AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blu-Ray players only show my E: drive (DVD). D: is my LG Blu-Ray drive. Due to selling my house, I haven't played a Bul-Ray movie in a while, so I don't know when this happened or how. I've made some unsucessful attempts to get it back.

What's the procedure? How do I get it back? Not being a computer expert, I think I've forgetten how to do this.

It's a relatively upto date high end HTPC.

Help!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
So you physically have 2 optical drives installed, the LG Bluray and another DVD drive?

If not, the E: drive is your LG BD/DVD/CD combo drive. Have you even tried instering a bluray disc to play?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's see, yup, there's still two drives in there. Whew! I know one can't be in the old house because I'm in the process of "SELLING" the house.

Oh, and the E: drive is still DVD. And wouldn't you know it, the D: drive is still Blu-Ray. Well that solves everything, except for watching a Blu-Ray f....... movie.

I think of myself as being a computer hobbiest. Not being a computer expert doen'nt mean your stupid. But then I'm not watching any BD movies either.

So back to my original question, with my D: drive not being recognised, how do I get it back? I've tried "Add Hardware" and in "Devices" only E: shows. The D: Blu-Ray drive has been working for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins /forum/post/16942204

Let's see, yup, there's still two drives in there. Whew! I know one can't be in the old house because I'm in the process of "SELLING" the house.

Oh, and the E: drive is still DVD. And wouldn't you know it, the D: drive is still Blu-Ray. Well that solves everything, except for watching a Blu-Ray f....... movie.

I think of myself as being a computer hobbiest. Not being a computer expert doen'nt mean your stupid. But then I'm not watching any BD movies either.

So back to my original question, with my D: drive not being recognised, how do I get it back? I've tried "Add Hardware" and in "Devices" only E: shows. The D: Blu-Ray drive has been working for a couple of years.

Some additional info would be helpful so we can fully understand your config.

Are the optiacal drives SATA or IDE?

What OS are you using?

Have you recently moved the system? (cables maybe loose?)

You have 1 HDD and 2ODD drives, correct?

First, as suggested, I would open the box to ensure that the power cable and data cable (SATA or IDE) are both still connected. If either of the cables have a bad connection, then the drive may not show up when you select "My Computer" or under the Device Manager.

Next, go into the BIOS (Del key during post usually works). Check to see if your BIOS is seeing both drives. Again, if the BIOS can't see them, then Window's wont see them.

Now, depending on the OS, it could be that the drive letter was just lost. Go into the Control Panel and select Administrative tools. There should be a "storage" and "disk management" feature where you can see if your OS can see the ODDs. Try Resanning disks to see what that does.

It could also be that the drive just failed and needs to be replaced, however, it's not the first thing I would think to happen.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had this problem with a Blu-ray drive once.

It was due to a corrupted filter driver installed by iTunes. Uninstalling iTunes gave me my drive back.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Java,

The OS is Vista Home Premium with the latest updates.

D: is SATA (BD)

E: is IDE (DVD)

The HTPC is in a huge cabinet on casters that gets moved occassionally

1 HDD & 2 ODDs

Itunes is on another computer

I haven't been on top of this like I should because of selling the house. As soon as I get back I'll be trying all of your suggestions.

As for the 10 types of people, I'm the other.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
All previously mentioned,

But make sure the sata cable and power cables are hooked up. Test power by trying to open the tray. You can test sata cable connected properly by going into your BIOS and seeing if the BIOS picks up the drive, which would mean you have a Windows issue.

If the drive doesn't show up in BIOS and power is connected along with sata cable, then your drive most likely went bad. You could always try replacing the sata cable and inserting it in another sata port to verify neither of those went bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem, but mine would still play DVDs, just no BD or HDDVD. I had to return if for an exchange with the manufacturer. It may have been a filter issue as someone else suggested, but when I got the new drive everything worked as before.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BAD NEWS/ GOOD NEWS

I used to build industrial control panels for a living. So when I didn't see the D: drive in the BIOS I decided to take it apart. I knew what to look for but found nothing loose.

Now the good news. When I put it back together the drive was back. Oh well.

Although I don't know where to give credit, thanks for the input guys.

Now I have to find out why TMT2 needs an upgrade and why DVE HD has no sound in PDVD8. It never ends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.