AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched, unsuccessfully, for the actual Russ Herschelmann Mode calculator instructions found in his Home Theater Architect column in the March/April 1999 issue of HTA (which has long gone out of production). If anyone has the actual article or can point me to a link, I would appreciate it greatly. This article is referred to by a lot of people regarding mode and other acoustic calculations, hence answering what and where to build issues. Thanks to the community.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chinadog, That is one of the articles that makes reference to the one I'm after: "In the March/April 1999 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, Russ Herschelmann describes how to use a spreadsheet to calculate resonant room modes in his "Home Theater Architect" ("HTA") column. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
fisherman,

I saw the reference, figured thats what you were referring to. Just call me "Mr. Google"

Bob,

No clue on this stuff. I have a room with soffits. How does that play in your first link? Also, what are you suppose to do with the generated results?

Edit: Looks like when I use 8 feet, it shows some yellow for the lower frequencies, and generated a little hook at the end of the graph. When I use 9 feet, it shows a good curve. IMy main ceiling is 9 feet, 8 feet under the soffits. It's about 50/50 height wise (you'll have to look at my pictures in my thread/album to understand my issue).

Here's my layout. The blue vertical line at about 13 feet is for the riser location, but has soffit above it. Its not obvious from this drawing that the soffit itself is 6 feet wide. the side soffits are 16 inches and the from soffit will be about 36 befor the false wall goes up. Under the soffit is 8 feet, in the main part of the room is 9 feet.
http://images11.fotki.com/v210/photo...rrounds-vi.jpg

Thanks,

Bud

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BasementBob, Thanks for the updated links - I'll make use of them. I have been using the download from the article Chinadog linked to. I find it interesting that authors say to go see the Russ H article for a better understanding of the calculator but no link to this better understanding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.