AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...Where should I put the rear speakers in my HT.

System will be:

B&K 507

Front full range floor standing speakers (TBD)

Center matched

Rears???

Environment:

Large open great room

Lively (some hard surfaces)

10 foot ceilings

REAR SPEAKERS WILL BE MOUNTED 9 FEET HIGH (6 FEET ABOVE LISTENING POSITION)

Options:

Position A: Using monopoles

Position B: Using monopoles or bipoles

Position C: Using monopoles or bipoles

(can't use dipoles b/c can't set a perfect null space)

Or should I move to a 7 channel system (don't really see the point when nothing is recorded in 7 channel right now...I can always upgrade later).

I think Position B is best using monopoles because it is a lively room (don't want sound bouncing everywhere). And aimed at the listening post about 3 feet above the listener...

Any other suggestions??? Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe I misread, but it looks like these are being used as side surrounds and not rears so I would place them in position C then when you add rears place them in position A. Also, how high are your ceilings? While it is good to mount them above the listening position, if the speakers are mounted at 9 feet, I would make sure that they are still far enough below the ceiling to avoid reflections.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Position B looks like a good place. The way the speakers would be angled would probably give you a natural sound. I'd go with B if my living room was like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glade - I am trying to stick with just a 5.1 system now. These are supposed to be the rear surrounds. I have had some people tell me to do position B in bipoles or C in bipoles instead of position A. So I'm just trying to get some forum opinions since I trust them more than the guys at the local store. Also, the ceilings are 9'10" high and I have to place them about 9' high because I am attaching them to a soffit built into the ceiling, the wall is actually farther back than the diagram. But I would angle them to just above the listening position.

Ken- would you use dipoles or monopoles in position B? remember that it is a lively room. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I agree - 5.1 - position b Monos

For 7.1 go with C and A, but bring the As in about 4 ft apart, monos all the way around avoiding the need/delima for a perfect null spot.

BTW, 7.1 is not a complete waste, beyond the 20 or so movies out there. You can map your rears to L/R + Surr back for 5.1 source material and it gives you a real nice rear sound stage.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally I took it to the next stage... had my B&K AVP3090 upgraded into allowing for 8.1.. to me, it's really allowing for a truely superior rear sound stage.. on your diagram it is prettymuch the C + A + a center between the A's..

Man does it make for some great sound! Have it setup to matrix out a Center Channel out of the right/left rears.. in the case of 5.1 audio, it takes the 2 side channels, matrixs a right/left rear, and also a rear center..

if you have the money to go this route, it's really amazing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.