AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that about 75% of the regular posters of just a year ago are no longer here. A bunch of new names (welcome) and a few die hards. Just stop and think about it for a minute, what common names on the forum from a year ago are no longer here. This occured to me about 2 weeks ago when I saw a post by Dman, whom I've not seen post in a while and got me thinking who else has gone. It's a pretty big list. Don't tell me they've all gone digital...:(

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
They have all gotten their setups to the point where they can actually WATCH the projector instead of screwing with it(unlike us perpetual tweakers and fiddlers). The pro's are probably just tired of answering the same old questions again and again.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yeah, we've fixed them all up and they've gone away. Sales are still strong, I'm taking the Alfred Neuman "what, me worry?" attitude!

Curt

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"They have all gotten their setups to the point where they can actually WATCH the projector instead of screwing with it(unlike us perpetual tweakers and fiddlers). The pro's are probably just tired of answering the same old questions again and again"

I think so, too. But I like to talk about CRT's a lot, and I always try to

make the image a tad better. After all, I have seen all the movies that

I like countless times.

Nich

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I thought the same thing as M NEWMAN hasn't been arpund in awhile. Then I realized that since I got rid of my ECP, Mike doesn't have anything to do anymore :D

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Actually, the current black helicopter conspiracy theory is that the digital folk are killing them (slowly) in order to attempt a coup of this board!

I'm not kidding! :p

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I don't post as much after I got the NEC. I didn't need to to because I used the archives for the answer to all my questions. If it wasn't for KennyG, Doug Baisley,Guy Kuo, Chuck Williams and the other NEC experts I would have posted with a million questions.

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I wonder if some of the regulars also used this forum to gently or strongly promote their goods. Now that the forum is so strict, do they still get something in return for all of their knowledgeable posts.

Just a thought. Hmmmm

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think there is a definite burn out phenomenon when it comes to posting on the boards. It is enjoyable for a while, but a good deal of time goes into creating the more useful postings. Then one gets to watch as that well crafted piece scrolls off unnoticed as more frivolous topics garner twenty times more responses. Probably 80% of what I'd consider as my best or informative postings go into obscurity with maybe a handful of responses before scrolling into oblivion. On the other hand, "Kitty Litter for Subwoofers" goes crazy. After a time, you realize that a good deal of the effort is for naught. So you scale back and do something else fun for a few months. Eventually, you come back, but not until after recharging your own batteries.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hello Mr. Kuo:

I, for one, have found several of your previous postings, and have "subscribed" to them so that I can go back and find them later. I do this every time I get ready to take one more run at reconverging my Ampro 3300.

I do wish they would "sticky" some of your more indepth, informative posts. That's probably my #1 criticism of this board in general.

Anyway, thank you again for your outstanding contribution to the forum.

PS. I own the Avia Guide to Home Theater, and use it regularly.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guy,

You may feel that your efforts have slipped into oblivion, but I can tell you it has not. I started the "Holy Focus" thread to thank you for your efforts. It's still sought after by many for the usefull information it contains. Just about everyone I know has printed out a copy just in case it got lost

"into oblivion". Many times, a new member posts a problem with optical and or electrical focus and that's where they are sent and not just from me but all who have used it. Thanks again,

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Guy,

You should know that I have printed out every one of your VERY informative posts, and keep a shrine in your honor on my mantle. So, NO, your efforts are not wasted, and are greatly appreciated by many here.

While I have a strong knowledge of the topic, I truly enjoyed a new perspective on doing some things PJ related, and benefitted from not only yours, but many collective opinions on this forum. But, I think at some point we actually WATCH out theaters and post less. :)

I myself actually got through 2 whole movies recently without picking up the remote!!

Marc

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've noticed that most of the time burnout is the reason. Once upon a time my posts were long. Now I rarely post more then a few sentences. Some also are driven away by some new members who know it all and become a nuisance. Why post if someone will want to challenge and ask the same questions over and over.

I am not as quick to answer the same question the 100th time as there are search-able posts plus since we have some many other members 50K I'm sure others would be glad to help out.

As you can see I've been around for some time and IMO burnout is the reason that I found.

Now Guy on the other hand must type like a mad man. Cranks out a few pages a minute. :D

Dave

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
.... On the other hand, "Kitty Litter for Subwoofers" goes crazy...
Yeah, this kind of stuff is getting to be more and more popular here..... has anyone tried rubbing your video cables in tabasco sauce yet?

There should be a special forum for this. That way the technical minded can avoid headaches.

Guy, you are are needed around here. I'll accept your departure only if you promise to post more often.

·
Registered
359 Posts
guy - I'm another one who has some of your posts printed and pdf'ed and are tucked away along with the CRT manual... your efforts do not go unnoticed - I for one thank you. (there are others as well - I've printed some of cookie's stuff, curt's stuff... and others)

guy - your words live on.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
While we're all giving Guy a bloated head, I guess I should chime in too: :)

I have a special directory on my computer called 'Guy Kuo' where I cut & paste a good number of his posts just so that I still have them if ever they're nuked or get too old...

Kal

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
I still browse the forum everyday but seldom post due to having my PJ set to go. Now if I get a different PJ than I have now my posting habits would surely change.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.