AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16x9, 84"x49", (80"x45" viewable) screen. The room height is about 90 inches. I intend to have a row of seating on the floor and eventually build a 12 inch riser for a 2nd row of seating behind the first. 3D renders can be seen in my gallery or on my web page. What is the reccommendation regarding screen mounting.

How far down from the ceiling should the top of the screen be? Is there a common answer or is this a subjective question.

reaper

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Reaper, i measured the couch height as someone would be sitting and then transferred my dimensions to Visio. From there, i was able to find the sight angles of the riser and where the screen should be placed on the wall. Rule of thumb is that your direct line of sight should be 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

I live in Zionsville, come by my HT sometime!

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, we are close. I had never noticed that. Kind of weird that we have almost the same number of posts too. Mapquest shows that it'd be less than a 1/2 hr drive for me to get to Zionsville. I live in Fishers on the NE side of Indy. That'd be cool to drop by sometime. You should do the same eventually when I have something worth seeing... or before then to help me build it :) hehe.

Thanks for the rule of thumb. So, I am guessing my eyes to be about 45 inches from the floor. I read your rule to mean that 2/3 of my screen should be above 45 inches. So, (2/3)*45=30. So, that places to top of the screen about 45 + 30 = 75 inches off of the floor. So, the frame should begin around 13 inches off of the ceiling and the image should begin 15 inches off of the the ceiling.

OK, so if I buy the AE700 and mount it onto the boxed in I-Beam, that puts the lens about 13" (I-beam box) plus mount height (?) plus about 2" from the bottom of the unit to the center of the lens. So, that puts the center of the lens about 15"-20" down from the ceiling. So, it sounds like my lens will be right at the top of my image.

They say not to use extreme lens shift as it causes convergence issues on this projector. I believe this equates to a 50% lens shift. The max is 63%. I wonder if that's extreme. hrmmm...

Well, thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here is the Visio layout...

http://thewebbspot.com/stl-web/galle...ment.sized.jpg

And here is a good shot of how the sceen is placed...

http://thewebbspot.com/stl-web/galle...5506.sized.jpg

I am very pleased how it turned out, the rear riser is very easy to see over the first row. If you are going with a 12" rear riser, i would recommend a step .

I am still trying to finish up the trim in the room and build my sconces, but it is fully functional. In the near future, I would like to have an Indy HT get together for anyone that is interested in coming over and checking it out.

BTW, your renders are really sweet. What software did you use?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickwebb
Reaper, i measured the couch height as someone would be sitting and then transferred my dimensions to Visio. From there, i was able to find the sight angles of the riser and where the screen should be placed on the wall. Rule of thumb is that your direct line of sight should be 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

I live in Zionsville, come by my HT sometime!
Hi Patrick,

When you say the direct line of sight should be around 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen, do you mean for the front seat or the raised 2nd row?

Much thanks for sharing. Great looking setup you have.

J

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBryant
Hi Patrick,

When you say the direct line of sight should be around 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen, do you mean for the front seat or the raised 2nd row?

Much thanks for sharing. Great looking setup you have.

J

Generally it's the first row (front), because doing this based on the raised 2nd row could put the screen too high for someone in the front row (without getting neck strain). Of course, if your reference (preferred) seat is on the riser, then you could do it in reference to that seat, but it might be slightly uncomfortable for guests.

Stew

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I thought the rule of thumb was the bottom of the screen should be 2.5 feet above the ground. Is that true?

Also, (this is a bit of a double post) I've checked out projector central a few times, checked out the throw and screen size calculator, and still have a question. Is there a way to calculate the minimum viewing distance for someone seated if front of a projector. My room is 19w x 15d x 7.5h. I believe the sofa will be 9-10' away from the screen, and I have a natural PJ mounting spot about 14' away from the screen. My target screen size is 100" diag..

At what distance to the screen will my head cast a shadow on the screen? Is it better to go with a short-throw projector mounted closer to the screen? Has anyone run into this?

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickwebb
BTW, your renders are really sweet. What software did you use?
Thanks for the compliment. They were all done in a free software package called Blender. You can get it from blender3d.org I think. That is the first time I've ever drawn anything in 3D. It did take a bit of effort to read through some of the online tutorials, but I think it was invaluable for allowing me to try different colors and ideas. Very cool..

reap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.