AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving in to our new house later this week, and I need some help figuring out where to put the tv in the family room. Our big DLP will be in the basement, so this TV will primarily be used for everyday tv watching.

Here's a picture of the room:

The spot above the mantle immediately jumps out, but I'm afraid of neck strain. (I've read the post in the flat panel forum) The next location that comes to mind is where the existing TV is in the picture, but I'm planning on getting a 42-50" lcd or plastma, and that would really block the built-ins on that side. Notice the windows on the right wall, as well, and the doorway on the left that leads to the living room. Glare will undoubtedly be something I need to deal with.

The photo was taken from the kitchen/table area, and my wife would like to be able to see the tv when she's working in there, too.

I welcome all suggestions!

·
Registered
380 Posts
whats to the left of that double door?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd put it over the fireplace.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeers /forum/post/17023912

I'd put it over the fireplace.

+1

It's just screaming this position, which made me try and see another good position, but I'd say don't fight it. Get a mount that you can angle down, or maybe one that articulates and bring it lower for when you are watching it...and then you can put it back in position when it's in "storage mode".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Move all the books from the left book shelves to the right book shelves where the TV is now.

Remove all the shelves.

Mount your flatscreen in the space where the shelves were removed with a full-motion mount.

Run your wires down into the cupboards below and keep your components in there.

That way you've got the best possible angle for viewing from every seat on that massive couch.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce /forum/post/17025264

+1

It's just screaming this position, which made me try and see another good position, but I'd say don't fight it. Get a mount that you can angle down, or maybe one that articulates and bring it lower for when you are watching it...and then you can put it back in position when it's in "storage mode".

+2

I think over the fireplace would look awesome.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the only real option is over the fireplace. It would look very nice there too! We had a 42" LCD up higher than it should have been for years and I've never experienced any neck strain. I don't think it was up that high but close.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Put it where that tx is now. TV's over fireplaces = lame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.