AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given up on back light frames at $185 a pop, so I'm just looking for basic black frames. I need 4 27x40 frames and 5 11x17 frames. What was the cheepest source you all found for poster frames?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found some on sale at Garden Ridge here in Charlotte. They are 27x40. They were two for thirty bucks. I also saw some in an ad in just this Sunday's paper. I don't remember the store though. They had their 27x40 frames on sale for ten bucks! It was a national retail store. Check your Sunday's ads and see if you can find it. I already threw all my ad out.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Target usually carries a very basic version.

I found 2 pretty scratched up and the manager gave them to me for $20.00 total.

Some black spray paint and back to normal.

Victor

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tcable, where di you order them from?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this topic so search around a little. Michaels will FREQUENTLY have a sale for $10 27X40 frames. I think this is what Dave was trying to figure out. They are not very nice though. I bought 5 and quickly retired them. $50 down the tubes. The $20 ones at Suncoast are better (nicer frame, it is a solid frame instead of those cheap four sided slide on edges that the Michael's frames have- edges that also wreak havok on posters). I regret not getting decent frames as they are very noticable at that size. Check out a place like FrameUSA. My personal Fav is the Black Leather and I plan on ordering about 10-12 of the 27X40 and 27X41 (for older posters) at around $35. Others can be had for 25 that are far nicer than the other options discussed so far. This should show you some options: http://www.frameusa.com/woodfram.htm There are a lot more choices throughout the site as well. Each is available in a bevy of sizes so you can match your frames as well. Much better frames for just a little more than the plastic eyesores I now have in abundance.

As far as the lightbox goes, there is also a lot of discussion about the DIY variety. This is a GREAT thread with a lot of links and good ideas.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=496487

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had found these before you posted the frame USA link but was a littel put off by the fact that they don't have a return policy. these Has anyone tried these specific frames? I like the look of them, but it is difficult to tell, and I'd hate to buy that many frames and hate them.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
This is more of a commercial site. There are substantial minimum order sizes. I was quoted $130 for a black leather frame at Michaels for what I believe is the same product (except it included a glass rather than plexi front-usually about a $8 diff) during their 70% off sale. When you get a discount like that you don't ask for special service as well. The frames you picked out are a little thin for my tastes but I PROMISE you they are substantially better than the Michaels and Suncoast frames, which are both very flimsy.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Got my frames at IKEA, becoming my favorite store.. Frames are standard 27x40 and hold posters nicely.. They even come in blue colors to match my downstairs paneling.. check out my gallery for pictures.. hope this helps.. Matt

·
Registered
345 Posts
Less than $20 each at Wal-Mart. Basic black plastic frames; however, the "glass" is actually plastic, so they can warp pretty easily. OTOH, the plastic has little bit of static-cling going initially, which can help keep the poster in place while you're putting the whole thing back together.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have heard others say they like IKEA as well but when I went there the sizes were a little bit off. Everything is metric of course, and I really thought it was close but not quite.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Another vote for Suncoast.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Coolhand: my posters that I got from www.allposters.com fit perfect into the 27x40 frames. Check out my gallery for some examples.. Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.