AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so many sub manufacturers having supply issues or closed up shop completely, there is definitely a vacuum.....

What are you guys top 5 15" subs for small to moderately sized sealed enclosures? Start with enclosure size of 2.5ft going up to 5.0. Looking for good extension in room to 10hz? Either two or four subs prob needed to get that low with any authority, so price is a factor........

Note: Don't even mention AE they are not viable in my book until they can deliver drivers, reliably.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio
budget involved here?
I really don't know how to answer that.... Drivers get exponentially more expensive for incremental performance gains.....

Assuming 2-4 drivers with previous constraints, most performance per dollar. In this configuration the most performance per dollar could be scaled up or down by duplication.....

In other words if the driver A is 2X as expensive as driver B then for the purposes of my question, Driver A would have to demonstrate 2X the performance of 2 Driver Bs.

Notice I did not restrict footprint so much, but within realistic constraints. I'm not putting something the size of 8 F-20s for example in any of my setups.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can't come up with a top 5. But mabye the top two based on whats avalaible are the Dayton's HF (500w 3u ft) and MKIII. What can trump those two is mabye the JBL W15GTi MKII 15 (but almost 2x+ the price new). Though smaller, the LMS R12s (500w 2.5 cu ft) and Epic 12 (800w 2drivers 2.5 cu ft) are avaliable.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you are not in a big rush, Bob at CSS has been testing the new SDX15 and hopefully it will be ready for the market soon.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz
knew i should have bought 20 mfw-15 drivers from Erich for resell. lol
Hmmm...I have 4. Do you think people will buy them for $150 each?

On a serious note, I wonder what the ETA is for the AV15s from AESPeakers.com. I thought it was November time frame for new orders.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Nah, I still need to build some F-20s to compare against other designs.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
Hmmm...I have 4. Do you think people will buy them for $150 each?

On a serious note, I wonder what the ETA is for the AV15s from AESPeakers.com. I thought it was November time frame for new orders.
I'm waiting on the AV15's to make a comeback, myself.

Looks like my SS RLp18's will not be returning. Not sure if the Mal-X will ever come back. The LMS-U is obnoxious expensive. Still no word on the new Mach5 18's/21's. *sigh*

Right now, I'd say go with some Dayton Ref HF/HO's for 15's. Maybe their Titanic 15 MKIII, even.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" driver is a good one for DIY.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well if you're looking at 2-4 15"s, how about the Ficar SSD 18.

I modeled it up yesterday (sorry, the machine I'm typing from is a Mac, so I can't generate graphs right now), and one seems to model similar/better than a pair of HO 15s in 5-6 cubes. It has good sensitivity and more xmax than the Daytons, so you can be more liberal in your power input/eq'ing without running out of excursion.

A pair would set you back about $200 less than 4 Dayton RFs.

Note: Please recheck the modeling on these. I was looking at about 10 different combinations of drivers and sealed/vented alignments at the same time yesterday. I don't believe I modeled it against the HFs, as I was concerned that 2 RF HFs in 5-6 cuft might be a small enough enclosure to cause oil-canning.

Best,

C.

Edit: What about the ED 19 OV.2? Another 18-to-replace-two-15s-option. It's driving me nuts not to have WinISD. Can someone put up the models for 2 Daytons vs 1 Ficar SSD 18 and 1 19 OV.2?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20779409

Still no word on the new Mach5 18's/21's. *sigh*

Yeah this is starting to get to me a little as I'm about to the point where I'll be needing mine that are already paid for. I havent sent any emails to see what the status is but I was under the impression it should have taken 8-12 weeks for production. Its about 12 weeks I believe so hopefully soon we shall see these and I'll have a semi unloading mine to my new theater ; )

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
I know a company that can build some really nice 18's. I was worried about the demand in the 18" price range right now, so I sort of let the project sit on the back burner.

The company also builds some really nice 15's.

I'm not sure what their smallest run would need to be, but could try and find out.

·
Premium Member
14,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/20780585

I know a company that can build some really nice 18's. I was worried about the demand in the 18" price range right now, so I sort of let the project sit on the back burner.

I'm not sure what their smallest run would need to be, but could try and find out.

I mentioned in the other thread about replaceing the MFW's the question that shouldnt emminence have a similar driver they could offer?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/20780585

Do they make the good stuff?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/0

Some quality cost effective brandless 15's would be great!

·
Registered
7,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20780607

I mentioned in the other thread about replaceing the MFW's the question that shouldnt emminence have a similar driver they could offer?

The company I talked to about the 18's and beefed up 15's wasn't Eminence but yeh, I've mentioned that Eminence can build more MFW's, but the price would be somewhere around $100 each. I asked them when I was picking up the original MFW's.

Heck, I could check to see if they can build a new subwoofer around the Lab 15 model to get more X-max and change a few other specs to make it all work. I just don't know what to have them modify or change to make it worth everyone's while. I'm not sure why that model doesn't get more attention anyway. A group buy would put the Lab15 well under $200.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20780628

Do they make the good stuff?

Yes, the company makes some very nice products. I spoke with the owner on the phone for about 30 minutes back in June and we've exchanged some emails. He was going to get back with me regarding pricing, but it sort of died before that happened. I just waited on him and started working on the SEOS project.

I just fired off another email to see what he says.

Obviously the issue will be price and what the smallest order can be. If it turned out to be $350 or so and needed 200 minimum.....well, it doesn't take a mental giant to do the math.

I worry about doing "brandless" stuff because if someone buys it, I'd imagine if they wanted to resell down the road it might be harder to do. Then again, if we come up with an audio name.......

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/20780690

The company I talked to about the 18's and beefed up 15's wasn't Eminence but yeh, I've mentioned that Eminence can build more MFW's, but the price would be somewhere around $100 each. I asked them when I was picking up the original MFW's.

Heck, I could check to see if they can build a new subwoofer around the Lab 15 model to get more X-max and change a few other specs to make it all work. I just don't know what to have them modify or change to make it worth everyone's while. I'm not sure why that model doesn't get more attention anyway. A group buy would put the Lab15 well under $200.

Your very aware that the Lab15 is a much different animal than the MFW.......

I would however like to see a sub using some of the robust qualities of the Lab15 but with a lower Fs, Higher Vas, Higher X-max, Higher power handling, and Higher sensitivity........

Is that too much to ask?

Again I don't know what to ask them to change either, but the lab 15 was not designed for the low stuff and does very little above 20 from what I can tell.

OH BTW if the price point is 350 there are more options once you double and triple the price, IMO thats not where the vacuum is.....

1 - 20 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.