AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've reached a crossroads with my current set up. I'm just an average enthusiast (family man), but I do like well balanced sound. I've currently got my Denon 3803, linked with a PS3, my M&K 5.1 system, and the awesome 61" Pioneer Kuro. It's time to move to a new receiver, as mine doesn't accommodate HDMI, and thus I'm shut out of my blu-ray audio codes.

So I'll cut to my questions. Can you give me a couple of receiver makes/models, moderately priced, that will offer me comparable sound to my 3803? Also, do you guys hang onto your old receivers? My 3803 is in great working condition, so perhaps I could turn it into a nice little system for my wife and kids? Seems like a waste to simply get rid of it or even sell it for next to nothing on craigslist.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Rather then getting a new HDMI AVR, you could get a new BDP that decoded HD audio to multi channel analog outs and connect them to the 3803 to play the blu ray HD audio tracks. A couple former 3802 owners posted in the 1910 thread that they were very impressed with the quality of Audyssey MultEQ in the 1910 they got to replace their 3802.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18214384

Rather then getting a new HDMI AVR, you could get a new BDP that decoded HD audio to multi channel analog outs and connect them to the 3803 to play the blu ray HD audio tracks.

I heard this from somebody I know, but I guess I've been out of the tech loop for so long, I have no idea how to do it. We had twin boys 3 years ago, and needless to say, my hi-fi hobby was placed on hold.

This might be the smartest (or most frugal) thing to do in the short term. I have a PS3 which I never play games on. I need to sell that damn thing, but apart from that, if I can simply purchase a BDP with decoding capabilities and connect it to one of the Denon's digital coax slots, I'd be golden for another year or 2 anyway. Sounds like a winning idea.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "not knowing how to do it"? If you get a new BDP that is able to decode Blu-Ray HD audio to multi-channel out (generally about $100 more than regular BDPs), you simply would connect a set of multi channel RCA cables from the BDP to the Denon's EXT IN jacks. It doesn't make sense to connect using digital coax as the best you'll get is what you've got now ... either DD or DTS (no HD audio).

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18215543

Not sure what you mean by "not knowing how to do it"? If you get a new BDP that is able to decode Blu-Ray HD audio to multi-channel out (generally about $100 more than regular BDPs), you simply would connect a set of multi channel RCA cables from the BDP to the Denon's EXT IN jacks. It doesn't make sense to connect using digital coax as the best you'll get is what you've got now ... either DD or DTS (no HD audio).

That is exactly what I did about a year ago when I was contemplating replacing my 3802 which is still performing flawlessly. I got a Sony 550 instead of the 350. I can't remember the price difference the but it was less than $100.

Mike in Mich

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Glad your 3803 is alive and kicking. First one I bought a number of years ago was sent in repairs from where I bought it while it was still under warranty. Denon couldn't repair it and I got a new unit.

That one crapped out as well. I went with an Onkyo SR605 a year or so ago. It served me well but always looking for a better solution, I'm trying a Denon AVR790 and Pioneer 1019AH now.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Couple of things to consider:

1.) You can go the multichannel analog connection route but be aware that the bass management capabilities of most players is pretty limited.

2.) The benefit of the new audio codecs is quite arguable.

My 3803 is still working fine, too, btw. As is my 4:3 Sony WEGA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's a tough call. Spend a few hundred bucks on a higher end BDP that decodes, or bite the bullet and spend $500 on a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K that has multiple HDMI slots and can play my iPOD.

How will this mid level Pioneer (and comparable Onkyo products) compare to my current Denon 3803 in terms of sound? I can't imagine they would be too much worse.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
and thus I'm shut out of my blu-ray audio codes.????

I too have the long on the tooth 3803- and interviewing newer AVR/pre-pro/amp candidates.

It is a tough road to go though all the reviews.

However, try this first and you might be a bit surprised.

My system 3803 we added in a 2ch pro power amp ($300> 200wpc) for the front speaker added in a Oppo 83 all connected via 5.1 Analogue interconnects {either BJean or Monoprice} in the Denon Ext. In-- using the Oppo to handle distance/trim. HDMI>display. I get a fantastic PQ and fantastic BR TRUE audio.... for movies.... & music..

1. Look maybe at EMO -xpa-2-3 amp ($500) {which you could use in the future also- if you decide to go all HDMI} and an -Oppo 83/80 ~$500 or less.

It maybe cheaper than a Modern $800 +AVR + BRD player.

You can’t go wrong with any of the Oppo BR Players… whatever direction you go. I would start with the player and then add newer gear.

my 2.5 cents {adjusted for inflation}

db

* Oppo Beta Tester

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/18216543

My 3803 is still working fine, too, btw. As is my 4:3 Sony WEGA.

I found this old thread and am in the same situation as the O/P and the above gentleman

Come X-mas, I think I will get a new TV and a new AVR, the Denon AVR 2112 looks like it will meet my needs.

What solutions did others come up with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts