AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know this? I am seeing this term more and more. I understand bi-polar speakers have multiple drivers facing in different (not always opposite)directions and that the drivers are in phase. Di-polar are the same but out of phase. Is tripolar just a snazzy name for adding a third (identical)driver to a speaker? I ask this because I have M1, M33, 895 and BPS400 Mirage speakers. They are all Bi-polar. The M1's and M3's, however, have addition drivers on the front only...(tweeter &mid identical front and back and bass drivers on the front only) Should the name tripolar been given to them long ago, or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The marketing department at BS Inc ;)?

Seriously, monopole and dipole (quadropole etc) are physically well-established and important concepts, while "other-poles" are not. I believe bipole also originally was a marketing term when it showed up a decade? or so ago.

Anyway, I would not lose any sleep over it. Acoustically, there are much more important issues than this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
C.W. Rice and E.W. Kellog @ Bell labs in 1923 originated the dipole or panel speaker. But as in alot of cases technology was lagging behind the human imagination. Dipoles shoot sound out the front and back. Tripoles have both the dipole technology and Dynamic speakers. Efficient in space, expensive in design. Crossover hell! Check out the book 'Good Sound' by Laura Dearborn @ your local library.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Marketing BS -- I think not!

Tripole is a term used by M&K SOUND to describe their surround speaker design. What it is essentially is a Dipole speaker and a monopole speaker in one cabinet that uses both elements at the same time to give you the best compromise between diffuse and point source imaging. They are also adjustable allowing you to mix and match modes to see what sounds best in your system. I use four of them in my system and they are awesome! Go to MKSOUND.COM for more information on these types of speakers.

Hope that clears things up for you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
C.W. Rice and E.W. Kellog @ Bell labs in 1923 originated the dipole or panel speaker.
Yes, but the dipole concept is not limited to audio or even acoustics and is way, way older than this.

Monopoles and dipoles are originally mathematical concepts and have a profound meaning in physics.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Marketing BS -- I think not!
Forgive me for being jaded when it comes to new concepts in acoustics and loudspeaker design. Having worked professionally with acoustics for over a decade will do that to you ;).

I still do not believe the concept deserves a new "other-pole" designation. Marketing departments often do this to try to make the consumer think the product is something very special.

The speakers may sound excellent, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.