my due date assigned by my project manager (wife). :)

- Hal

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Phil. I will do that. I went to a store where all the contractors go, but their selection was not any better than HD.

- Hal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.