AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like an asinine question, but I'm serious. I have no idea if its pointing (in general) S, SE, SW, SSW, SSE, etc.

I ask this because without a compass I have no clue what to use as a reference point for aiming my OTA antenna, which needs to point at about 240º (WSW?) for the best reception.

Guessing, I'd say the D* 3-LNB is pointing to the south, in general. I'm in the 30518/9 zipcode, Buford, Georgia.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
I know this sounds like an asinine question...
Well, it does seem kind of funny coming from someone who lists his location in latitude and longitude. :p

But to answer your question: SW. Or more specifically, the 110° satellite (the one in the middle, so the one the dish would appear to be pointing towards) can be found at 220.8° from Atlanta.

EDIT: P.S.... what are you trying to pick up? Most of the Atlanta stations broadcast from points in town (I know, I'm right in the middle of most of them). 240° seems like it would be a little too west to me if you're trying to get Atlanta stations. I would think you'd need to point your OTA in roughly the same direction as your dish.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darin,

Using this with the Lat. and Lon. you already noted yields direction and distance for those stations in my general vicinity. Also, this tells me where the bulk of the Atlanta stations are grouping themselves at.

Currently, my OTA (just noticed again) is point roughly East, hehe. No wonder I'm not picking up the local NBC affiliate, which is at 239.7?. So, using the known general direction of my D* pointing location, I need to dramatically change the 4228's direction.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Using this with the Lat. and Lon. you already noted yields direction and distance for those stations in my general vicinity. ... No wonder I'm not picking up the local NBC affiliate, which is at 239.7?.
Oh, ok, I think I see where the slight discrepancy is. Looks like you're using the default Magnetic Declination on that page. Using this map , we only need about -3° of compass correction for our location, which will show those stations as being just a little more south than you first thought.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that one before. I've generally used http://www.antennaweb.org/ , which is a little easier (you don't have to know your lat/long, or magnetic adjustment), but it doesn't show the station distance. It does show a map with vectors to each station, which is handy, and also gives you suggestions on antenna categories required for each.

Interestingly enough, I'm less than three miles from the majority of these towers, and they say I need a "red" antenna, while you're much further, and skim by on green. :confused:

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. I just moved the 4228 and now its pointing slightly right of where the 3-LNB dish is pointing. I rescanned for channels and now have both NBC and Fox, which I did not have initially.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Just for technical accurateness here... :) The change between compass and true north is 'magnetic variation'.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
WanMan, just curious, how did you get your location down to such an accurate number? Do you have a GPS? On the internet, I can find mine using my zip code (not very accurate), and using msn maps I can get it down to five decimal places. How many feet (or inches? :eek: ) accuracy does 7 decimal places get you?

Oh, and leesweet, I must apologize for my offensive mis-terminolgy. ;)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, its not that accurate. I cannot remember the website I got it from, but its based only on my zipcode, which is rather new. There is a website (need to find it again) that let's you zoom nine (9) times and then gives you the corrdinates for the center of the map. I think the following is it:

http://www.juggling.org/bin/un.cgi/map-find

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I am treating the broadcast antennas in and around Atlanta (those contained within the I-285 perimeter) as a grouped point-source since the 4228 is a directional antenna.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Cool! Henceforth, I'll be known as +33.754897,-084.349660. :cool:

And I need to correct my previous statement: I'm less than four miles from almost all of the Atlanta digital towers. But since they are in all different directions, I'm having to use two antennas to get them. I'm not getting UPN right now, but an antenna adjustment may fix that (it's only a mile away, but in the wrong direction). The digital PBS stations are not up yet (I believe they are due within the next month), but all the others I get at or near 100%.

The only other stations I don't get are 51 (PAX) and 41 (religious, I think). I won't put any effort into fixing that.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend also lives within the Perimeter and cannot get ABC. He did a location lookup between his home and the ABC tower and found the IRS building in the way. First his money (taxes) and now his entertainment (ABC Monday Night Football).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.