AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been out of the loop on DVD-Recs for a while, and I know they were cutting back in favour of PVRs in general, but I didn't realise that things have gotten so extreme they now appear to have now completely vanished from the face of the Earth!

Basically I'm in the UK and have a Sony RDR-HXD890 which is on its way out. It's used heavily by a disabled relative who uses its analogue tuner to timeshift (in a bedroom) the RF output coming from a Sky digital Satellite box (from the lounge). The lounge satellite box is a standard Sky+ HD PVR that can record two things at once, but like most PVR's can only playback one thing to one set at once. The advantage of the DVD-Rec in the bedroom, is is to allow us to actually watch two different things simultaneously in the evening without needing to pay a higher subscription + a second satellite box, etc.

Are there absolutely no DVD / PVR recorders with PAL analogue tuners out there anymore? Last resort is building a Mini-ITX HTPC with a Hauppauge HVR hybrid card, but I was really hoping to get a standalone unit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts

While I don't see any of the EH-59/69 models that I have and like(which have a analog PAL tuner) I do see several Panasonic models on Amazon UK. Personally if I lived in the UK I'd probably opt for one of the HD BR recorders(which also record to DVD) but I'm not sure if they also include a analog PAL tuner. This is my favorite Panasonic BD recorder, lots of good reviews although I believe it has limited SD outputs(no SCART for sure).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-BWT735EB-Blu-ray-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00BYUGN6U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396615446&sr=8-5&keywords=panasonic+dvd+recorder+hdd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=panasonic%20dvd%20recorder%20hdd&sprefix=panasonic+dvd+recorder%2Caps%2C695

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0009JFBCY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1396615296&sr=8-4   A favorite of mine, I'd probably snap it up if it were near me, analog for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks very much for your reply Jeff. I did look at all the BD recorders, but they're now all digital tuner only. Analogue signal shutdown is understandable, but I'm just amazed how manufacturers have forgotten feeds to bedrooms, etc, often involve RF / coax leads (needing analogue tuner), and don't offer at least one dual-tuner model.

Ah well, thanks again for the links!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
can the above recorder be used at all in the USA (voltage issues aside)..

can you send the output of a cable box or DVR to this unit and record?

would the Blu ray discs made be able to be played in the USA, or is there a region 2 stamp on them?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSim500  /t/1525792/where-have-all-the-dvd-recorders-gone#post_24567877

Analogue signal shutdown is understandable, but I'm just amazed how manufacturers have forgotten feeds to bedrooms, etc, often involve RF / coax leads (needing analogue tuner), and don't offer at least one dual-tuner model.

It isn't so much "mfrs have forgotten" as it is "lack of consumer demand." For every person trying to economize by using an RF feed to avoid renting a second box, there are twenty others who are more than happy to sell their children to a sweat shop to finance that extra box. You're also shopping for a DVD/HDD just as the product category is on the verge of extinction: pretty much the only major brand left selling them is Panasonic, and they have been cost-cutting their EU units like crazy. Dual-band analog/digital tuners were the most trouble-prone component of DVD/HDDs, so mfrs got rid of them in some models as soon as UK digital took over (in USA/Canada, we still have some analog signals on our cable television systems, and it causes endless problems).

Your Sony RDR-HXD890 was among the last of the truly top-notch premium DVRs. If refurbished by a service center, it should last you another five years, by which time hardly anybody will be using such units. For about what you'd spend on a new Panasonic, or perhaps a bit more, a Sony authorized service depot can install a new DVD burner and/or HDD, which is all that ever goes wrong with that model series. Quite frankly, given the poor reputation of the current Panasonics compared to their older models, I think repairing your Sony RDR-HXD890 would result in a much better recorder. Plus, you're familiar with how it operates and it has the analog tuner you need. At least in UK, you have the option for such repairs: in North America, no facility will touch these older recorders (or indeed, any recorders: they're essentially disposable here).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich  /t/1525792/where-have-all-the-dvd-recorders-gone#post_24567946

can the above recorder be used at all in the USA (voltage issues aside)..

Theoretically you could use it but there would be no point. The Panasonic BD recorders cannot record in HDTV quality from external sources, only their internal broadcast/satellite tuners, which don't work in North America. When connected to an external tuner, cable box or satellite box they revert to being DVD recorders no better (actually rather worse) than an EH59.

Quote:
can you send the output of a cable box or DVR to this unit and record?

Yes, but see drawbacks above.

Quote:
would the Blu ray discs made be able to be played in the USA, or is there a region 2 stamp on them?

You would not be able to make true BluRay discs in high definition from external NTSC sources, see above.

Note buyers in Europe are none too thrilled with the current Panasonic BD recorders: they are not nearly as flexible as Americans dream they are. Panasonic recording options for BD format are very constrained and peculiar compared to what you can do with the EH59 DVD/HDD, The interface and editing features are intensely disliked compared to earlier BD models and esp earlier Panasonic DVD recorders. As the EU market for disc recorders dwindled, Panasonic began making these units cruder and less reliable, to the point they're now almost as hated in EU as the Samsung-sourced Sonys that replaced the Pioneer-sourced RDR-HX series in 2010.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
thanks for the response; you answered all my question with your very 1st answer.

I will be upgrading recording my sporting events to Blue-ray dis this summer, via computer/happaungage (SP)...and burner...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts