AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement and will have both a TV on one wall and a projector screen on an adjacent wall (see the attached floorplan)

I would like to have the option of playing the xbox 360 on the TV or the projector.

I have this xbox (but have not opened it yet):
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-.../dp/B002I0J9W0

I assume it has HDMI but hard to tell.

I will have an equipment room under the stairs and it would be easy to hook up the xbox to the TV.

I will also have HDMI cables running from the projector to the equipment room so I should be able to hook up the xbox to the projector.

I think the only issue is adding a Kinect. Anyone have some suggestions?

I think I have the same issue with our wii sensor.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Have you bought an AVR yet? You could buy an AVR that has dual HDMI outputs and have the AVR do all the switching. You should be able to run a cable to the projector with no problems from the electronic closet under the stairs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20804762

Have you bought an AVR yet? You could buy an AVR that has dual HDMI outputs and have the AVR do all the switching. You should be able to run a cable to the projector with no problems from the electronic closet under the stairs.

How is that going to help with adding a kinect? can you explain a little further?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Well gee, if the idea of a twin HDMI is baffling...don't know what to tell you.

The Xbox, I assume, can only be linked to 1 kinect, so I guess you'd have to move it from one place to the other (
)

So...what does the fact you need us to tell you what to do with the Kinect have to do with why you can't figure out why you would want a twin HDMI out receiver...

hint:

You are the one wanting two displays here, I kind of thought the recommendation was completely obvious...but I guess not.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
LOL lots of people have a huge TV they can lower in front of a slightly less huge TV on demand? Financial crisis, what financial crisis?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20805628

Well gee, if the idea of a twin HDMI is baffling...don't know what to tell you.

The Xbox, I assume, can only be linked to 1 kinect, so I guess you'd have to move it from one place to the other (
)

So...what does the fact you need us to tell you what to do with the Kinect have to do with why you can't figure out why you would want a twin HDMI out receiver...

hint:

You are the one wanting two displays here, I kind of thought the recommendation was completely obvious...but I guess not.

Easy there. I don't own a kinect. So I didn't know how it plugged in.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
you can make life a whole lot easier by locating your equipment box under the tv you're mounting on the wall... and still put the projector screen anywhere you want it, either way you're probably not going to be able to set up your kinect configuration in one place, you'd need to decide where you want it to go.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would put the Kinect with the TV since that is closer to the area where you are going to store your 360. I wouldn't want to move the Kinect all the time going back and forth between displays. If you later decide that you want the Kinect on the projector, you could move it over and run a USB extension cable to it. On second thought you may want to check the Kinect thread as I bought mine separate. If you buy a bundle, I think it comes with a special cable. I am not sure how an extension cable would work with that. The TV close to the storage area would be fine as it is close enough to use the cable it comes with.

The AVR with dual HDMI outputs could still give you 360 goodness on either display. Kinect would be only for the TV. Not a big deal IMO as I don't use my Kinect anywhere near as much as a regular controller for gaming. It would also be easier to setup at an ideal height with the TV.

Formula has a very good point with setting up the gear inside the room it is used in. This saves a lot of other problems that can arise. Do you really want to leave the room to change a game disc? I also don't know how well the controller signal travels through walls. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat
LOL lots of people have a huge TV they can lower in front of a slightly less huge TV on demand? Financial crisis, what financial crisis?
You need to work on your manners. Lots of people with front projectors have a flatscreen in the same room when they just want to watch the local news or some dumb show that doesn't require a 120" screen. Having both screens share the same wall space would solve the Kinect issue. You should post something useful or go elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. /forum/post/0

You need to work on your manners. Lots of people with front projectors have a flatscreen in the same room when they just want to watch the local news or some dumb show that doesn't require a 120" screen. Having both screens share the same wall space would solve the Kinect issue. You should post something useful or go elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure ultracat was using irony for the purpose of making joke. You know, a joke?

Just in case:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

In this case he was using the crushing global recession in which many have found themselves out of work and unable to purchase basic commodities such as food/shelter/clothing as a contrast to the suggestion that "lots of people" have enough expendable income to splurge on not one but TWO large screen displays as a comedic irony to illicit a humorous response. This attempt at humor, as you have made obvious, was lost on you.

As an aside, I would suggest you study this interaction as you will find this exchange in abundance across not only this forum-- but across the ENTIRE inter-web! Next time, you will be well prepared to avoid drawing attention to your apparent lack of humor and (who knows) might actually greet your next encounter with a subtle chuckle!

Good luck to you, Sir!

PS: This post contains a healthy amount of sarcasm-- you'll find it hot-linked in the article I posted above.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. /forum/post/20805784

You could put the tv on the same wall as the projector screen. Lots of people have a screen that can be lowered down in front of a tv set when needed.

I guess I opted not to do that (and question whether I may have made a mistake).

That was originally my plan. To have a motorized projector screen in front of the TV that would roll up and roll down. Ultimately, I decided to go to with a fixed screen because motorized, acoustically transparent, tab-tensioned screens are a fortune (and that's the only way I would buy a motorized screen).

The basement is almost completely drywalled now (wiring buried) so no turning back now.

I think I will hook up the xbox360 to my projector and leave it at that. If I want to hook up the kinect, then I will change to the TV. Probably should not be a big deal considering the alternative cost of a motorized AT tab-tensioned screen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. /forum/post/20812111

You could always add a second Xbox to your setup.

Easiest fix right there.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain /forum/post/20814273

I might get a refurb

Buy an Arcade and a USB memory card to shuffle between the two Xboxes. If you check the Xbox deals thread you may come across a good package.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.