AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an X1 and wanted to get/make a cheap nice screen. I ended up with a real nice piece of MightyCore foam board $55 and thought I'll paint it with a reflective paint. I decided to go with the Behr Silver that some have used on this board and I mixed it 50% with a Behr White Opal Pearlesent that also had reflective properties. I thought a 50% mixture would make my silver much less dark, I was wrong and it still turned out real dark. I put on 4 coast of kills 2 - worked flawlessly. I mix my Behr concoction and applies 4 coats. One problem I had is I could not get the rollermakrs out - I don't have access to a nice spray gun like some here, but I was willing to live with some roller lines. Well I thought by coat 4 that this is going to be WAY to dark. I stopped to gave it a test run, I put it on the wall mount and Fired up my X1. It looked very nice(Except for the roller marks), not insanely great but it did have +1 gain and darker blacks. But one thing I quickly learned was it also had a serious cone. If you were 20% of of the edge of the screen the light dropped by 25-50% and you lost the nice gain that you have setting directly in front of it. Anyway the roller mark were not acceptable and I made sure I kept the other side of my foam board very clean which is what I'm using now.

What I learned is that matte white or flat white really doesn't get the respect it deserves. The fact that I could set anywhere in my front room and my projected image were 100% consistent I found to be very huge benefit of white. The blacks that you get with a white screen just aren't that bad ( maybe I'd wouldn't think so if I had a LCD). But I found cone viewing to really reduce the over all quality of the HT. I found this so important to me that I will never get a reflective screen unless it has a huge cone - which by design there not supposed to. I know the SilverStar has a very wide cone and right now it's the only one I would consider and I'd have to see one. Through this little experiment I found that Flat White is my screen of choice, I get Great blacks( at least on my X1), I get fantastic colors, I get picture consistency, and Huge viewing angle that I think is very important for everyone to enjoy the movie. I love the fact that I can walk 170% around my screen and still have a great picture. It was worth every penny for me to learn I Don't Like Cones.

Where do you want your light?, I like mine spread out only because my picture still rocks with it. Some might want there light focused right back to a specific portion of the seating and in a pro-setup maybe that better, but I even noticed while inside the cone just looking at the outer parts of the image the brightness dropped off. Flat white screens are the all around balanced player, easy to find, easy to make -DIY, 90% of the color or blacks of most screens, 250% better viewing cones, 1000% cheaper. It wasn't broke and I tried to fix it. Maybe when I see a Silverstar the cone will blow me away and if so I won't hesitate to get one. For right now white is my MVP. david

·
Registered
832 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Pure silver has an awful viewing cone, but a mist of silver on top of white is a LOT better. The silverstar is of course better still. Vutec really hit a home run with it!

Eric.

(not a paid endorsement for Vutec, but if they want to send me a 120" silverstar, I wouldn't turn it down!)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hi there Eric

Have you seen the Silverstar?

What were your impressions of the screen versus others?

I have an SX21 with Stewart Studiotek 130 and am trying to understand what the impact of the Silverstar will be. The likelihood of someone having the Silverstar with the SX21 seems remote.

Thx

Rob

·
Registered
832 Posts
Rob, the vutec silverstar sample that I have is for me the "gold" standard, but I would sacrifice some of its brightness for deeper blacks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.