AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have all kinds of stuff on receivers now, even XM & sirrius that I suppose those companies paid to have included but where is the HD radio feature?

I've seen stand alone "radios" that are HD & plenty of car HD units but no AVR HT type receivers with it.

Is HD radio going to be like quadraphonic in the 70's & never catch on or is it just too new to be included in the latest receivers?

It seem to be perfect for a high end home unit.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good but all those are in the $5000 range!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I'd love it too, in a mid-range receiver... ain't spendin' that kind of money. I also plan to get it in the car when more receivers offer it without needing overpriced extra modules (*glares at Alpine*) for it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Apparently there is little market demand for HD radio. Perhaps XM radio has fulfilled people's need for better than FM. I for one have too many monthly payments as it is. I did not care to add another for XM or Sirius.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is HD Radio similar to XM in terms of content? I'm sure that the quality is there but what I'm worried about is that it will be just like regular radio (TONS of ads and blah blah talk with minimal music).

What's drawing me towards XM/Sirius is the lack of blah blah that people tell me about...

But it is a nice and FREE option...

Mike

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci1 /forum/post/0

Is HD Radio similar to XM in terms of content? I'm sure that the quality is there but what I'm worried about is that it will be just like regular radio (TONS of ads and blah blah talk with minimal music).

What's drawing me towards XM/Sirius is the lack of blah blah that people tell me about...

But it is a nice and FREE option...

Mike

HD is like FM radio. I heard some radio stations run an ad free HD broadcast though. You would need to look into what's available in your area.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
HD is generally the same content as FM radio. That is, it bites. It's not at all like XM or Sirius, which have hundreds of narrowly focused channels, and make their money from subscriptions more than ads.

That said, as with digital TV they'll be able to fit more channels in, so there may be more options.

And it's not "HD" as in high definition:

wikipedia article

If it's really 96 kbit/s, that's OK but not that good. Anything above a budget system would probably show the limitations of that. From my vague recollection XM and Sirius were higher bit rates, but it's been a while since I looked into that.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax /forum/post/0

What is your definition of "high-end"?

Well for my price range 2K is going to be high end!!

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/0

And it's not "HD" as in high definition:

wikipedia article

If it's really 96 kbit/s, that's OK but not that good. Anything above a budget system would probably show the limitations of that. From my vague recollection XM and Sirius were higher bit rates, but it's been a while since I looked into that.

HD Radio sounds light years better than XM or Sirius. Both of which are so bad I can't listen to them even as background music. The average bitrate on XM/Sirius per channel is well under 50kbit/sec. Their channels are limited to a max of 64kbit/sec and bitrate is passed out based on the numbers of listeners. IE: the more obscure your music tastes on XM or Sirius are, the worse they sound because less bitrate is allocated to them. HD Radio on the other hand is 96kbit/sec. HD Radio also seems to have a much better perceptual codec than XM or Sirius.

I greatly prefer the sound quality of the analog FM tuner in my Alpine head unit to XM or Sirius. I'll take a little background hiss over flagrant and extremely blatant compression artifacts in the high frequencies. To its credit, the FM tuner in my Alpine HU is the best sounding FM tuner I've ever heard...

ps: The HD in HD radio doesn't stand for High Definition. It stands for Hybrid Digital.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/0

HD Radio sounds light years better than XM or Sirius. Both of which are so bad I can't listen to them even as background music. The average bitrate on XM/Sirius per channel is well under 50kbit/sec. Their channels are limited to a max of 64kbit/sec and bitrate is passed out based on the numbers of listeners. IE: the more obscure your music tastes on XM or Sirius are, the worse they sound because less bitrate is allocated to them. HD Radio on the other hand is 96kbit/sec. HD Radio also seems to have a much better perceptual codec than XM or Sirius.

I greatly prefer the sound quality of the analog FM tuner in my Alpine head unit to XM or Sirius. I'll take a little background hiss over flagrant and extremely blatant compression artifacts in the high frequencies. To its credit, the FM tuner in my Alpine HU is the best sounding FM tuner I've ever heard...

ps: The HD in HD radio doesn't stand for High Definition. It stands for Hybrid Digital.

XM & Sirius are low bit-rates even lower than iPod..

Higher resolution/quality is possible but then the # of station channels would be reduced...

Regarding the codecs for XM & Sirius, these are actually licensed from iBiquity which is the IP holder of HD Radio.. Due to the late start of HD Radio compared to XM & Sirius they have organized an HD Radio marketing alliance which owns about 80% of all of the AM/FM stations in the USA. Next they have developed an HD 2 channel which is a subcarrier of HD Radio, and these channels have target formats and few commercials as well as being free.. Now the user has many choices of radio tuner format...

AM..

FM..

XM..

Sirius..

HD..

HD 2..

HD Radio was slow to mature for many reasons including station changeover to the HD exciter..

Availablity of integrated, cost-effective silicon solutions..

Fragmented marketing programs..

But now things are rolling in 2007/2008 HD Radio will be very siginificant..

Just my $.02 worth...

·
Registered
533 Posts
When will the HD radio tuner be as common as the FM tuner? When will we see HD radio tuners in $200 receivers?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Who cares? HD radio is a non starter unless they radically change the content, and there's no sign that's going to change.

And even then, now that portable players and media servers let you select your own content, they'd have a tough battle.

It may make sense in cars, but at home do you really listen to most FM radio? Unless you're lucky enough to have a great college station, or listen to NPR, it's become a total wasteland.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/0

Who cares? HD radio is a non starter unless they radically change the content, and there's no sign that's going to change.

And conversely I can say the same thing about XM and Sirius. If they don't up the quality it's a non starter for anyone with decent hearing regardless of the content. If my only listening option was satellite radio or silence, I'll take silence every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse /forum/post/0

When will the HD radio tuner be as common as the FM tuner? When will we see HD radio tuners in $200 receivers?

I'm also interested in this. Why is it that $150 head units for cars offer HD tuners yet expensive (~$1k) receivers for home theater systems don't.
That IMO is asinine.

Is there a list of all $1k (or less) receivers that have HD tuners? I can't imagine it costing the manufacturer that much more to implement that feature if the aforementioned relatively dirt cheap head units can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.