AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experience with certain DVDs that the picture shows horizontal black stripes. This is particularly the case in single color non-moving fields of a darker color, for example night sky or dark backgrounds. A white wall doesn't show this effect. It was really obvious in "Unbreakable". It is not in all films, so I wonder whether it depends on the DVD. The effect is a little like the chroma bug on red except that it appears with dark areas and not only red.

Also, in video based sequences - usually during the extras - there are bad horizontal black stripes as soon as an object is moving, no matter which color. I suppose this is a matter of video versus film decoding.

Another thing that seems to creep up in certain discs are horizontal stripes on the top and bottom edge. These stripes are transparent as if someone but some overhead transparencies on my screen that break the light and slightly shift the pixels. They are around 1/3 inch large and run the entire length. Again the effect depends on the DVD. Some have it, some don't.

I hope this is the right place to post this. Let me give you my equipment so you know where to look for the mistake, if this is indeed a mistake and not an inherent quality of DVd reproduction.

I use a Pio DV-47a (with chroma bug but otherwise excellent video section) through component via a 49txi into a Sharp M-20X projector. The screen is a 106" diag. Da-Lite Matte white at about 12 feet distance. The player is set to progressive and the PJ does accept and recognize 480P input. System is set-up with Avia.

Please help as this is starting to bug me, even if the picture is really good otherwise.

Thanks,

Till

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.