AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the crts were new and very expensive. There seems to be many used crts on the us market. Who sold these expensive to buy projectors for a fraction of what they payed for them?

The military? If so , what is the military using today.

Simulation industry?

Companies? Why did they buy one in the first place. to show powerpoint?

Perhaps reading this forum gives the false impression that the us is swimming in used crt projectors.

Also check this out on improved color gamut.

http://www.loehneysen.de/#196

·
Registered
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohlson
Once the crts were new and very expensive. There seems to be many used crts on the us market. Who sold these expensive to buy projectors for a fraction of what they payed for them?

Perhaps reading this forum gives the false impression that the us is swimming in used crt projectors.
http://www.loehneysen.de/#196
My CRT was in a university. I think universities, government and large corporations owned most of them. Why? Because they like to spend other people's money on fancy stuff (in the 90's....the rest of us just used overhead projectors).

Unfortunately the US is not swimming in these things...I can't see how you could get that idea from reading this forum. Yet there are enough available for those who want them...and they are relatively cheap....and they do kick butt. :D

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
zu ohlson, ich kann nicht zu gut deutch lassen oder sprechen aber als enie ersten generatione canadishen geboren mensch from kasiars latuen du most verstehen das die crt market inne die staten un ins canada ist sehr gut was viehr tuhen zahlen fuhr eine guten crt ist nicht wasse du verst zahlen im europa, heir in canada ich kann eina gute barco 800 oder 801,808, oder sony 1271,1272, mit nicht zu viele stunden auf die machinen kaufen fuhr 2000 deutche marks when in deutche land der selbe wert im kosten viel mehr........

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Mine came from a corporation although I'm not 100%, I think it may have been Enron! Let's see, purchased it June 2002 from someone who had gotten it from a company. Stickers were already removed, but the time frame (and the fact that it came from Houston) leads me to believe such :rolleyes:

Why did they sell it at a loss????

·
Registered
101 Posts
My company had one of these in the boardroom, as I'm sure thousands and thousands did. When these came out, this was the stuff, you could show training videos or computer graphics. $16 grand $21 grand is not alot of money for large companies and universities. Most places replace equipment after a certain deprecation period is up (5 to 8 years) This is a cost of doing business and is wrote off on taxes as such. Most companies sell to recoup the money of dealing with selling the item, for example, My company sold one for $300 (I was not into these yet) I was told they would have just gave it away, but they are not allowed. Remember these things are HUGE compared to an lcd which is portable, and who has personnel around to work on them? How many were watching movies on them? I would bet not alot. It takes a special person to want a "small Car" sized projector, when you can get one the size of a notebook computer. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
to folgott , his post or attachement article was in german, so assumption can be made he understands german.........................

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
heaven and then curt palme... where else?

·
Registered
299 Posts
My NEC XG came from a conference room in the company I work for. South and west facing windows. I have been in meetings where they debated one powerpoint slide for an hour on this machine. To make it worse, our company logo is green, so everything has a green background. I got the projector on the cheap when they upgraded (in their mind) to a bulb for its additional brightness. The projector has 3000 hours and the tubes are shot. Thank god someone was stupid enough to buy this beast for .ppt shows, I was lucky enough to know what it is capable of, and that they still make tubes!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here is my post in Swedish Chef lingo! My NEC XG ceme-a frum a cunfference-a ruum in zee cumpuny I vurk fur. Suoot und vest feceeng veendoos. I hefe-a beee in meeteengs vhere-a zeey debeted oone-a pooerpueent sleede-a fur un huoor oon thees mecheene-a. Tu meke-a it vurse-a, oooor cumpuny lugu is greee, su iferytheeng hes a greee beckgruoond. I gut zee prujectur oon zee cheep vhee zeey upgreded (in zeeur meend) tu a boolb fur its eddeeshunel breeghtness. Zee prujectur hes 3000 huoors und zee toobes ere-a shut. Thunk gud sumeune-a ves stoopeed inuoogh tu booy thees beest fur .ppt shoos, I ves loocky inuoogh tu knoo vhet it is cepeble-a ooff, und thet zeey steell meke-a toobes!!! Bork Bork Bork!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It looks more like dutch to me but who am I to say ;) ;) ;)

I was very impressed by the German by the way! I studied it for five years and darn it's difficult.

Go kväll grabbar :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry guys, we have a show over here called the Muppets. They had a puppet that was from Sweden. The joke doesn't translate well. I too was impressed with the German. My German gets infinitely better with a few hefe-weisen. I don't think that I would have even considered a German reply.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Geez...I remeber the muppets, and when I read that I could see that dang chef on screen! Bork! Bork! Bork!

It was truly meant in good humor I think...If you guys had ever seen it you laugh your butt off!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoLLgoTT
@penticton102

I think Ohlson is from Sweden... ;)
Tell that to Eminem! He won a Danish music award and thanked us in Dutch instead of Danish.

If I remember correctly .. then 80% of the american youth can't point out their own country on a map.

Oh and by the way .. Danish ICEHOCKEY RULES

:D

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i was waiting for somebody to congrat the danish team for a huuuuuuuuge upset over the usa......as for danish ice hockey rules, it does for now until the danes play canada...............

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
My PG's all came from the local university. Some were shot, tube wise, and some were actually perfect. And CHEAP!

The German article was quite good. I suppose being German does help. :D

Marc

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Ich bin auch ein Deutscher! (I think that is right!)

Canucks ueber alles!

Curt

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I wish I could have read some of these posts :)

Man we have lots of diversity on here and we do all understand one complex language................CRT

just amazing. Its no wounder the CRT is dieing a seriously sssssllllllloooooowwww death :) maby someone will find a cure and keep it around a lot longer........oh yea I forgot VDC did that already for most of them LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.