AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I missed all the Christmas sales, I am waiting for some New Years sales.

I want to buy from newegg, amazon, frys, or strike me now, best buy.

All the TVs I have been researching are out of stock or prices are too high again.

Where is all the inventory? Are stores selling out waiting for the 2009 models to arrive?

I think I want the Panasonic TH-46PZ85, but my mind can change quickly. It was $1,100 last a few days ago and now it is $1,250

I even saw the Panasonic TH-46PZ800U at Best buy for $1500 but that was too high for me and I can't find the 42 inch version (Panasonic TH-42PZ800U) for less than that.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think I predicted this would happen a while back when the economy started tanking. I'm pretty sure we're seeing the effects of reduced production from manufacturers and retailers who aren't willing to gamble on ordering massive quantities of consumer electronics that they may have to drastically reduce in price just to make warehouse space. Reduced supply has a stabilizing effect on prices even in a bad economy...meaning that manufacturers won't have to lower the wholesale prices because retailers will buy just enough to meet demand. I'm afraid the days of massive overstocking and the subsequent blowout price reductions may be gone. There will still be sales with great prices, but stock will be much more limited.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15428496

I think I predicted this would happen a while back when the economy started tanking. I'm pretty sure we're seeing the effects of reduced production from manufacturers and retailers who aren't willing to gamble on ordering massive quantities of consumer electronics that they may have to drastically reduce in price just to make warehouse space. Reduced supply has a stabilizing effect on prices even in a bad economy...meaning that manufacturers won't have to lower the wholesale prices because retailers will buy just enough to meet demand. I'm afraid the days of massive overstocking and the subsequent blowout price reductions may be gone. There will still be sales with great prices, but stock will be much more limited.

or in Circuit Citys case, the manufacturers not giving up inventory when they are owed money

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerinfo /forum/post/15428463

Now that I missed all the Christmas sales, I am waiting for some New Years sales.

I want to buy from newegg, amazon, frys, or strike me now, best buy.

All the TVs I have been researching are out of stock or prices are too high again.

Where is all the inventory? Are stores selling out waiting for the 2009 models to arrive?

I think I want the Panasonic TH-46PZ85, but my mind can change quickly. It was $1,100 last a few days ago and now it is $1,250

I even saw the Panasonic TH-46PZ800U at Best buy for $1500 but that was too high for me and I can't find the 42 inch version (Panasonic TH-42PZ800U) for less than that.

Too bad you didn't see my post about this not too long ago:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post15375914

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerinfo /forum/post/15430255

you seem so confident. Is this a pattern or do you know something we don't.

Watched the news yesterday and an analyst stated this, I hope this is correct because I have been holding out. Other analysts say the best time to buy is 6 - 12 months after a model has be released.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have seen this pattern in the past few years. Last year I bought a Kuro for 25% less than the street price. It took nearly 5 months for the price to drop so much.

I have been waiting patiently to buy a Pioneer 5020 and I hope to buy it with in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Exactly what are the tax implications of having inventory over the New Year? Unless there is a tax on the value of inventory that a company holds in its warehouses in some states in your country, I don't understand how holding inventory can have tax implications.

Can you please explain?

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm /forum/post/15431542

Exactly what are the tax implications of having inventory over the New Year? Unless there is a tax on the value of inventory that a company holds in its warehouses in some states in your country, I don't understand how holding inventory can have tax implications.

Can you please explain?

Company I worked for use to always reduce inventory down to minimal levels at the end of the year to keep from having to pay tax on the value of the inventory. I'm sure that's the reason many stores are low, plus the Christmas buying season is over. I would expect inventories to come back up in the next week or so and some sales to follow. The lead up to Superbowl Sunday has always been a big target of TV retailers.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth79 /forum/post/15432838

Costco website $3799... for a 6020....

Dropping more?

I have a price from magnolia only a bit more than costco- I don't know if the pricing will get much less than this- I am holding off on CES to see if anything "new and exciting" is launched.

Always curious, if anyone knows I would love you to share

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 /forum/post/15432521

ces?

the consumer electronics show, where many/most tv manufacturer's introduce their coming year's model lineup and announce prices and expected shipment dates, sometimes.

also known as the date that many wait for, thus procrastinating even further and never making up their minds about what set to buy...

http://gallery.theficus.com/gallery2...serialNumber=2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...DBF&q=ces+2009

TVbc

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15432571

Company I worked for use to always reduce inventory down to minimal levels at the end of the year to keep from having to pay tax on the value of the inventory. I'm sure that's the reason many stores are low, plus the Christmas buying season is over. I would expect inventories to come back up in the next week or so and some sales to follow. The lead up to Superbowl Sunday has always been a big target of TV retailers.

I trust the % tax paid on inventory is on a state-by-state basis. Does anyone know what it ranges? Also, does anyone know what the policy objective is in taxing inventory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.