AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all,

So I just took the plunge into home audio at the recommendation of a friend.

I've already purchased a receiver that suits my needs quite well, the Onkyo TX-NR626.

Now, I'm really not sure where to begin when it comes to looking at (hearing?) speakers.

My friend had recommended the Klipsch RF-42 II's for speakers, but I'd like to hear some other options before I pull the trigger on anything.

I've done a little bit of research, but I'm the type who has to meticulously pour over everything beforehand.  I'd much rather have floor standing speakers, given a choice.

Current contenders (for fronts)are the Bic DV84's or DV64's, or the aforementioned Klipsch RF-42 II's.

The requisite information is:

Room size: 12'x18' living room with 8' ceiling

Room layout:  Screen is on one 12' wall, there's a 5' archway (entrance) on the opposite 12' wall.  Seating is 6' in from the archway.

Listening Preferences: music (metal, electronic, and rock), video games, and movies, in no particular order

Budget: Under $1500

This is for a 5.1 or 5.2 system (I'll add an extra sub down the road)

I think that's everything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

My first advice would be not to buy any speakers before you have heard them! And now that that has been said, I have couple of pointers for you. I'm not a pro in the audio equipment catergory but I think you could find these useful for a start. Also, take everything you hear with a grain of salt as everyone has their own opinions and you might hear different advices from different (or the same) people down the road. I have no experience with the speakers you mentioned so I can't comment on them. I have no specific suggestions either. Here goes:

1) You might want to consider bookshelf speakers as your front mains if you are going to buy a subwoofer anyway. At that price range the bookshelves are normally better than the floorstanders of the same price and with a sub you don't need the bass capability of the floorstanders. Of course you have to buy stands for those speakers but still. Some might disagree with me on this so don't take my word for it, seek the speaker that sound the best for you!

2) As a good subwoofer usually costs at least somewhere in the 400-600 dollars, you might consider only getting one of those. There is a lot of discussion about whether two cheaper models are better than one bigger model, but if the cheaper ones don't actually even give out the lowest octave very well then the question is moot. The subwoofer section has great topic on this so you might want to check there!

3) Remember that your center speaker should always be of the same series as your fronts! Audyssey should help with that but no reason to begin with different sounding main speakers and center speaker.

Good luck with your new journey!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbeard  /t/1508420/where-do-i-even-start#post_24132800

Hello all,

So I just took the plunge into home audio at the recommendation of a friend.

I've already purchased a receiver that suits my needs quite well, the Onkyo TX-NR626.

Now, I'm really not sure where to begin when it comes to looking at (hearing?) speakers.

My friend had recommended the Klipsch RF-42 II's for speakers, but I'd like to hear some other options before I pull the trigger on anything.

I've done a little bit of research, but I'm the type who has to meticulously pour over everything beforehand.  I'd much rather have floor standing speakers, given a choice.

Current contenders (for fronts)are the Bic DV84's or DV64's, or the aforementioned Klipsch RF-42 II's.

The requisite information is:

Room size: 12'x18' living room with 8' ceiling

Room layout:  Screen is on one 12' wall, there's a 5' archway (entrance) on the opposite 12' wall.  Seating is 6' in from the archway.

Listening Preferences: music (metal, electronic, and rock), video games, and movies, in no particular order

Budget: Under $1500

This is for a 5.1 or 5.2 system (I'll add an extra sub down the road)

I think that's everything.

Thanks in advance.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

A pair of S70 for fronts, an S50 for a center and a pair of S30's for rears.

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=Cambridge+Audio

A Powersound Sub:

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs15

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs15

Another thought is some Primus speakers with a Powersound sub. A pair of P363's for fronts, PC351 center and a pair or P163's for rears.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/reconditioned.asp

If you live near a Fry's, you can save some money on P363's and the P163's.

I am sure other people will have ideas.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would add BIC Acoustech to your list. Either the PL-89II towers and PL-28II center or PL-76 towers and PL-26 center and PL-66 surrounds. Check out acousticsounddesign.com for the best prices on BIC Acoustech. A 5 speaker set or even a 7 speaker set of those speakers will leave you with enough money to get a "good" sub.

