AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see sub-forums for Plasma, LCD, OLED, projectors..... where do I go for regular old LED HDTVs ?

I'm in the market for a 60" and have some questions based on my research.
Also have some questions about my existing Samsung UN55F6300 LED HDTV

Please advise; thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
I see sub-forums for Plasma, LCD, OLED, projectors..... where do I go for regular old LED HDTVs ?

I'm in the market for a 60" and have some questions based on my research.
Also have some questions about my existing Samsung UN55F6300 LED HDTV
Technically there is no such thing as an "LED TV", it's just a misleading marketing term to describe an LCD TV that is lit by LEDs instead of a CFL lamp.

Use the LCD TV forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/

Reactions: Kaldaien

·
Banned
425 Posts
I sort of like "Liquid Crystal Diode Lit Display". But that's not going to confuse consumers into thinking their LCD TV is a different sort of technology or related to OLED, which is the only conceivable reason the TVs are marketed the way they are. We never called previous generation LCDs "CFL TVs", but I think maybe we should start :p

Incidentally, there are "regular LED displays" used for advertising billboards and such and I cringe every time I drive past one. They can use 5-20x the power of a typical American household because they have to be bright enough to be seen during the day. They are totally unrelated to what you'd walk into Best Buy and pickup if you looked for an "LED TV".

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
There are no regular LED TVs, as in Television reception and display device. The LED displays don't have a reception device built-in.

Latest pitch claims on direct view LED displays are for 0.75mm by Aoto, this makes for an 65" diagonal 1080P resolution display. Commercially available lowest pitch is around 1.1mm. There are some great displays, with the latest low pitch generations of the past year or two. Add an anti-moire coating, and these make for great in-studio backgrounds, set, and displays. And for large UHD or better TVs, last year SiliconCore showed 4K signal scaled to what was more or less a 5K display, being modular, the resolution is not always trational TV geometry.

See Matt Brennesholtz, in front of the SiliconCore 1.5mm pitched unit last year:

See how he got darker being in front of this bright display, and the camera clamped down.

100 amps at 120V, for this 268" diagonal display.

·
Banned
425 Posts
100 amps at 120V, for this 268" diagonal display.
Indeed, and these buggers when scaled up to billboard size and made bright enough to be viewed in direct sunlight actually require their own air conditioning or they'd melt. Nothing about them screams efficient. I seriously get physically angry when I see one on the side of the road, that energy could have been used for something important and they could have just applied decals to the billboard instead.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Actually these draw less power than classic billboard type LED displays. And those billboards used to be 6-16 milimeter pitch, so using far fewer LEDs. And these actually provide an higher cd2/m value than classic outdoor versions. And do you know what efficient means, or are you like most people that equate that with low effort, regardless wether the objective is met;-). You could say that if paper or vinyl prints could have been used they don't use the electronic display to its potential. One must indeed be careful in selecting the applicable technology.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Actually these draw less power than classic billboard type LED displays. And those billboards used to be 6-16 milimeter pitch, so using far fewer LEDs. And these actually provide an higher cd2/m value than classic outdoor versions. And do you know what efficient means, or are you like most people that equate that with low effort, regardless wether the objective is met;-). You could say that if paper or vinyl prints could have been used they don't use the electronic display to its potential. One must indeed be careful in selecting the applicable technology.
No, my definition of efficient is a device that doesn't have a carbon footprint that makes baby Jesus cry. The more of these we start adding, the worse our aging electrical grid gets. They have to be air conditioned out of necessity in the summer, you could take 5-20 houses off the electrical grid and it wouldn't even account for the energy consumed by 1 billboard. The worst of the worst push close to 50x the power consumption of a typical household.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts