AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to get a reading on the 61.5 satellite. I found the 119 in about 1 minute. In my Zip code (54915) I know the Elevation (32) and Azimuth (144) but cant seem to get it.

Is there a website that makes locating it easier? Any suggestions? How bout just a direction?

Thanks Much

Mike Flanagan

------------------

"If you want an Expensive Hobby, why don't you take up house repair!" ~ The Wife

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
How about a good compass http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ?

Also keep in mind, that programs don't take into account the magnetic deviation (the settings from the IRD should, though). Also, When you're aiming for the 61.5 bird, do it with a cable hooked directly to your receiver - no switches until you're peaked. Switches will only work once they can get a signal.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for the info. I'll be at it again tomorrow. It's kinda like digging for treasure. O.K. I need to get out more.

Thanks

Mike Flanagan

------------------

"If you want an Expensive Hobby, why don't you take up house repair!" ~ The Wife

·
Registered
151 Posts
As someone else said, hook the 61.5 dish DIRECTLY to the receiver to point it. I made the mistake of hooking it up to the switch.

Brian

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have to agree.... When trying to get 61.5 do not go through the switch. I tried for 2-3 hours one night trying to get a signal from 61.5 when hooked to the multiswitch. I was about ready to pull out my hair. I finally started troubleshooting the problem. Unhooked 61.5 from the switch and ran it directly to the receiver. I had a signal in under a minute. Once I knew I was good, I hooked it back to the switch went inside and ran the switch setup (bing) it was there.

Hope this helps

DWhite

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dwhite,

I did not have it going through the switch fortunately. I called Dish network and asked him where, relative to my location (WI) was the 61.5 bird? he said in the SW sky. I heard another person say SE sky. I'm such an idiot I cant use a compass.

So the question is. If I'm looking at a map of the US, and I'm in NE Wisconsin, over which state would I point the dish? More like Florida or more like Arizona? I know my Elevation is good. I leveled the pole etc.. I'm at 32 degrees.

Thanks again guys, I'm lickin my chops to get the HD sat.!

Mike Flanagan

------------------

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi Mike,

Quote:
So the question is. If I'm looking at a map of the US, and I'm in NE Wisconsin, over which state would I point the dish? More like Florida or more like Arizona?
If the Azimuth is 144 then you should be pointing Southeast, so towards Florida.

This might help, 0 is North, 90 is East, 180 is South, 270 is West. Everything else is in between.

NOTE: The above is a rough guideline. ;-)

Good luck!

Roddie

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it! Hehe, thanks for all the help...thread closed!

Mike F.

------------------

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha! Thanks, I think I need to move this dish to the other side of the house. For some reason I thought that the two dish's were aimed in the same general directions, stupid me!

And the dumb DISH CSR telling me that its in the SW sky really threw me off.

Thanks

Mike F.

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.