1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I use the following SVHS tapes:

120: JVC ST-120SV

160: Fuji ST-160 ProS

210: JVC ST-210XG

For me using DVHS tapes is a waste of money, as SVHS and DVHS use the same exact tape (even Widescreen Review mentioned this in their May issue I believe.) The deck will switch to DVHS mode automatically after about 10 seconds after you insert an SVHS tape with DVHS recording on it. To record in DVHS however you will need to manually push the DVHS button.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Leszek1,

You could also buy a bunch of them and then spend a few minures drilling holes in the right locations, correct?

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Leszek1,

You could also buy a bunch of them and then spend a few minures drilling holes in the right locations, correct?

-Mr. Wigggles
Sure, but I don't bother. I only have to push the button once per tape ever. Unless you are annoyed about the 10 second delay during the beginning of the playback there is no advantage of drilling the holes. I'm not bothered about the 10sec delay at all since I always have ~15 secods of blank at the beginning of my tapes anyway.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Earllier reports indicated that some folks were having difficulty with timer recordings on the JVC with S-VHS tape. Sometimes it would not switch to D-VHS mode. For my peace of mind, I batch process a case of tapes by drilling the one hole and fast forward/rewinding the tape.

I use Fuji 120, TDK 120, Fuji 160, Maxell 183BQ, and JVC 210.

Regards, Peter

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1

For me using DVHS tapes is a waste of money, as SVHS and DVHS use the same exact tape (even Widescreen Review mentioned this in their May issue I believe.) .
May I add to this subject by mentioning an article in the japanese HIVI magazine (june 2001).They visited the JVC tape factory and asked : is DVHS the same as SVHS ?

The answer is yes BUT, DVHS tapes are the same material as the best SVHS tape.

In JVC's case it is the same tape as the XZ tape. The other difference is that the DVHS tape undergoes 3 times as much quality checks to ensure lower dropout rate than the JVC SVHS XZ tape.

Also JVC brought a photo showing how less expensive SVHS tapes have a much coarser surface.

This rough surface will scratch the head of the DVHS deck, which leads to improper contact between tape and head can results in increased drop outs.

SVHS XZ 120min tape (780 yen)
http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/Produ...=4975769143144

is priced similarly the DVHS 120min tape (750 yen)

http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/Produ...=4975769238437

Rob

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have used many hundreds of tapes now. First I used just S-vhs based on folks inputs but seemed to have issues here and there. I then started to use only D-VHS tapes and have yet to have an issue. I know many have never had a problem but at the small cost difference between tapes, I would rather put in stuff that my gut by watching drop outs, etc is better.

Cant prove it in an a/b test. The tapes are a small price compared to the rest of my equipment.

dave

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CRT_Bob

May I add to this subject by mentioning an article in the japanese HIVI magazine (june 2001).They visited the JVC tape factory and asked : is DVHS the same as SVHS ?

The answer is yes BUT, DVHS tapes are the same material as the best SVHS tape.

In JVC's case it is the same tape as the XZ tape. The other difference is that the DVHS tape undergoes 3 times as much quality checks to ensure lower dropout rate than the JVC SVHS XZ tape.

Also JVC brought a photo showing how less expensive SVHS tapes have a much coarser surface.

This rough surface will scratch the head of the DVHS deck, which leads to improper contact between tape and head can results in increased drop outs.

SVHS XZ 120min tape (780 yen)
http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/Produ...=4975769143144

is priced similarly the DVHS 120min tape (750 yen)

http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/Produ...=4975769238437

Rob
Are different heads engaged for S-VHS record/playback? The JVC deck is a S-VHS deck as well. I hope playing s-video material (on S-VHS material) doesn't scratch the heads.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What is the US equivalent to the XZ tape? XG? I just bought some more JVC ST-120 SVHS tapes. Scratching the heads is scary. I have the same question as Mr. Wiggles about whether there are different heads engaged?

·
Registered
871 Posts
CRT_Bob,

Have you checked your private messages?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fireball
What is the US equivalent to the XZ tape? XG? I just bought some more JVC ST-120 SVHS tapes. Scratching the heads is scary. I have the same question as Mr. Wiggles about whether there are different heads engaged?
The XZ is the so called "professional master quality..".

The XG is a lower quality than XZ but priced much lower (120min, 2280 yen for 10pcs)

http://www.bicbic.com/wcsjapps/Produ...=4975769245251

Rob

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If they are not separate heads, then JVC's comments make no sense. The JVS 30K would be a flawed design since it plays SVHS tape but playing such tapes impairs its operation.

Why would DVHS heads be more succeptable to scratching than SVHS heads?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
I keep Fujii 120, and 160 as well as a few JVC DVHS 420's in stock. These seem to be the best bang for my buck. I have had some issues with Maxell SVHS tape on the Panasonic recorder but they record fine on the MIts and then play back fine on the Panasonic. I have had one DFS420 DVHS tape from JVC that refused to record on either deck. It was loaded with dropout in SVHS recording on a MItsubishi SVHS VCR. Probably an isolated defective tape.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fireball
If they are not separate heads, then JVC's comments make no sense. The JVS 30K would be a flawed design since it plays SVHS tape but playing such tapes impairs its operation.

Why would DVHS heads be more succeptable to scratching than SVHS heads?
The comments made was from JVC Tape manufacturer only, which is a separate group than the JVC electronics/DVHSrecorder manufacturer.

They (JVC Tape company) also mentioned on the article that a lower quality tape reading can produce more drop-outs in digital use, especially for HD, but on an analog playback (SVHS) this translates into just noise, sometimes barely noticable.

Which means that the same defects/wear on heads or tape are far more noticable playing digital HD than analog content.

Rob

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
IMO, avoid any SVHS Maxell except their BQ product.

SVHS, no problems with case or two of the Sony V Series, and a bunch of cases of the standard Fuji ST.

DVHS, no problems with Panasonic & Maxell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.