AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was enjoying reading this forum until activity has suddenly dropped off. Please keep posting more information for us folks! I posted a question for my friend earlier and its gone :confused: . I need to know how big the sanyo will project in a room about 14 by 10'

Where has everyone gone :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Sara

The weekends are a very slow time for the forum. Normally we only have

400 members at a time but today we have almost 800 at any given time on average.

If you look at the fist page it is full of posts from today all but a few at the bottom. Plenty of activity. Do you mean lack of responding to your ?

It could be it did not get answered because it was not HS10 related:) I could not resist.

I just did a admin search and did not see anything pulled that was posted by you??

You may want to Re post your question.

Tomorrow things will be back to high traffic.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sara,

Here is your post and its answers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...08#post1590208

It's good to keep reading the forum for information as you continue to look at buying a front projector. Another site, that answers questions about throw distances is projectorcentral.com. There is a projection calculator on the home page. Find the projector, type in one aspect, and the rest is calculated for you. Very useful. You can also find the specs of most projectors there. Also very useful. Be sure to see a DLP projector, an LCD, and an LCD with MLA, before you settle on any particular model. If you can swing seeing an LCOS or CRT, that will help, also. Once you have the performance of a particular projector in a particular technology in your experience, it makes the decision much easier. Then, seeing your first few choices in person helps, too. I didn't have that luxury, but I did see the LCD with MLA, and I was sold... My husband recently saw an LCD without MLA and he is very pleased we have the projector we have. Rainbows can be a problem with some DLP's, but what I noticed more, is that the background seemed to "move" in a flashy way. Not everyone sees this. There were some other artifacts that annoyed me, temporal dithering in particular, and so I wasn't happy at all with that demo. When the LCD projector was displayed, I was thrilled (Sanyo XP21N, btw) with what I saw. Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Sara,

Here is your post and its answers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...08#post1590208

It's good to keep reading the forum for information as you continue to look at buying a front projector. Another site, that answers questions about throw distances is projectorcentral.com. There is a projection calculator on the home page. Find the projector, type in one aspect, and the rest is calculated for you. Very useful. You can also find the specs of most projectors there. Also very useful. Be sure to see a DLP projector, an LCD, and an LCD with MLA, before you settle on any particular model. If you can swing seeing an LCOS or CRT, that will help, also. Once you have the performance of a particular projector in a particular technology in your experience, it makes the decision much easier. Then, seeing your first few choices in person helps, too. I didn't have that luxury, but I did see the LCD with MLA, and I was sold... My husband recently saw an LCD without MLA and he is very pleased we have the projector we have. Rainbows can be a problem with some DLP's, but what I noticed more, is that the background seemed to "move" in a flashy way. Not everyone sees this. There were some other artifacts that annoyed me, temporal dithering in particular, and so I wasn't happy at all with that demo. When the LCD projector was displayed, I was thrilled (Sanyo XP21N, btw) with what I saw. Good luck!
There is never enough information to read!!. I don't know how my thread got there but thankyou to everyone who answered my question, the projector calculator helped me. I did try to reply to that thread and thank everyone but it said closed.

A friend has a DLP for his business and also uses it for home theater, I never saw rainbows :confused: but it made our eyes feel tired after a few hours. This is one of the reasons why I went for LCD :D . The kids dont know yet, but they are getting a PC and xbox as their joint presents. Is it possible to use the projector as a display for the xbox?.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
sara,

yes, you can use a projector with the xbox or any other gaming console. That is what I do with my AE100. I have my xbox hooked up to it and gaming on the big screen (106" diagonal) is AMAZING. IMO, the kids will love it if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sara
There is never enough information to read!!.
Sara, there is a "search" button at the top. Click on it, type in what you want to search for (use AND for better results) and click on "show as posts". Also, at the bottom you can see "show posts for X number of days." Increase this number to see threads that have not had posts to it lately and so have dropped off the visible threads. Also, there are PAGES of threads that you can click on at the bottom of the forum page. You can also click on someone's profile and ask it to show all the posts that person has made. If you find someone whose opinions and information help you, you can track that person's contributions across the forum. Good luck! BTW, what is your projector budget?

Dawn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou again for the information. I will read all the threads about xbox later on tonight when the kids are not around :D. I am spending $3000 on the projector but my friend only wants to spend a maximum of $2000 or less. So far I have suggested the Sanyo, and I have ordered the Sony HS10.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
be sure that you get the "HD Advance" pack for the xbox. You'll need it to connect the xbox via component, which IMO you should do since component is the best output for it.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Sara, there is a "search" button at the top. Click on it, type in what you want to search for (use AND for better results) and click on "show as posts". Also, at the bottom you can see "show posts for X number of days." Increase this number to see threads that have not had posts to it lately and so have dropped off the visible threads. Also, there are PAGES of threads that you can click on at the bottom of the forum page. You can also click on someone's profile and ask it to show all the posts that person has made. If you find someone whose opinions and information help you, you can track that person's contributions across the forum. Good luck! BTW, what is your projector budget?

Dawn
Some good advice.....However, the AND function doesn't work as you might expect. It will find occurences of both words, however, it will find them within an entire thread, not within a single post, unfortunately. So, if you want to know how well the RP82 works with an HS10 and you search for HS10 and RP82, it will find threads where one poster may have said something about the HS10, and another poster something about the RP82, but they may not be by the same member in a single post, and therefore be completely unrelated.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I didn't realize that. But I've found if I throw enough specific words in the mix, or limit it to the forums from which I want to read, it works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
How do you search for 'good advice and Jimmyr" ? I'd like to see what I wrote.

I'm almost positive I "helped" someone at least once but can't find a thing. If I include hs10 it still doesn't work and my computer shuts down.

There must be something in that "cookie" Alan gave me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Carefull using XBOX on a big screen. I have a 159" diag and I get sick to my stomach every time I play due to motion sickness or refresh, not sure. I have the component out for XBOX as well????

Ryan

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slickrock22
Carefull using XBOX on a big screen. I have a 159" diag and I get sick to my stomach every time I play due to motion sickness or refresh, not sure. I have the component out for XBOX as well????

Ryan
WOW that is big... if you are getting sick you should try sitting back from the screen at least 5 feet :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Motion sickness becomes a bigger issue the larger the screen is. You are seeing that you seem to be moving but your sense of balance is telling you that you're sprawled out on a couch and hey presto, motion sickness.

Sara, a tip about threads you want to follow is to find the link "subscribe to this thread" at the end of it, you can do it to threads you yourself have posted too. That way you can find them easily from your user control panel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.