For a sub the minimum I'd recommend is an SVS PB1000 at $499 shipped, but with the plans of adding a second one when you can. Other good options would include the Rythmik LV12R for $589 shipped, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus or EX, Hsu VTF2 MK4, PSA XV15. But eventually I'd suggest going with duals of whatever sub you get.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6  /t/1508420/where-do-i-even-start#post_24133162

If you live near a Fry's, you can save some money on P363's and the P163's.

I am sure other people will have ideas.

The P363s have a lot going for them. Here are the results of some blind tests comparing them to some other options like those being discussed:

[

and the blind test results line up with the pictures above and are:

For subwoofers I would choose

Econo Subwoofer good enough for music (pick one)

Acoustech PL-200

BIC America F12

More maxed out subwoofers for spectacular HT:

Hsu VTF 3 or VTF 4

SVS SB 1000, SB12 or SB13 Ultra

Rhythmic LV12R

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Net beard, what is your location ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint  /t/1508420/where-do-i-even-start#post_24135672

Net beard, what is your location ?

I am in Dayton, OH.

Parts-express is not too far of a drive, so I will definitely be checking out everything they have to offer, I think there are a few other home theater places in the area as well.  Can't wait to listen to some speakers. :)

Seems like the RLV12R is an excellent sub, I will try to find somewhere I can hear it.

EDIT:  How do you guys feel about Pinnacle speakers?  I've been seeing mixed reviews.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you are interested in the Infinity speakers there is a Fry's in Fishers, IN.

It looks like a doable road trip.

Every couple or three weeks the infinity Primus 363 speakers are on sale for around $220/pr.

At that price they are unbeatable, you could get two pair of those the Infinity center and a Hsu VTF-2 sub for well under your $1500 budget.

Several people I know have bought these and I have heard them in three different homes, they sound really nice.

While I try not to be a blind fanboy I like Klipsch speakers and I think the system below would do a good job for you too.

Take a look at this system, if you add the 310 sub and put TV15 code in the shopping cart it is $1529.13 to the door.
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=692&crid=243&cat_name=Klipsch+Home+Theater+Systems

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbeard  /t/1508420/where-do-i-even-start#post_24150620

I found this when searching about the Infinity 363's: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/primus-p363/primus-p363-measurements

Though I can't vouch for this reviewer, I am concerned about connecting 4 ohm speakers to my AVR, as it's only rated down to 6 ohm.
Though there's a 4-ohm dip, that speaker would oft be classed as 6-ohm nominal. I own 360's and have never had a AVR interaction problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So, had a chance to run down to parts express yesterday.

They didn't have the BIC Floorstanding units set up for listening, but I did get a chance to hear the BIC Venturi 12" sub.

MAN, that thing is impressive!  Dirt cheap, at around $200, and it nearly took the roof off under 50% volume. (Test clip is Revenge of the Sith opening with the star destroyer)

Also had a chance to listen to the center channel.  Sounded nice and clear, though I certainly don't have a trained ear, so I'm not really sure what I should be listening for.

There's a few other home theater places nearby, hoping to listen to some more in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbeard  /t/1508420/where-do-i-even-start#post_24161780

So, had a chance to run down to parts express yesterday.

They didn't have the BIC Floorstanding units set up for listening, but I did get a chance to hear the BIC Venturi 12" sub.

MAN, that thing is impressive!  Dirt cheap, at around $200, and it nearly took the roof off under 50% volume. (Test clip is Revenge of the Sith opening with the star destroyer)

Also had a chance to listen to the center channel.  Sounded nice and clear, though I certainly don't have a trained ear, so I'm not really sure what I should be listening for.

another option for the sub is maybe get 2 of the dayton audio sub1200's instead of 1 bic. if however you have the budget i would get a much better sub than either of those.

and as zieglj01 suggested the HTD speakers are very nice. A lot of speaker for the price and they look very impressive and the finish of the cabinet is beautiful.

HTD has a 30 day guarantee, so if you dont like them they pay return shipping and give you a full refund, no questions asked. Also their customer service is first rate.

off topic- i was born in dayton.... i know who cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all,

Checking back in after such a long time, sorry about that, family emergency.

I ended up getting 3 of the Infinity Primus P363s for front left, center, and right channels. (I have a projector so I can afford the space)

Picking up the Powersound XV15 in a few days, and still trying to decide on rears, debating between the HTD level 3 surrounds and the Klipsch RS-42s.

I'm pretty sure I want a dipole/bipole for the rears, but I'm open to suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts