AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a "cove" to the right of the television in the corner of the living room (behind the blue chair) where I currently have the sub (pictured), but I am concerned that the sub's performance/quality could be negatively affected because it is surrounded by three walls (the wall covered by the curtain rises to a window at about 2' above the floor) -- the fireplace sticks out a bit and encloses the area as you can see from the pictures. Any input/comments/suggestions are welcome!

I have the Ascend Sierra 1 LCRs and a Hsu VTF2 MK3 sub, powered by the Onkyo 805

We just moved and are still waiting for delivery of new sofa, rug, etc, so the place is still a bit bare.

The other side of the television is a glass sliding door leading to a courtyard patio. See below.

·
Registered
710 Posts
After 6 months of owning my sub I crawled for bass today. I was completely blown away as to how much different the bass sounded every couple of feet in my room. After about an hour I was able to put my sub on the opposite of the room where it was and now it is less boomy and more crisp. Watching the dark knight on blu i was able to feel the sub in my chest instead of just hear it. This is going to cause me to rewatch many scenes in my collection. To find out how to do this go to audio theory, setup, and chat forum. Paired with an spl meter to calibrate it properly I had my sub set at -10 on my receiver now I have it at -5.5 because I eliminated reflections causing a jump in spl. Im still amazed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put the sub on the other side of the television stand near the sliding glass door and from my ears with music, it seems that it plays significantly less loud. I will pick up a db meter to further test, but for now it appears that of the two, the corner is the best playing position, despite the three walls boxing it in somewhat. Interesting find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts