AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been lurking for a while and have been drooling over all of your theaters. I just recently purchased a house a few months ago and I am working on transforming our basement into a dedicated theater. I realized I have been throwing money every where and have started way too many projects. Now I walk down into the basement and half my ceiling tiles are installed have the drywall is installed etc....you get the point!

This next week I have the drywall company coming in to finish the drywall and two days later the new carpeting comes in. So to get to the point, can you guys recommend my next few purchases? I am focused on hardware more than anything buy I am open to suggestions, what I have now:

Projector: BenQ W1070 (I want to upgrade this but not terribly disappointed in it so it will due for now)
Screen: Elite Screen Electric 120" (Again been scoping out the SI Zero Edge Screens but not necessary at this point)
LR: Sonus Faber 2.5 Venere
Center: Sonus Faber Center (can't recall model, that was an expensive day at Magnolia!)
Rears: Martin Logan SLMs
Sub: NEED RECOMMENDATIONS
AVR: X3100W
Player: Oppo 103d

My room dimensions are roughly 20' x 14'

What would you guys recommend I do next? I know I need a subwoofer so if you had any recommendations for my room dimensions that let me know. Should I work on getting a different projector and screen? Butt kickers?

Also note, the seating is taken care of.

I have about 5k in the home theater envelope at the moment and its burning a hole. Help me out!

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I have been lurking for a while and have been drooling over all of your theaters. I just recently purchased a house a few months ago and I am working on transforming our basement into a dedicated theater. I realized I have been throwing money every where and have started way too many projects. Now I walk down into the basement and half my ceiling tiles are installed have the drywall is installed etc....you get the point!

This next week I have the drywall company coming in to finish the drywall and two days later the new carpeting comes in. So to get to the point, can you guys recommend my next few purchases? I am focused on hardware more than anything buy I am open to suggestions, what I have now:

Projector: BenQ W1070 (I want to upgrade this but not terribly disappointed in it so it will due for now)
Screen: Elite Screen Electric 120" (Again been scoping out the SI Zero Edge Screens but not necessary at this point)
LR: Sonus Faber 2.5 Venere
Center: Sonus Faber Center (can't recall model, that was an expensive day at Magnolia!)
Rears: Martin Logan SLMs
Sub: NEED RECOMMENDATIONS
AVR: X3100W
Player: Oppo 103d

My room dimensions are roughly 20' x 14'

What would you guys recommend I do next? I know I need a subwoofer so if you had any recommendations for my room dimensions that let me know. Should I work on getting a different projector and screen? Butt kickers?

Also note, the seating is taken care of.

I have about 5k in the home theater envelope at the moment and its burning a hole. Help me out!

Thanks
Ha just read my post, apologize for the spelling errors....ridiculously tired! "Half the drywall is installed."

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Looks like you need a sub. I would look at SVS or PSA. I have an SVS PC13 Ultra and it fills my room rather nicely with low end boom and rumble.

I wouldn't waste money on a new screen unless you think it's too small. I've had a 120" for years and have never thought I needed bigger. I also have an older JVC RS1 PJ which suits me just fine. I don't care about 3d and 4k is too far away. So if it were me I'd be buying a sub right now. A theater MUST IMO.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks like you need a sub. I would look at SVS or PSA. I have an SVS PC13 Ultra and it fills my room rather nicely with low end boom and rumble.

I wouldn't waste money on a new screen unless you think it's too small. I've had a 120" for years and have never thought I needed bigger. I also have an older JVC RS1 PJ which suits me just fine. I don't care about 3d and 4k is too far away. So if it were me I'd be buying a sub right now. A theater MUST IMO.
Completely agree with the drunk dude in a tuxedo.
A sub would completely transform your listening/watching experience. A pair, even better!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
If you wouldn't mind using some glue and wood clamps, you would get a lot more for your money building a pair of 18" subs with the flat pack sub boxes from DIY Sound Group.

With a few extras, your still under $1000 for a pair of high performance subs. Utilizing two will allow you to move the subs to maximize the performance in your room and even out any room modes you many encounter.

Reactions: Tedd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you wouldn't mind using some glue and wood clamps, you would get a lot more for your money building a pair of 18" subs with the flat pack sub boxes from DIY Sound Group.

• Total - $868

With a few extras, your still under $1000 for a pair of high performance subs. Utilizing two will allow you to move the subs to maximize the performance in your room and even out any room modes you many encounter.
BillDo,

Interesting you mention this I was just on the DIY group the other day scoping out the subwoofer kits. I did however notice the one flat pack you linked to is currently "out of stock." Any idea how long it takes to get these back in stock? I would not be against building my own.

I also was looking on parts-express and found the Dayton 18" sub and cabinet kit any idea how this would compare?

Another question, as a self proclaimed newb, would you recommend 2 or 4 ohm with the amp you specified?

I will hold off on ordering the SVS until I hear back. That would save me a lot of $$$.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My just placed order below....anything I missed or any thing I effed up?

Wired Home SKRL-14-100 14 AWG OFC Speaker Wire 100 ft.
Part # 100-021

20$29.17$58.34

XLR Female to RCA Female Adapter
Part # 240-428

20$5.89$11.78

Neutrik NL4FX Speakon SPX Series 4-Pole Cable Connector
Part # 092-190

20$4.19$8.38

Wired Home SC3 Single RCA Audio/Video Cable 3 ft.
Part # 181-401

20$4.47$8.94

Parts Express #6 x 3/4" Deep Thread Pan Head Screws Black 100 Pcs.
Part # 081-435

10$2.90$2.90

.205" (16-14) Female Disconnect Crimp Terminal Blue 50 Pcs.
Part # 095-282

10$4.20$4.20

FREE Full Line Catalog
Part # CATALOG

10$0.00$0.00

Parts Express Gold Recessed 5-Way Banana Speaker Terminal Cup Rectangle
Part # 260-309

20$5.50$11.00

Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet Package
Part # 300-7099

Includes:
QtyPart #Item1
Knock-Down MDF 4.0 cu. ft. Subwoofer Cabinet for Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO or Ultimax Subwoofer1Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil

20$354.90$709.80

Behringer NU6000DSP iNUKE 6000W Lightweight Power Amplifier with DSP
Part # 248-6710

10$399.99$399.99

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Dang, you move fast. I didn't think that money was literally burning a hole in your pocket.

You're going to be plenty satisfied with that sub kit. Good choice. You may already know this, but with that amp you will want to wire the dual 2ohm voice coils in series to make a single 4ohm load for the amp. I can't remember exactly what the real world power is for the 6000, but it will be more than enough to blow up your new investments. Go slow as you dial these in.

In a perfect world, I may have picked a couple different components. First I may have gone with 12Ga wire, just because that is a very high power amp and I'm a belts and suspenders kinda guy. Second, I'd recommend a Speakon connector for the subs rather than the terminal cups. Nothing wrong with those, just after using Speakon connectors I'll never go back to traditional speaker inputs. Just my .02. Lastly, I think you might be taking it in the shorts a little for that catalog. That's way too much. ;)

All in all, for a "newb", you did really well. Once you get everything delivered, you should start a build thread over in the DIY speakers forum. I don't think there have been too many threads with this kit. It would be interesting to see it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
To the OP - good choice. The only thing I would recommend is one more sub - another Dayton/flat pack combination - your amp will easily drive it. You will get much flatter and smoother bass response in your room going with two subs, and you will add very little cost to the project.

Don't take my word for it - read any number of articles explaining why 2 subs is better than one - and it isn't about playing your bass louder.

I have the same sub set-up you do, with the same amp, btw - just a different driver. You chose well!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Also I personally would recommend a larger screen - you have a dedicated room. You have a bright projector (even after calibration). You won't regret it and they are CHEAP. Check Amazon - you can get gigantic screens from Silver Ticket or Elite Screens for well under $500 delivered - either acoustically transparent or solid.

Reactions: bam2413

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
To the OP - good choice. The only thing I would recommend is one more sub - another Dayton/flat pack combination - your amp will easily drive it. You will get much flatter and smoother bass response in your room going with two subs, and you will add very little cost to the project.

Don't take my word for it - read any number of articles explaining why 2 subs is better than one - and it isn't about playing your bass louder.

I have the same sub set-up you do, with the same amp, btw - just a different driver. You chose well!
It's a little hard to read for the formatting, but he is getting two subs...

2 @ $354.90 $709.80

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Also, now that you have bass covered - I would recommend acoustic treatments (bass traps and acoustic panels). Try a value company like GIK Acoustics - they have packages for cheap to get you started.

Here are the basics explained in Home Theater Geeks Acoustics 101 and 102:

GIK Room Kits:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/room-kits/

Reactions: bam2413 and BllDo

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's a little hard to read for the formatting, but he is getting two subs...
My bad - I thought his parts list showed only one sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the 18's along with the flat packs came today. All I can say is wow, these things are huge!

Only got to check them out shortly as I had to get to work. Dry fitted the box and got the drivers out of the box. I will start a new thread on the build with pics here in the next few days. Recruited a relative to finish the boxes in piano gloss black.

Stay tuned....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts